• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1-3 Swans

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
God damn, that was annoying. Rovers really shot themselves in the foot last night. They played a really good 1st half. Swansea probably pinched it in terms of possession, but Rovers did well to close them down, restricting them to just a few half chances.

'The Show' scored a great goal and everyone was fairly happy at half time.

Then came the second half. Stupidly, we sat back on a 1-0 lead, invited Swansea onto us and got punished. Two goals in a minute, that was us done. :roll:

Scoreline was harsh on the lads, but they need to take some lessons from that second half, which completely wiped out all the hard work from the first 45.

Ahh well, there's still the FA Cup and Jonhstone's Paint Trophy! #-o

O

OneNightInGayParis

I thought it was an incredibly disciplined performance last night where the boys kept their shape well during the long spells of Swansea possession. Despite this possession (it was 61% / 39% at half time, I believe) we created as many chances and probably looked more incisive than our visitors when we counter attacked. Nevertheless we did capitulate after Swansea strengthened via some substitutions and Scott Sinclair made a difference - mind you at £500k + from Chelsea you would expect him to!

The defensive unit looked more assured than Saturday. There were 2 major contributory differences; Blanchard replacing Wood, and a tireless shift put in by the 3 midfielders. We did sit very deep at times with 8 behind the ball but it did succeed in keeping the Swans out for an hour and a quarter.

The forwards didn't get that much ball, with the majority going to Enoch who had a decent enough game. I still think he could be Bas in disguise but he is going to take some getting used to - one minute he'll fluff a header that should be simple for a massive bloke, yet the next he'll turn a defender with dainty footwork that shouldn't be possible! Gornell worked hard to little avail and Moore was fairly invisible.

Interesting to see that Welsh was skipper last night and, it must be said, he stepped up to the plate putting his body on the line on numerous occasions - as did Labadie and, yes, McLaren. It looks like this could be a good choice.

So, ITM was subbed on Saturday and now, it appears, "stripped" of the captaincy. From the outside it looks like things are only going one way. However, I hope that clear the air talks take place asap (if they haven't already) and that we have a committed Moore for the remainder of the season. He is not the be all and end all, but he can be a class act at this level and knows where the net is.

Disappointed with the attendance of 2,450. If our punters won't turn out to watch us against a decent Championship side it doesn't look good. On the subject I must say that the 7pm kick off against Accy next Tuesday is barmy. I understand the club are expecting a poor gate but does this not help to make it a self fulfilling prophecy?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The defensive unit looked more assured than Saturday. There were 2 major contributory differences; Blanchard replacing Wood
This made a big difference and actually thought Blanchard played fairly well alongside Goodison. Cresswell was decent on the left and possibly Darville the weakest of the four.

The work rate was also much better than Saturday. It was nice to see them chasing balls most of the time and giving Swansea little space to play.

O

OneNightInGayParis

This made a big difference and actually thought Blanchard played fairly well alongside Goodison. Cresswell was decent on the left and possibly Darville the weakest of the four.

Where Blanchard scores over Wood is his positional sense, however, he does seem on the small side for a centre back. Anybody any idea how tall he is? Cresswell provided a good attacking threat and it is a damn shame we have both him and Zoum fighting for the same position - if only one of them was a right back!

I thought Darville did better than on Saturday (not difficult I must say) but he does seem to get drawn out of position quite frequently. If Broomes shows the form he finished last season with he should be a shoe-in at either right back or centre half.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Where Blanchard scores over Wood is his positional sense, however, he does seem on the small side for a centre back. Anybody any idea how tall he is?

I'd guess at about 5'11" - about the same height as Broomes. I was impressed with Blanchard pre-season and I'm pleased we've given him a contract. I couldn't make it last night but it sounds like he continues to look like a promising addition to the squad, better than Wood at least.

A home defeat to Swansea is nothing to be ashamed of, but conceding 3 second half goals after taking the lead is a little disheartening.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They just choose the wrong thing to do in the second half. Had they continued to push and press them, the scoreline may have been different. Why sit back on a 1-0 lead when there is 45 mins to go? You are just asking for trouble.. All the good work in the first half completely pointless at the final whistle. Very frustrating for all involved. Swansea certainly weren't as good as I thought they'd be last night.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most that has been said above. A very harsh scoreline last night, as we worked tirelessly and defended superbly, other than in Swansea's 60 second purple patch.

Blanchard is much steadier than Wood, who will hopefully be given a spell learning his trade in the stiffs. The midfield trio were excellent and when called upon at the start of the second half, Collister made an absolutely world class one-handed save.

I agree with ONIGP that the attendance was very alarming; roughly 2,200 home fans turning out for what was on paper quite an attractive tie, and that coming after a sub-5,000 gate on Saturday.

Oh well, if we play like we did last night against bottom-half League One sides, survival is well within our grasp.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Why sit back on a 1-0 lead when there is 45 mins to go? You are just asking for trouble.

To be fair, I am not sure we sat back so much as got pushed back by Swansea's superiority in possession. Although they didn't create much, you could see the clear gulf between the sides when they knocked it around in midfield. We did well to contain them for as long as we did.

But yes, I agree we actually looked more dangerous for the majority of the game, and the manner of the defeat was hard to take.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would agree that we were forced onto the backfoot by swansea more in the second half rather than sitting back, they looked a really good passing side always building from the back hardly remember the keeper kicking long usually rolled it to a defender.

A few plus points enoch had a decent game but tired in the last half hour and really should have buried a header at 1 0, the midfield worked hard even mclaren and blanchard had a decent game.

We really need a win on saturday even at this early stage with the next two home games being very hard.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What impression, if any, did Akins and McGurk make when they came on?
Have to say that thought Fraughan might have replaced McLaren, given he was one of our better players in the Bournemouth game.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Akins and McGurk hardly saw the ball to do anything with it Boz. Too little too late by then. I am bemused by the fact we have about 6 or 7 strikers and none of whom I'd say fit into this 4-3-3 formation we play. We don't have a natural wide player at the club, any of those strikers will be out of position horribly on the wing in that formation, like Gornell.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They didnt really do much as by then swansea were well on top and they wernt on for very long so hard to judge.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be honest we could have a 100 strikers and none of them would get 10 goals because we have nothing going forward in midfield.
Very true. Service is poor to the front men. The only forward who gets a fair share of the ball is Showumni as the only tactic we have is to lump it onto his head.