• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Preston 2

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well, got my first glimpse of the new Tranmere. I have to say I was very impressed on the whole with the performance and we were a little unlucky to lose the game.

The Barnes philosophy is to play the ball on the deck and keep the ball as much as we can, or that's how it seems. In the first half we played very well, with the passing sharp and crisp, and players running with the ball and everybody comfortable in possession. It was a delight to watch, and not one high hoof of a pass from back to front!

In midfield and attack we were very good. Welsh broke up Preston's attacks so was impressed with him. McLaren looked like he had never been away and passed it really well. Shukes was running at people and playing nice little balls and working himself into space and making opportunities along with Alan Mahon who looked a little less fit than the others but we still saw some class from him, including a great cross for the goal. Ian Moore and Gornell looked really sharp up front and di well holding it up and bringing the midfield into play.

The second half we weren't quite so sharp and maybe Preston were a bit fitter and took advantage of that and brought some really good players on including Danny Mayor, and the game bcame disjointed with all the subs.

But a good workout, and we looked a decent footballing side and it was really nice to see although we lost. Only downside was the defending. Shambolic! Cresswell did well going forward, but we looked very shaky every time they attacked. Ash Taylor did well but wasn't helped a great deal in terms of organisation by trialist Abbey and Gareth Edds who although made some good tackles were all over the shop positional wise. And a special mention for Joe Collister. Our only keeper aged 17! Made some great saves including a pen at the end! Not sure I'd be confident to start him on August 8 but looks a keeper with a good future.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good report Coops. Well, I'm very pleased with what sounded like a good first half. Looking forward to seeing this passing, flowing football.

I think our main problems at the moment are going to be in defence and in goal. We need a decent keeper between the sticks and a more solid lineup at the back.

It need to be a lot strong than Abbey, Cresswell, Edds and Taylor but a good work out none-the-less.

So there were signs of good football to come?

On a side note, Danny Coyne played for M'boro today and kep a clean sheet. They were only playing Macclesfield however..

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah Taylor looks a good prospect, but just 18, and the keeper too at 17. But countless times they looked shaky at the back cos Abbey's positional play was atrocious. Edds too slow to track back at times and Riley (trialist from Spurs) didn't look to be the answer either.

We really need a decent right back, centre back and keeper. The Danish lad Hansen I believe has gone back to his club and won't be coming back. Not sure whether he did enough against Lairds to be considered again but doesn't sound like he's the answer. Abbey and Riley have come in and played two games, and didn't look good enough to me anyway today. So we need to go out and find some others.

Not sure whether they will be loan signings which we may need to wait on, or whether the money from the Andy Taylor transfer might be used to help pay wages of a defender/keeper on a permanent deal. Guess we just gotta wait and see.

All in all, I came away from the game pleased with the manner in which we played, especially first half. Think our midfield looks very strong, just got to work on the defence really. Hard to tell from pre-season games but I'm positive anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like this was a decent performance, but with only 3 weeks to Yeovil, there needs to be some movement on recruiting/loaning defenders and a keeper. I thought from SCoops report that Mark Allott didn't feature, but gather he was a sub. Any good?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Mark Allott came on with 20 to go. Didn't look anything special but it became disjointed by that stage so hard to tell and would be harsh on the lad to give a real opinion. The midfield looked weaker when Mahon and Welsh went off and Allott and Fraughan came on, having said that Fraughan had a couple of good runs and a great chance at the far stick to knock one home but hit it wide.

I'll probably go down to the games on Friday and Saturday v Liverpool XI and Macclesfield to give a real view on most of the players. Surely we must see some defenders and goalkeeper in the coming days.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'll go to one or other to see for myself, probably the Moss Rose as a ground I've not done. If we've not made progress on adding defenders by then it would be a concern.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm not worried at all by Allot. He's been great for Oldham and had a good career. Expect to see him play ahead of Welsh for the most part this season - I'd certainly hope for as much anyway, despite the former apparently looking good pre-season.

I won't be going to any games until opening day so appreciate the updates SCoop...