• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 2 Bees 2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An open, entertaining game and a fair result in the end.

In the first 20 minutes today we played our best football for some time, epitomised by a great goal from Devaney. Brentford gradually grew into the game, but I thought the half time scoreline flattered them a little. The only real difference between the sides in the opening period was the quality of the strikers (I have said that a few times this season), and Alexander and Donaldson really gave a demonstration of everything we are lacking up front at the moment: that said, I thought Tiryaki did quite well today, working incredibly hard and linking the play better than he has in some recent games.

Our equaliser was fortuitous but probably deserved over the ninety minutes. I thought there were a lot of good individual peformances today, notably from Holmes and Baxter, who put in a fitting display in his final game. His reverse pass for Tiryaki in the firat half was outstanding.

I thought Brentford were generally the better side in possession, and we were wasteful with the ball at times, but we did also put a number of good moves together with the final ball letting us down on occasions, particularly when Zoum got in behind them down the left hand side.

I am encouraged by the last three performances, and think we should stay well clear of relegation, although the play offs now look a faint hope. It is a pity that Baxter is leaving, but Everton are apparently now looking for him to upgrade to a Championship club. The next two games on paper present a good opportunity to pick up points, and ninth place is still only four points away.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As BBTC said on the pre-match thread, an attacking line-up by Les' standards. I agree with the above regarding the quality of the football, which was definitely better from Rovers than recent fare. Brentford looked a capable side, with a quality strike-force, as RLC indicates, were the stronger of the two over the 90 minutes, so a point is a good result.

Rovers started brightly, even passing the ball from the ko rather than the hoof to the wing. Tiryaki had already had an effort when we took the lead. Great set-up by Baxter, well finished by Devaney, whose shirt-removing celebrations earned him an inevitable booking and seemed to be an outlet for recent frustrations. After a spell where both sides had chances, Rovers spurned ample opportunity to clear after a cross and Brentford equalised. The visitors then went ahead with a well-taken volley, again we should have defended better in the build-up. The half finished with Brentford well on top and they nearly scored straight from the resumption, a good save from Rachubka keeping us in it. Gradually Rovers clawed their way back into the game and a freak own goal from a Danny Holmes cross drew us level. Thereafter, Rovers had more of the play, but Brentford nearly scored with Ash clearing off the line.

Defence: Looked brittle at the back today. Rachubka did fairly well, a couple of saves kept us in the game and Holmes again looked capable on the right, but the central defenders weren't on top of their game.

Midfield: Fitness issues with Labadie, Devaney and presumably Welsh still has the knee problem, meant they weren't offering the defence the usual protection. Goal aside, Devaney didn't contribute that much, a combination of lack of match practice and being a bit selfish, nonetheless good to see him back.

Attack: Tiryaki tried hard and tested their keeper on a couple of occasions, he was less isolated here. Baxter played well on his Rovers swansong.

Subs: Two changes were enforced through injury. Weir didn't make much difference in midfield. Goodi didn't seem at his best today and was involved in a few nervous moments. McGurk put in some decent crosses.
Interesting Les' comments about only having one defensive sub on the bench, that being Goodison due to the option of using as a forward. Given only 5 subs are allowed now, is there any merit in not bothering with a reserve keeper? Sure there's a risk if the no1 gets injured or sent off, but particularly for home games doing without may be a risk worth taking.

Overall, glad that Les seems to have taken on board some concerns about adapting the side to the striker available and getting the full-backs going forward. Buchanan may feel hard done to, given his sound defensive contributions thus far. However, aside from his pace, I'm not convinced Zoum offers that much going forward. It may be that we need to set up more defensively away from home.

I'd agree that we're probably strong enough to stay out of trouble. Need to win one of our next two against sides below us and our chances of achieving that may depend on the quality of any striker we loan.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
im assuming Baxter isnt coming back for an end of season loan....?

DIW

Player
Goodison
Good reports fo Boz and RLC - both are pretty spot on. Personally finding the 'hoof' shout aimed at Ash Taylor pretty tiresome, there really are some tossers towards the back of the Kop.

Loved it when Holmes celebrated 'his' goal like mad. As if it was ever going to be credited to him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Baxter is returning to everton due to their injury problems then one they clear up they want him to go to a championship team on loan.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
An open, entertaining game and a fair result in the end.
Summed up nicely. Particularly enjoyed the second half which opened up nicely and both teams were playing entertaining football.

Thought it was going to be our day when we scored early on, but the lads put in a good shift and I didn't have many complaints. Really pleased Tiryaki played so well after my pre-patch comments. It makes a big difference when you get support from your team mates. He never gave up chasing the ball, played some neat passes, showed good touch with head and feet and also had the opportunity to rattle of a few shots.

Pleased to see Devaney back and I think he made a difference out wide. Bit confused why we went off so late in the game? Someone mentioned injury but he looked fine and was heavily involved in play up to this point. Replacing him with McGurk seemed an odd move, although to be fair, McGurk did put some good balls into the box.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the officials. They were dreadful. The referee was bad enough but those linesman. Wow, some off the offside decisions were terrible.

Enjoyable game though, and came out happy with a point.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Surprised no-one has mentioned the officials. They were dreadful. The referee was bad enough but those linesman. Wow, some off the offside decisions were terrible.
Ian, why do you say that? Thought the ref had a reasonable game, he had no option with the Devaney booking. Would agree that the AR on the Main stand side was flag-happy.

drwhoman

BEES GAME

I was interested in the comment that the ref had no option but to book Devaney. I assume this comment reflects an FA ruling of some description to do with it delaying the restarting of the game? Not too many people would get excited at Devaney with his shirt off! If so, I would suggest that the ritualised celebrations by Brentford particularly in relation to the first goal took as much if not more time than the Devaney incident but no action was taken. The ref just appeared to give them a 'hurry up'. Strange.
The Rovers second goal had an element of luck but it was at the end of a flowing move for a change!
From what I saw on the highlights Donaldson looked good - I assume he cost money? He scored a lot of goals for Crewe if I recall correctly. Shame we could not afford him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I'm unsure of the exact reason for the mandatory YC for removing a shirt, this has been enshrined in the laws of the game since 2004, so no player has any reason to be unaware of it. I take your point re Brentford's lengthy goal celebrations, the referee should deal with this by adding time. 2 minutes were added at the end of the half, so he may have compensated in that way.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Boz is right about the yellow card for Devaney.

Its a stupid rule but if the Ref doesnt do it, his assessor will put it in his report and he'll be deemed to have got something wrong and possibly have to referee a game at a lower level as a punishment. Not his fault and a stupid rule but Devaney should have known better although that said, some of it will no doubt have been relief to have got back into the side after so long out so hard to blame him really.

As for the game, agree with the comments about what a good game to watch it was. At half time I was thinking the difference between the sides was simply going to be that they had experienced goalscorers up front (Donaldson got approx 25 goals last season for Crewe and Alexander has scored for years), whereas we have Chicken...#-o

But credit the lads for battling back and full marks to Rachubka with some great saves ni the 2nd half.

To me though it just goes to show what a half decent side we could be with a decent frontman.

Once again Chicken worked hard, linked up well etc etc - but to me never looks like scoring. On several occassions both McGurk and Devaney floated decent balls into the box but can't think when anyone really attacked them. I like Chicken but he simply isnt good enough (harsh but true).

Regardless a good point against a side with one of the best away records in the league.

Now Baxter has gone, Les really has to look at our striking options as a matter of urgency.... especially with games coming up against teams around us which we can't afford to lose (Yeovil/Rochdale).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Donaldson was signed by Brentford on a free transfer as he let his contract run out at crewe.

The big worry for me is 1 win in 11 games and two games coming up we really need to get at least 4 points if we are to keep away from the bottom 4.

drwhoman

BEES GAME

In view of his goalscoring record Donaldson must have been able to negotiate a pretty decent slab to sign for Brentford. I think he is from Hull (?) so it was not as if he was going home to the big smoke. He took his goal very well.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Once again Chicken worked hard, linked up well etc etc - but to me never looks like scoring. On several occassions both McGurk and Devaney floated decent balls into the box but can't think when anyone really attacked them. I like Chicken but he simply isnt good enough (harsh but true).

Now Baxter has gone, Les really has to look at our striking options as a matter of urgency.... especially with games coming up against teams around us which we can't afford to lose (Yeovil/Rochdale).[/QUOTE]

I recall we probably agree on the Chicken front Sparky. I did think he had a bit of class, which he may well do - but as others point out the way we play does not suit. We have both said playing McGurk down the middle may make us play differently, but with Chicken there we will only be tempted to hoof it - and a target man he isn't.

In terms of new striker I note MK Dons have mutually parted company with a striker. Given it is a contract release it might be within out budget - FOC:-k

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
May start a new thread on striking options but....

Not sure who MK Dons have released - they released Lewis Guy about a year ago who I remember scored at PP once when playing for Doncaster. MK Dons are spoiled in attack really with Ibhere, Bowditch & Macdonald - all perhaps previous realistic forward targets for rovers given their previous respective clubs (Leyton O, Yeovil, Brentford), but just like Donaldson who left Crewe in the summer and scored against us on Saturday, we cannot compete with the wages other clubs offer.

Les has talked about having 3/4 calls out to Premiership managers - so presumably it'll be a youngster coming over on loan. Baxter was fairly successful so that will influence Les plus no transfer fee is involved.

I am still suprised by the lack of signings we make from non league. Teams still do it and of course there is a risk but even so other teams with poor budgets do it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Seems a touch unfair to criticise Les for not signing players from non-league whilst adopting a condescending tone about Tiryaki in almost the same breath.

Ca't help but feel that the simple view of "strikers not scoring = need new strikers" is a bit wide of the mark. It would take some player to score goals when that isolated/receiving thoughtless service.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Reference has been made above to balls played into the box which Tiryaki failed to attack. However, I don't see how our failure to get men into the box can be viewed purely as a failing on the part of Tiryaki.

If he holds up the ball and lays it off 30 yards from goal it will be a physical impossibility on the majority of occasions for him to get into the box and follow up the same ball. Midfielders need to get beyond him and the wide players need to make diagonal runs into the box, but this just doesn't happen often enough.

I have generally defended the 4-5-1 formation, but if we are not going to support the lone striker we may have to change the system, at least against lesser opposition. That said, we have scored five goals in the last three games so maybe we should not be so fixated on which players actually score ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tiryaki was the best man in that position. Could you have seen McGurk putting in a shift like that? People are too quick to come down on Tiryaki. Why is it always a case of 'he's not good enough'? Heard this so many times. Maybe we should be saying that to players who aren't in the game as much and put in far less commitment and desire.

Back to the officials. Referee was clueless to some of their antics which was at times a little bit farcical. Falling over for no reason, hand balling then falling over like you've been hit in the face and getting the free kick. Handball in the penalty area which the referee was feet away from. Poor offside decisions, especially in the 2nd half. Linesman putting his flag up for offside, then putting his flag down again allowing play to continue. Ridiculous drop ball decisions and losing play when we had the advantage..

DIW

Player
Goodison
Ian is right , the ref was crap, especially the drop ball decisions.