• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 3-0 Stevenage

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was a very good result today. Couldn't have asked for a better start really which set the tone of the game. Cassidy looks really good and certainly has an eye for goal. He's got a good shot, good movement, good pace, just a shame he couldn't get a third. He looked a little bit weary in the second half.

Shock of shocks, Akins had a decent game. Not getting carried away, he was no Robinson who had a superb game today, but he was certainly better than Enoch who had a poor game. Everything he touched today just bounced off him.

Really solid team display though. Back four were excellent and Fonners had very little to do apart from tip over a free kick in the first half. Midfield were equally as good too.

Good to see them over their 'blip' against Bury and back to playing some really good football. Those 3-0 scorelines remind me of the good old days. There was only one team in it today.

SWA!! \\:D/

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rovers 2 Boro )

A very professional performance, and a deserved victory.

There were a number of impressive displays today, notably from Robinson, Buchanan and Wallace, but my man of the match would be Lucas who had his best game for many weeks and topped it off with a goal.

Cassidy took his two goals expertly once again, and looks a great prospect. Outside the box he is very raw, but inside it he is lethal, and I can't remember the last time we had a youngster at Prenton Park with such a gift for finishing. It would be great if we could have him for an extended period, but I don't know if that is a realistic prospect.

The back four were generally solid once again, with Stevenage's only two opportunities of note coming from minor ricks from Goodison. Stevenage looked decent in possession and played better football than when we met them before Christmas, but had less devil in the final third. I think much of the credit for this goes to Holmes and Akins and how well they dealt with Freeman out wide.

Good to see a big crowd at PP, although there were the predictable problems in accommodating the extra fans that we have come to know and love. Fantastic to be eleventh in the table.

Note: apologies for the deliberate mistake with the scoreline above. Still in shock that we scored three without reply.

Player
Nixon
i really enjoyed the game , normally I would say 'defo value for money'
but they where worth more than £5 \\:D/

Good to see a big crowd, was getting pissed off with comment from a muppet behind me,
Quotes like 'Ronnie needs to get a sub on before its too late' ----- 65mins 2 up and coasting.

I thought Akins had a great game, had there left back in bits.
Robbo was awesome again.
Enoch wasnt great but has great presence and chased down well.

The best game Ive saw Wallace play, him and welsh didnt give there strong midfield a minutes rest.

Cassidy is class and is getting better.

When Brunt came on, he looks a donkey compared too Cassidy.

Would have liked to Zoooooooom on for Robbo to give him a rest

drwhoman

3-0

Cassidy is a real talent. Given their goalscoring problems I am really surprised that Wolves have let us have him for the season. Raw he might be but he is a rare English commodity these days - a striker whose main interest is sticking the ball in the net! He is worth picking for that alone - Liverpool please take note! Go the Rovers!

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
it was a great team performance today.jake Cassidy's two goals were excellent.the first a real poachers goal.the 2nd a real bullet header ,superb.

Andy Robinson was brilliant too he is a great player.overall the team were surperb and deserved the win.

it was great to see a big crowd hopefully a lot of them will be back for the Hartlepool game.:lol:

DIW

Player
Goodison
Excellent performance all round. great start (for once) and the game was pretty much all over. Cassidy as others have said has an eye for goal and getting him back on a loan next year would be great.
Thought Wallace played really well in the middle and Akins had a good game and deserved his goal. Only poor performances were from Enoch who looked very laboured, I suspect he might be let go at the end of the season, and Brunt who had no impact at all when he came on. Might be a bit harsh that though as he didn't have much time. I can't see him being back next season either.

51 points - at one stage not so long ago i couldn't see how the hell we were ever going to get to that point.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Every player did well,hard to pick motm imo..

Lucas didi well ,but played no better today than in any other matches i,ve seen him play..took his goal well ....!

We need showumbi up front no question ,i thought he did well yesterday..

With enoch and lucas up there wide,they look so much more of a threat than the 2 young lads...imo..

RM is class no getting away from it...

Previous manager had his training schedule all wrong, when one looks at the amount of injurys ( some serious) [-o<

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A comfortbale win, for me mom should be Cassidy he looks a good goalscorer at this level. Its amazing what a manager who knows about football and 4-4-2 can do glad we got Ronnie back when we did.

Player
Liam Palmer
Wallace was the main difference for me. The guy just has it and it shows how much we missed him at Bury. Still think Ronnie's formation leaves us a bit exposed in midfield, but that's not an issue at home when we are on the front foot.

Stevanage look a good, strong, compact side but didn't seem to have a cutting edge. Mind you, they don't play against that back four every week.

Lucas did really well, and I'd love to see him don the same to the Ginger Whinger on Monday.

The comment about Les and training schedules and injuries is completely unfair. Wallace got injured when Ronnie was manager. We'll see long term what the difference is but there's no way you can blame Les for the likes of Enoch's injury for example.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was an enjoyable day, with a much bigger crowd than I'd expected plus decent vocal support from around 300 visitors who'd travelled up from Herts making for a decent atmosphere. The 2 early goals coupled with some solid performances right across the park, made for a comfy afternoon. Although Stevenage looked a decent side, there was only the free-kick OFW tipped over and Goodi clearing off the line when our goal looked threatened.

Cassidy did well inside the box, his second goal was an unstoppable header, but the young Welshman is a long way from the finished article. He's now got to work on getting more involved elsewhere on the pitch, but definitely one for the future. Enoch did ok, worked hard, kept the opposing defenders occupied, even when his touch wasn't the best.

Largely agree with TT about Wallace's contribution, though he needs to eradicate some of the reckless challenges; the ref was fairly lenient yesterday. If there was a weakness with our game it was not making the right call having got into a good position, but a minor quibble given the performance. Now that we have got within a point of guaranteed safety, Ronnie needs to start looking at some others who haven't featured since his return . Maybe not starting games, but as subs who get some matchtime.

MoM Toss up between Robbo and Lucas, both highly influential.