• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Crawley (3)

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Crawley

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Crawley (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 23, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 23, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ADD

Player
Norwood
So why if as Higgy2 says we are still planning on Norris and Dennis did we extend Taylor, start him and then drop him like the proverbial hot potato as soon as Adkins took full charge? This despite several MOM performances early season and extending his contract which we didn't need to do to "protect our asset" as he is under 24. Makes no sense him playing since the start of October a grand total of 45 minutes of football all played out of position at RM and not sending him out on loan where he surely would have atracted interest at NLN level or NL? This is one of those weird ones and I can see another "why did other clubs get a tune out of him like we couldn't scenario" in 2 or 3 seasons when he has gone

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would imagine Adkins will give both Dennis and Taylor game time in the remaining fixtures. The lack of a defensive side to his game is a factor in Sam not getting many minutes, although given his contract extension surprised he’s been bombed out so completely.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes it would be nice to see Dennis and Norris have a good run in the team but as you say we need to play to their strengths Norris is a handful think Dennis is more of a poacher in the box not seen enough of him to know really as for Taylor i just don't know its a shame because he has something about him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So why if as Higgy2 says we are still planning on Norris and Dennis did we extend Taylor, start him and then drop him like the proverbial hot potato as soon as Adkins took full charge? This despite several MOM performances early season and extending his contract which we didn't need to do to "protect our asset" as he is under 24. Makes no sense him playing since the start of October a grand total of 45 minutes of football all played out of position at RM and not sending him out on loan where he surely would have atracted interest at NLN level or NL? This is one of those weird ones and I can see another "why did other clubs get a tune out of him like we couldn't scenario" in 2 or 3 seasons when he has gone
Sam got his contract extension a few weeks after Nigel got appointed permanently. He has the longest contract of any player, so clearly Nigel rates him highly. Surely he is not playing because he is not yet capable of fitting into Nigel's system which requires building from the back and defending from the front. Going on loan would do no good as he has to learn the missing parts of his game from Nigel and his coaches, not by scoring hatfuls in the Northern Premier League.

Taylor earned himself a lengthy contract because he’s a diamond but, for me, still an extremely rough one.

Adkins inherited a serious situation that he felt required a bit more ready-made know-how to get out of, and that approach has been vindicated.

If (and only if) Taylor is still developing well, it’s only a matter of time before he gets a few more starts, possibly even this season, although appearances off the bench may be more likely.

I well remember Kingy used to pull youngsters out of the team for a while, even if they were performing. It’s just about managing their development.

Last edited: