• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Notts County 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Late equaliser from John Welsh earning Rovers what sounds like a deserved and hard-earned point. Can't remember the last time we scored a late goal of significance. Needed the point too as Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Walsall had slightly unexpected wins.

Look forward to hearing from those of you in attendance.

drwhoman

GOOD OUTCOME

After conceding an early goal a good result against a form team. Late goal - no surrender!! Go you good things! Ronnie now has to decide if he needs a loanee or two with no Devaney or McGurk. Not sure Brunt and Enoch together are a good fit but guys who are at the game will have a view.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enoch and Brunt did OK together. It was Akins and Brunt that was in trouble. Akins really has no right to be called a professional footballer, he's dreadful. How he can be playing whilst Tiryaki is loaned out is beyond me.

Anyway, great way to end the game. Nice late equaliser. It's been a while, and it felt good. If I'm being honest, the football wasn't great. We started poorly and got the wake up after 4 minutes when County went ahead.

I think Ronnie decided to ditch the wingers (as we really didn't have any) and decided to lob the ball forward to as many bodies as possible. First half, County has some decent chances and we really didn't test their keeper. Second half, we really piled on the pressure and Ronnie made some good substitutions.

Enoch and Zoom made a difference and it was good to see Labadie back in the team. Did he dive or was it a penalty? Looked like a penalty to me.

But it was great to see Rovers push forward and show some fighting spirit. Whilst not pretty as times, we got the result in the end, and it was a good result. Now we need to make sure we pick up a win on Saturday, as we are edging very close to the bottom four.

The referee was dreadful too.

SWA!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a very good result with a new manager and a long injury list against an in form team who hadn't conceded for five games. It's rare for us to get anything from a match once we go behind. A win would have been a miracle.

By some miracle, we are still above the relegation zone. With our record since mid-October we should have fallen like a stone down the table, but we've only floated down like a feather. I don't think we'll fall any further but if we do, there is time for Ronnie to get the team organised.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with Ian that the Brunt / Akins combination did not work, but I think he is being a little harsh in his assessment of Lucas: let's face it, he has never been comfortable as an out-and-out striker. However, I would agree that the decision to send Tiryaki out looks daft now, particularly as Brunt is clearly struggling a little for confidence.

I thought we played some decent football in the first half, but were still lucky to be in the game at half time as County carved us open a couple of times and Fon Williams saved us with a couple of great stops. Second half was scrappier, but we showed good spirit, created a few decent half chances and kept going, and the equaliser was deserved. Thought County paid for being so negative after half time - don't think they had a shot in the second half - and it was poetic that our goal came in injury time after their continual time-wasting.

There was a problem with the formation as both Robinson and Weir tend to want to come inside and there was no genuine width. Given the injuries, this was probably unavoidable, although it might be an idea to start with Bakayogo on the left and Robinson on the right on Saturday. I would agree that the substitutions came at the right time and made a difference.

Above all, it was just great to see the crowd fully behind the manager and players tonight, and a positive atmosphere in the ground. Hopefully we can use tonight as a springboard and get the minimum of four points we need from the next two games.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Brunt is clearly struggling a little for confidence.

And ability, in equal measure. Bring back Tiryak.

Tonight was good fun. Hate Notts County. We were lacking in width and I expect that Holmes delivered more crosses than both of our widemen put together. This was largely unavoidable due to selection as you say - I really don't fancy Zoum as a left winger, but that may well be our best option at the minute.

Given our lack of strikers it would be fun to see Robbo behind one of them. Akins out wide.

Labadie's dive was pretty hilarious, although I felt one of their lads was guilty of the same thing earlier on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The 100 dollar question: "Where do you get a natural goalscorer who's going to come and play for us?

Well, it's good that Ronnie is addressing the striking situation ASAP.

Player
Liam Palmer
Well done Rovers for getting a point. Whole game was utter guff. If Les was manager and we'd played like that crowd would have gone mad. Still, a point's a point. Take it. Move on.

drwhoman

loanees

Ronnie says he is going to talk to Liverpool. If he could get Raheem Sterling to Rovers that would be fantastic. Not flash in front of goal but great ball skills out wide and a real ability to beat a man. He would set up some chances for sure. Goals is what we need right now. Defence is ok.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Performance was an improvement on the last two weeks.

Weir and Akins were absolutely woeful though. I'm pretty sure that if Enoch and Zoom had started in their places we would have picked up 3 points.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Oh and to answer the Labadie did he or didnt he dive.

He dived, it was absolutely ridiculous and had he stayed on his feet (dont know how many times i've said this now) we might have had a decent goal scoring opportunity.

He really needs to stop throwing himself onto the floor or he wont get anywhere.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear, I need to go to spec savers. I thought he was tripped. :oops:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was Brunt really that bad? Only seem him twice and he seems a half-decent prospect, while the match stats suggest he had a couple of efforts on target. Something that Enoch didn't manage in his time on the pitch, although gather he did set up Ryan for a fluffed chance, which Ronnie mentioned in his post-match interview.

Tiryaki apparently had an assist in the goal for Cambridge last night, but hasn't scored yet in two starts. By the time he returns, Brunt is likely to have gone back to Stoke?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Last night was the first time for a long time where the pre match atmosphere was good, the crowd were noisy, and when that goal went in it was brilliant.

In terms of the game, you could see the difference in the strikers and confidence. They had the dangerous Forte and Ben Burgess - both have scored plenty at this level. Glad Lee Hughes wasnt playing though.

Brunt to me is still very raw and not someone we can rely on to keep us up. I have to agree with Ian about Akins - I too was thinking how the hell is he a professional footballer. His touch is abysmal and last night he was shocking. I would have taken him off at half time. Unless we are desperate, and I know we have injuries, I wouldnt have him in the squad again.

Yes at times it wasnt pretty but dare I say results are more important at this stage. The feeling amongst the players in their celebrations said it all at the end when the goal went in and I would expect spirits/morale etc to be a lot higher today than they have been for a long time.

Glad to see that Ronnie recognises we need someone who can score - I still think he could get the best out of Enoch, like he did with Bas Savage.

Bring on the Orient !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Brunt to me is still very raw and not someone we can rely on to keep us up. I have to agree with Ian about Akins - I too was thinking how the hell is he a professional footballer. His touch is abysmal and last night he was shocking. I would have taken him off at half time. Unless we are desperate, and I know we have injuries, I wouldnt have him in the squad again.
Agree about Brunt. He looks OK, but he's just a kid with a handful of professional games. Certainly raw and we really shouldn't be relying on him for anything. He still has lots to learn and needs to be taking more shots but I like his work rate and attitude seems good.

I think Les built him up a bit, maybe in deperation, who knows, but we need reliable, solid players in this position. Something Akins is not.

Perfect opportunity for Showumni to silence the critics, but can he step up his game?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Brunt looked good in the 4-5-1 because he didn't have to do a lot with the ball and people made excuses for him. He scored a goal at PP which helped. He's not a very good footballer though.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Brunt is a decent footballer, he has just had a couple of bad games. It must be difficult for a youngster to play in a team under the pressure we are right now, particularly given that he has the major responsibility for scoring goals.

However, I agree that we need more options up front.

I also thought the performance was better than some people have suggested, certainly an improvement on the previous two. The football may not have been great but at least we showed spirit and and some real attacking intent which got the fans involved. We would not have got a point from that game if it had been played a week ago.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A good ending to what really was a fairly poor game, we did deserve the point but we really lacked any quality and failed to created many chances.

Yes it was a certain dive by joss and was just embarrasing but brunt should have shot instead of laying the ball off. Agree with the comments on Akins he was truly awful. Too many of our players dont anticipate were the ball will be and were often second to the ball.

Rob, if stirling is only 17 i dont think he can go out on loan as he has to be 18.

Player
Backayogo
After all the doom and gloom of recent months/years it was great to have a good atmosphere and an enjoyable battling team to watch. By the way I thought that Ronnies post match comments said more common sense that I have heard in the last months/years.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really enjoyed our late equaliser. Haven't felt that good for ages. Welcome to the forums too :)