• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Addicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another tough game ahead. Charlton haven't had the best of starts and currently are 10th. Like Rovers, they're hoping to get another goalie on loan after their first choice keeper broke a bone. We got torn apart 0-4 under Barnes last season, hoping we can do better.

Team news; it sounds like Welsh will be fit enough to start. A batch of new and continuing injuries make McGurk, ITM and Darville doubts, while some relief, as in Les' words "McLaren still isn't right" My starting line-up, assuming none of the injured make it, would be;

Collister
Cathalina/Blanchard Grandison Goodison Cresswell
Labadie Welsh Mendy
Morrow Showumni Fraughan

Cathalina hasn't been impressing at right-back for the reserves, while I saw Blanchard there pre-season and he didn't inspire...actually think Darville's better than both and he's no shining light. Akins could replace Fraughan, but as Ryan's one of the more creative players we've got prefer to keep him in the team.

Prediction. 4.5k crowd see Rovers lose again, though it will be a closer game than last year 0-2 or 1-3

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Another tough game ahead. Charlton haven't had the best of starts and currently are 10th. Like Rovers, they're hoping to get another goalie on loan after their first choice keeper broke a bone. We got torn apart 0-4 under Barnes last season, hoping we can do better.

Team news; it sounds like Welsh will be fit enough to start. A batch of new and continuing injuries make McGurk, ITM and Darville doubts, while some relief, as in Les' words "McLaren still isn't right" My starting line-up, assuming none of the injured make it, would be;

Collister
Cathalina/Blanchard Grandison Goodison Cresswell
Labadie Welsh Mendy
Morrow Showumni Fraughan

Cathalina hasn't been impressing at right-back for the reserves, while I saw Blanchard there pre-season and he didn't inspire...actually think Darville's better than both and he's no shining light. Akins could replace Fraughan, but as Ryan's one of the more creative players we've got prefer to keep him in the team.

Prediction. 4.5k crowd see Rovers lose again, though it will be a closer game than last year 0-2 or 1-3

Sounds about right, assuming we persevere with the 4-3-3. Otherwise I'd leave Mendy or Welsh out (haven't seen Mendy yet!) and go 4-2-2 with Bakayogo at left-back, Cresswell wide left and Fraughan playing narrow on the right. Morrow and Showunmi up front. We need a ****ing right mid. Cathalina isn't sounding too promising.

DIW

Player
Goodison
That's good news. Not knocking Joe, but he's very young and it shows.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mixed views on this one. Gulasci was a good keeper and contributed to our L1 survival at the end of last season. However what effect will it have on JCs morale? I'm not sure any of the goals we let in at Yeovil could be pinned on Joe. I'd hope that Les counterbalances this with a contract extension for Collister. Meanwhile Daniels will be in nets at the opposite end.

PS Gornell on the scoresheet twice for Accrington, will we be wishing he was still with us come tomorrow night?!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think bringing Gulacsi back is probably the right decision. While you could not pin any of the three goals specifically on Joe last week, his performance on the whole was a bit shaky and suggested the pressure of playing in the first team was starting to tell.

On the injuries situation, it appears that both Moore and McGurk have picked up knocks in training. Does anyone else get the impression that there is something wrong with our training methods, given that half of our present injuries seem to have resulted from challenges outside of first team games ?

We are so unpredictable at the moment, I really don't have a clue what will happen tomorrow.

SUCH FAITH IN THE PLAYERS

Sounds about right, assuming we persevere with the 4-3-3. Otherwise I'd leave Mendy or Welsh out (haven't seen Mendy yet!) and go 4-2-2 with Bakayogo at left-back, Cresswell wide left and Fraughan playing narrow on the right. Morrow and Showunmi up front. We need a ****ing right mid. Cathalina isn't sounding too promising.

Whoever we get to play on the right is going to have to be something special to shore up the midfield in Sonko's 4-2-2 system, or is this just one more ploy from Johnsons spy in the camp to suggest we save even more money playing short?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
11 men isn't working, may as well give 9 a go.

PS Gornell on the scoresheet twice for Accrington, will we be wishing he was still with us come tomorrow night?!

We shouldn't be if his wages are spent on bringing in a genuine right-sided player. Curran has done well since leaving too...

I, for one, would have stuck with Collister. Although Gulasci is a great keeper at this level and we're lucky to have him.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Over the past week ex-Rovers have been scoring for fun - Curran, Gornell (2), Dagnall (2), Sordell (3).

drwhoman

ADDICKS GAME

Great result for the boys without ITM!! As other posts have said we got hammered last season and Charlton will be there at the season end. We are definatly better than this time last season (not hard I know!) but as Les says - with a young side you will have highs and lows - just got to minimise the lows.

On the previous post re ex players - Sordell was only on loan so he was not 'our' player while Dagnall was sold by Little not Les. I can only assume there was some sort of personal problem because I always thought Dagnall had potential. As regards the other two I thought Curran might have been retained but maybe he had made it clear he wanted to go - he is on bigger money at Carlile while one good game from Gornall does not mean we should have kept him, I suppose the fact that he was not being played as a target man did not help him. Square peg in round hole maybe.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Will start a new thread on the game itself.

Les didn't try that hard to keep Curran, offering him a worse contract than the one which had run out. By the sound of it, he's playing a similar role in Cumbria to that under Les last season. I think he is missed here for work-rate.

Sordell was played as a target man here and showed flashes of promise. It may be he's more a ball-to-feet type of player, doing really well.

Why Little had it in for Dagnall we'll never know. I saw him and Zola playing in the reserves when he'd fallen out of favour and he scored a great goal. However Little got rid while we kept the hapless Calvin for a couple more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.