• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Owls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not the easiest of games to try and arrest our recent slump, although we've tended to do quite well against the Owls in recent home fixtures. Les has made comment about axing players and also fielded a very strong reserve team who beat Oldham midweek, so it will be interesting to see what changes are made.

My hope would be that there isn't a wholescale change for this game. Defensively we did ok against Cheltenham, the goal we conceded was a penalty as a result of an unfortunate challenge by an attacker. OFW had a handful of saves to make, most when Cheltenham counter-attacked after we lost the ball. RLC highlighted the problems experienced with the unfamiliar defensive pairings at Chesterfield and for a game against opponents of this calibre, keeping the same back four seems the best bet.

There seems more scope to change things further forward. While it might be possible to play both Robinson and Baxter, it is unlikely. Reports from the reserve game suggest that while Devaney scored a cracking goal, he didn't look 100% fit I would expect him to feature at some point, but perhaps not from the off. Enoch was subbed during the reserve game, so expecting Tiryaki to start again. Les seems to view Welsh and Weir as untouchable, so it looks as though there will only be one or two changes in personnel from against Cheltenham. Let's hope that at least there is a change in attitude.

Prediction (Sadly?) I won't make this game, but with the away side selling all their tickets, there should be a good atmosphere. I would expect the highest crowd of the season, but no more than about 6.5k. A draw would be an acceptable result here, but I can see us losing this by a couple of goals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We need to get back to winning ways on saturday against a team with a fairly poor away record so fat this season.

Our 4-5-1 system should be more suited to playing sheff wed and im going for a 2 1 home in

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with Boz that wholesale changes are unlikely. I think talk of "the axe" is a ploy to gee players up in training. Having said that, I can't see Baxter being left out and we have certainly missed Devaney. I'm glad Les and not me has the problem of working out who to leave out.

Thankfully this is certainly not a "must win" game. It would be no surprise or disgrace if we lost. Even if we were on a winning streak, this would still be true. However, if we do lose, then my concern is that we will likely drop into the bottom half of the table and it will sap morale a bit more and make bouncing back a little more difficult.

I am reluctantly coming round to Sonko's view that the players were just not up for it against Chesterfield and Wycombe. I hope he's right, which should mean that a league game against a top side will bring out the best in them. If not, I don't know where we go from here.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm looking forward to Saturday a bit more than usual. Should be a good atmosphere.

It will be interesting what side Les picks. Baxter I am sure will come back in as our poor run of late has coincided with his absence. He hasnt set the world alight with his performances but we did well when he was in the team.

How Robbo fits into that only time will tell. He could play him wide but would need to drop McGurk or Lucas (not justified IMO although can't think what Lucas has done in the last 4 games compared to his early season form). I expect Devaney to be on the bench and like others, don't expect major wholesale changes.

I reckon Les would take a point with this one, and rightly so given their league position and a good win they had at Morcambe last Sat - I think he'll put the emphasis on getting men behind the ball and being solid first half. Then see how we go in the 2nd. If we concede an early goal we could be in trouble as confidence won't be great.

Lets hope we can get back to looking solid and nicking a goal (although a few more would be nice!)

I would go for:

OFW
Raven Goodi Ash Buchanan
Weir Welsh
Robbo McGurk
Baxter
Enoch

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Think I'd leave Baxter on the bench...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looking forward to this one. Always nice to see a good way following, creates a bit more of a buzz and everyone seems more up for it. It'll be a tough one but Owain Fon Williams has assured everyone that the lads will be going into the game with a bit of fire in our bellies. That remains to be seen, but it's certainly nice for Les to have a full squad to choose from.

Baxter to come straight back into the team. Got a feeling Turyaki will be relegated to the bench too.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Les will start with Baxter in the hole. Where that leaves Robbo I'm not sure, but I get the feeling Adam McGurk may be dropped for this one, with Devaney / Robinson on the left. I hope Tiryaki and Taylor both keep their places.

I like the way in his pre-match interview Les listed all 20 fit squad members and basically said to Megson 'pick eleven out of that' ! It is difficult to second guess the team form the manager's comments these days.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I hope not but I predict a bit of a twatting coming our way tomorrow.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would hope Tiryaki keeps his place, Baxter to come in for Mcgurk Robbo in the left position of the front three.

Im not sure why people are that worried about sheff wed just look at their away form so far its not that impressive, weve beaten better teams than them in the past no reason why not tomorrow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Im not sure why people are that worried about sheff wed just look at their away form so far its not that impressive, weve beaten better teams than them in the past no reason why not tomorrow.

I think the Owls could best be described as inconsistent, but they are 3rd in the League and have won their last two away games, while Rovers have failed to score in our last two homes. While our opponents are not unbeatable, to be in with a chance, we must be creating far more than the Cheltenham game.

I am not convinced of the merits of starting with both Robinson and Baxter, although one advantage of the line up suggested is that OFW will have to come up with something other than the kicks to the wide player. Robbo isn't great in the air and in that aspect McGurk is better than Akins. I think Enoch will return, rightly or wrongly, but Ash Taylor may get the nod ahead of McChrystal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Robinson and Baxter are creative players and need to start tomorrow. We need that level of creativity in the squad and sometimes it can just take that one pass. Something McGurk and Akins lack. I don't care what it takes to get them two in the squad but you should always accomodate your best players. I'd also like to see Devaney start and give us something a little more imposing on the left side.

I really hope the players are up for this one. If they aren't, they shouldn't be playing. Should be a good game. Come on Rovers!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Is JJ fit for them?

I just don't think we're good enough to be able to accomodate two players with such bad natural fitness as Robbo and Baxter, regardless of how good they are.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I just don't think we're good enough to be able to accomodate two players with such bad natural fitness as Robbo and Baxter, regardless of how good they are.
Well, they are both in the starting line-up, so we'll soon see how long they last.

Status
Not open for further replies.