• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Leyton Orient 2

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having read that it was about 25 years since Orient won here, then arrived at the ground 20 minutes before ko to find no programme-seller in place, I kinda had the feeling it was going to be one of those days.

Rovers fell behind to an early goal from Dawson. The volley seemed near unstoppable, but the amount of space he was given was bad defending. Rovers were probably the stronger for the remainder of the half, but on the stroke of half-time, Nielsen failed to hold onto a shot and a simple tap-in put the Os 2 up at the break.

Second half Alliyu-Latif replaced Blanchard. Orient started the half stronger, but Wootton got us back in the game finishing a Cresswell free-kick. Despite bombarding their goal, the closest we came thereafter was a Goodi effort hitting the bar.

Player ratings;

Nielsen 3 A Gulasci-style howler for the second goal, but Gunnar made none of the Hungarian's redeeming saves. In fact the only save of note was after his bad kickout straight to an Orient player. Collister wouldn't have done any worse.

Cresswell 6 Some good work on the attacking side of his game with set pieces, but not at his strongest defensively.

Goodison 6 Not at his imperious best, but great saving block after some Nielsen dithering near the end, while he came close to scoring at the other end.

Grandison 5 Bit of a mixed bag. Tended to be too fond of the back-pass, most noteably the overhit one near the end, which Nielsen handled and he didn't link up well with Goodison today.

Wootton 5 Was given a tough afternoon by Orient winger, not helped by a harsh booking for what looked like a perfectly good tackle. I'm not sure if any of our other right-backs would have done much better though and he did get the goal. However he would be better deployed as a central defender.

Blanchard 4 Not his finest 45, gave the ball away far too cheaply with aimless, ill-directed passes.

Welsh 6 Worked fairly hard without making a great deal of impact.

Mantom 5 Looked a bit less lost than on his debut. The attacking side of his game showed promise, needs to work more on defence and distribution.

Jennings 7 Some trademark skill, beating men, one promising short corner routine where perhaps he should have tried to pick someone out rather than going for glory from a difficult angle.

Showumni 6 One of those days for Enoch, two one-on-ones where he should have done better.

ITM 5 Strangely subdued, unsure when he picked up an injury.

Subs;
Elford-Alliyu 7 Looked promising attacking their full-back and not afraid to track back.

Fraughan 5 As was said after the Hartlepool game, he needs to look for the simple ball more rather than aiming for a killer pass every time. One great ball to Dale. Defensively, his reluctance to tackle is a weakness.

McGurk 5 Didn't make much impact during his limited time on.

Referee. I cannot remember so many decisions going against us in a game. In the first half, every time an Orient player fell over, he awarded a foul. Unimpressed.

This was a very bad result, given Orient were without both regular central defenders and a couple of key midfielders. That was compounded by none of the matches elsewhere falling our way. Our next 3 league games are a visit from the 6-goal Owls, sandwiched between trips to Swindle and Brentford, hard to see us picking up anything from these. Lose all three and we are most certainly deep in the brown stuff.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Tend to agree with Boz on most of that. This was a game we could have won. Load so people on the way out moaning about the ref, who did seem a bit rubbish but if we had taken a number of very good chances we would have won it.
As far as players go no-one really stood out, although Welsh did a good job battling away as usual. Thought we really missed Labadie to day as we were very light in midfield - and hopefully his teammates will point out the stupidity of his behaviour in getting that red card. Blanchard wasn't great, but I thought he was unlucky to be subbed at half time when Mantom was totally anonymous for the whole game. We might as well have played with 10. Neilsen was very poor. he has now conceded four goals in 2 games with question marks over him for three of them. I hope that we can get Gulasci back for the second half of the season.
As Boz said, the next few games are not easy so by the new year we could be well back in the poo. Home defeats against Hartlepool and Orient could prove very very costly.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Just lost my entire long post but it basically said terrible.

Main points were:-

1) Nielson is no better than Collister, so why play a loanee?
2) Mantom is ****, theres reserve/youth players who could do the same job, whats the point in playing him when they deserve the chance and what kind of msg does it send out to the bench warmers/reserves/youths that we get in crappy loan players who jump straight into the team
3) hoofball - stop it please, we have players who are capable of making a pass
4) the manager - we cant blame the players every week, they arent the best but the majority are up to the standard of the current league. If they cant manage to string passes together then the coaching/managerial staff need to take responsibility
5) the supporters - some of the ppl in the Borough Road today were a disgrace, criticising Enoch for missing a chance but failing to realise if it wasnt for his goals this season we would be bottom of the league
6) ITM - I dont know if hes already made up his mind that hes going in January/July but I still expect him to put in some effort. I dont care if your Ronnie Moore's son you still need to try and he shouldnt have a god given right to get in the team every single week
7) The woman who sells coffee in the Borough Road, a smile and a thanks doesnt hurt love, especially when its £1.50 for a cup of brown filth

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Prior to this week all talk of the playoffs no?

reality! another league 1 match and defeat aginast poor match at home!
lp
keeping it warm for a proper manager thats the way i see it!

And when that happens i want to see some propers supporters on here with real heart and fighting spirit not the lay down and die sought we are seeing here explaining the finacial reasons why we are ***** every week !

Come on pj moneybags time for change i think !

Give lp his old job back (out of sympathy) make it part time so we can pay for some better player/s !:-({|=

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
7) The woman who sells coffee in the Borough Road, a smile and a thanks doesnt hurt love, especially when its £1.50 for a cup of brown filth

time for a change there as well !!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Couple of thoughts in response to what's been posted since starting this thread.

While I think it was a mistake playing Mantom v Hartlepool, when he'd only just arrived and a reserve regular like Max Power would have a better chance of knowing how the team played, I could understand why Les selected him yesterday. He'll have had a chance to look at him in training and Sam has played in the Icelandic league, which while not top of the pile, is likely to be better than the totesport league west our reserves played in. Yes, he wasn't very good yesterday, but he did put in some tackles and in both games he's had an effort on goal, in fact v Hartlepool it was almost our only effort on goal.

Les can be criticised for team selection, which I'll return to. However it was Nielsen, who failed to hold a weak shot gifting Orient their second goal and it was Enoch who in two one-on-ones with their keeper shot at him, not the manager.

Arguably Wootton in central defence for Grandison and Blanchard at right-back might have been an improvement. If Ash Taylor was fit enough to be on the bench, he should have been capable of playing and occupying a midfield slot.

At least the woman who sells the coffee turned up, which is more than can be said of the home paddock programme seller:roll:

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With regards to the midfield situation, I still believe Mantom is a poorer player than Fraughan. Les does have a tendency to play loanees regardless of the standard of their performances (remember Gordon last season ?), but Mantom was only brought in as back up when Welsh was suspended and should not be in the team now in my view.

The Nielsen situation worries me, as I am not sure he even wants to be here. He has played three times for the Faroes in the period when he was supposedly 'injured', and on the two occasions that he has turned up his performances have been awful. If his heart isn't in it, get Collister in goal.

I think we have suffered badly from the disruption caused by the latest batch of injuries, and the influx of loan players, with the defence, which looked solid a few weeks ago, showing signs of the old uncertainties and communication problems.

As Boz says, we have a really tough run coming up, but having lost at home to two poor sides in succession, we simply have to pull off an unexpected victory or two in the next few games. The only saving grace is the fact that three sides are cut adrift at the bottom at present, although Dagenham did win away from home yesterday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really shot ourselves in the foot on Saturday. Orient much better going forward than they were at the back. Their winger was tricky and caused our defence problems all game. Really, it was a case of 2 chances 2 goals for Orient, and that second just before half time was a killer.

I was disappointed with Rovers play. They hoofed it far too much when a simple pass would have been more effective. Cannot stand the simple hoof and hope for the best policy. We might not be the leagues greatest team but surely we can string a few passes together?!

Neilson was disappointing. Don't think his heart is in it. I don't blame him for the first goal, good shot and poor defending were to blame, but the second was just poor handling. He also showed at times he was completely out of the game not coming out for balls putting the defence in some tricky situations. Would rather see Collister as he certainly puts his all into it.

Mantom was anonymous the whole game, and I don't rate Fraughan either. Jennings seemed a little subdued as well. Had his head down for a lot of the second half and choose the pass instead of taking his marker on.

But ultimately we were guilty of missing some really good chances. Enoch for his 1-on-1 should have done better. Goodison hitting the crossbar, unlucky I suppose and their keeper did make some blinding saves especially a rasping shot from Lateef Elford-Alliyu I think it was or possibly Jennings.

Worryingly, we are getting dragged down again. Really tough run of fixtures this month. Is this going to be the usually Rovers Xmas slump?

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Frustrating would best some up saturday. Potentially we had the chances to win the game however as usual it is individual errors and poor tactics from the first whistle that have ultimately cost us and until these things get sorted out we will continue to lose games against teams we should be beating. I think saturday and the pools game also highlighted how stupid Ladabie was in getting sent off the way he did, we aint picked up a point since without him in the midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting point (no pun intended) about Labadie. That's one area of his game he really needs to improve. He may be our best midfielder, but he's no good to anyone sitting in the stands.

Also, does anyone think Les should have made changes earlier on? It was clear nothing was working in the first half and I don't understand why Les waited till half time to make changes.

Player
Goodison
I think the reason behind loans players going straight in the first team is the club often agree to deals that state if the player plays, the parent club pays his wages. This is why Wooton and Grandison was played when it would have been sensible to play Zoom, Creswell or Blanchard at right back with one of Wooton/Grandison at centre back.

I'm not sure why Max Power/Fraughan isn't playing rather than bringing in Mantom on loan - perhaps it's something to do with stamina? I've not seen Mantom play but I do know Les likes hard working players over technical players.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
With regards to the midfield situation, I still believe Mantom is a poorer player than Fraughan. Les does have a tendency to play loanees regardless of the standard of their performances (remember Gordon last season ?), but Mantom was only brought in as back up when Welsh was suspended and should not be in the team now in my view.

The Nielsen situation worries me, as I am not sure he even wants to be here. He has played three times for the Faroes in the period when he was supposedly 'injured', and on the two occasions that he has turned up his performances have been awful. If his heart isn't in it, get Collister in goal.

I think we have suffered badly from the disruption caused by the latest batch of injuries, and the influx of loan players, with the defence, which looked solid a few weeks ago, showing signs of the old uncertainties and communication problems.

As Boz says, we have a really tough run coming up, but having lost at home to two poor sides in succession, we simply have to pull off an unexpected victory or two in the next few games. The only saving grace is the fact that three sides are cut adrift at the bottom at present, although Dagenham did win away from home yesterday.

Yep.

Well, I agree with most of that apart from the bit about putting Collister in goal.

I think the reason behind loans players going straight in the first team is the club often agree to deals that state if the player plays, the parent club pays his wages.

Yep.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Well, I agree with most of that apart from the bit about putting Collister in goal.

Why not?

By all accounts Nielsen can take some of the blame for Udders first goal. He doesn't convince. By contrast, Joe made a L1 team of the week for his performances earlier in the season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Why not?

By all accounts Nielsen can take some of the blame for Udders first goal. He doesn't convince. By contrast, Joe made a L1 team of the week for his performances earlier in the season.

Collister is awful. I'd rather give Nielsen a chance. He wouldn't still be on City's books if he was completely inept.

Player
Goodison
Collister isn't awful, he's done ok in the games he's played. Nielsen is just another of these players who has been collected by the bigger clubs but isn't actually any good. I'd rather we played our keeper than a random loanee who isn't actually any better than him.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
he's garbage. and he's about 12 years old and 4 foot high.

anyway, assumption is that we'll have either play or pay nielsen, so don't expect him to be dropped too soon. gulasci to return in jan.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
he's garbage. and he's about 12 years old and 4 foot high.

I wouldn't say he's garbage. Certainly no worse than Neilson from what I've seen, ableit only a few games. I would say he's still a little bit too young. I don't think he's ready for first team games yet.

anyway, assumption is that we'll have either play or pay nielsen, so don't expect him to be dropped too soon. gulasci to return in jan.
Our prayers have been answered. Can't we just sign him on a 2-year deal. He's only going to rot in the reserves for years to come at LFC.