• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1-1 Yeovil

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well that was a bloody awful performance from the whites but that point still means we have to go to Scunthorpe and get a win presuming Scunny win on Tues.

If they lose, a draw would be good enough, but is anyone confident after todays performance? What a mess.

Yeovil were the better team and wanted it more. They passed it around well and we were lucky not to be behind in the first half. I couldnt believe we equalised as the closest we got to a shot on goal was Kay's free kick.

We missed Goodison (goes without saying) and Bas today. In fact, we missed Bas more than I ever thought we would. We were lightweight up front, our midfield apart from Jennings was non-existent and our defence shaky at times.

And yet again, our two wingers pointless today.

I'm glad we are still in with a shout, but the 8000+ that witnessed that today wont be returning anytime soon if thats whats dished up.

They need to play 100 times better next Saturday unless they want to chuck the whole season away. Anything can happen of course but I'm not confident. I just hope Bas is back at least..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We missed Goodison (goes without saying) and Bas today. In fact, we missed Bas more than I ever thought we would. We were lightweight up front, our midfield apart from Jennings was non-existent and our defence shaky at times.

Completely agree. I didn't appreciate how much we need Bas until I watched us without him today. I don't think I've noticed how many pointless long balls we hoof up to him, in the expectancy that he'll do something with it. When we went about our usual business today without him, Curran and Moore could do nothing with this service. The passing from back to front today was dire. I still think we lack creativity in central midfield, though having both Kay and Jenno in there is probably a large factor in our strong defensive record. Meh. Kay popped up with his typical match saving goal again though, fantastic.

We were woeful today and Yeovil were very impressive. Their movement going forward was great, particulaly from the left winger (who was curiously brought off shortly after the second half) and Alcock looked a cracking little right back, ensured Charlie was virtually anonymous all game.

I don't think Bas will be out for 6 months, he drove home after the Leeds game. If not, I'd go with Gornell and Curran up front, with Moore wide right instead of Eddy. That's a nice, attacking formation with a well-balanced frontline. Curran and Moore are too similar to play together, I think we need a target man given our tendency to hoof it when things aren't going well. Gornell played this role to good effect today. He's so strong, with a good touch. Lays it off and keeps things moving.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I'd certainly have taken a chance of the play-offs with one game to play, Rovers have lost momentum in the last 3 games. I'd agree with Gornell as a target man, though Bas doesn't stay in the box often enough to fulfill that role. Also maybe time to recall Cresswell, the current slump coincides with Taylor's return.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The current slump coincides with Goodison leaving the field. Before that time, we had kept four clean sheets. Since then we have conceded 4 goals in two games! We are useless without him. I hope the news about Bas isn't true. I really do..

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Front to back our players looked a bag of nerves. I'd gone into the game quietly confident, thinking that our lads would relish even the chance of the play-offs, the chance to play on the big stage at wembley and so would just want it more than Yeovil. Judging by the bumper gate and the noise our fans made as the game got started, expectancy was high all around.

But it seems whenever the club runs events to bring in more stay away fans, or when we get put on the telly for a bigger audience, these are the times when Tranmere turn in dire performances. What Ian said about those who turned up not coming back anytime soon echos what most people have said about the game.

First half only Shotts and Coyne turned up. Just as well they did or we could easily have gone in two down at half time. We couldn't make a single five yard pass to save our lives. Yeovil had all the possession and ran rings around us.

Second half a few more of our lads got into the game, but if we had been beaten I think it would have been a fair result.

I think the biggest problem was that our midfield for the most part did not show up. Kay did one good thing all game, which was to score having been a ghost the rest of the match. Jennings made an absolutely superb track back and clear in the dying stages, but that was pretty much his only contribution to the game. Barnett anonymous. Sonko had me questioning how anyone could mistake him for a footballer, gave it away every touch of the ball he had.

Andy Taylor, who has for most of the season been very consistent has looked dreadful the last few games and this time was even worse. He's the biggest disappointment for me as I was becoming a bit of a fan of our left back.

Bright lights there weren't any, but little flickering glimmers from Coyne who pulled off a couple of good saves, and from Curran. Although Curran clearly wasn't fully match fit, he showed a few bursts of pace, the little bit of fire in his belly that won him his early breaks into the first team. Edds, Chorley and Moore were all okay, but what they did do was never going to be enough to make up for the dreadful showing from the rest.

Player
Goodison
I agree that the problem yesterday was the midfied or lack of as it turned out. The defence was completely exposed and the forwards starved of any service - our goal was always going to come from a set piece.

Apart from his goal, Kay was abysmal, I only remember him making one pass succesfully to Moore and he was consistently missing headers or not getting challenges in. Jennings didn't look fit and had a dire game, Barnett was shocking and contributed nothing - he looks very tired and was huffing and puffing from the first minute. As for Sonko, well he's endanger of beating Godwin Antwi to the worst player of the season award!

The defence cleary misses Goodison and if it wasn't for Shotton, who made countless last ditch challenges and was my man of the match, we would have lost yesterday. Coyne also made several good saves, particulary the one with his feet in the second half. Chorley was ok but was still disappointing for me, as he's had an excellent season but he doesn't seem to be able to replicate his performances without Goodison by his side. I feel he needs to take more responsibilty when Goodison is absent as he is the most senior defender in the back 4.

Edds was also disappointing , particulary given the fact he has produced several solid performances at right back which culminated in a video of a tackle been posted here! He seemed to give up trying to tackle their winger with about ten minutes to go. I agree with NBDH that Taylor has been the most disappointing player this season, he seems to have taken zero steps forward and five steps back, I would play Creswell ahead of him although that leaves Sonko on the pitch](*,)

Man of the match for me was Shotton, Coyne also had a good game and Curran had a few bright moments. Gornell also showed some nice deft touches when he came on but like the rest of the frontline was getting very little service.

Hopefully we've had our bad performance now and we can come out all guns blazing against Scunthorpe. I would be tempted to play Gornell ahead of Curran as he is a better target man and Curran despite a few bright moments clearly isn't match fit. I would also drop Sonko and instead play Creswell on the left wing with Barnett down the right.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The current slump coincides with Goodison leaving the field. Before that time, we had kept four clean sheets. Since then we have conceded 4 goals in two games! We are useless without him. I hope the news about Bas isn't true. I really do..

I disagree with Ian about Goodison. While his ability to organise a back-line is unrivalled at Rovers, he turned in 1.5 dire performances against Bristol Rovers and the time he stayed on the pitch v Hereford. What's to say he wouldn't be equally inept if available in the last 3 games?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the stats speak for themselves. We keep four clean sheets with him putting in 1.5 dire performances. Then we concede four goals in two games. The defence are all over the show when he's not playing and Shotton is not a centre back.

Player
Goodison
Of 15 league games played without Goodison we've won 1. Yes he has had some bad performances but his influence ensures the team still plays well and generally gets the right result.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I agree that the problem yesterday was the midfied or lack of as it turned out. The defence was completely exposed and the forwards starved of any service - our goal was always going to come from a set piece.

Apart from his goal, Kay was abysmal, I only remember him making one pass succesfully to Moore and he was consistently missing headers or not getting challenges in. Jennings didn't look fit and had a dire game, Barnett was shocking and contributed nothing - he looks very tired and was huffing and puffing from the first minute. As for Sonko, well he's endanger of beating Godwin Antwi to the worst player of the season award!

The defence cleary misses Goodison and if it wasn't for Shotton, who made countless last ditch challenges and was my man of the match, we would have lost yesterday. Coyne also made several good saves, particulary the one with his feet in the second half. Chorley was ok but was still disappointing for me, as he's had an excellent season but he doesn't seem to be able to replicate his performances without Goodison by his side. I feel he needs to take more responsibilty when Goodison is absent as he is the most senior defender in the back 4.

Edds was also disappointing , particulary given the fact he has produced several solid performances at right back which culminated in a video of a tackle been posted here! He seemed to give up trying to tackle their winger with about ten minutes to go. I agree with NBDH that Taylor has been the most disappointing player this season, he seems to have taken zero steps forward and five steps back, I would play Creswell ahead of him although that leaves Sonko on the pitch](*,)

Man of the match for me was Shotton, Coyne also had a good game and Curran had a few bright moments. Gornell also showed some nice deft touches when he came on but like the rest of the frontline was getting very little service.

Hopefully we've had our bad performance now and we can come out all guns blazing against Scunthorpe. I would be tempted to play Gornell ahead of Curran as he is a better target man and Curran despite a few bright moments clearly isn't match fit. I would also drop Sonko and instead play Creswell on the left wing with Barnett down the right.

Just wanted to say, agree 100% with everything you said, especially about Taylor's season and the possibility of playing Cresswell/Barnett out wide vs Scunny and dropping Sonko. Hopefully Jenno will recover fully in time for next week, he has had breathing problems, viral I think. I won't mind Kay having another awful game if he scores the winner on Saturday, too.

Player
Liam Palmer
Yeah Jennings has trapped acid apparently.

I did that once, man I started seeing purple mushrooms flying above Prenton Park. I even saw Rovers winning at Scunthorpe and getting to the play-offs.

Oh sorry, you said trapped acid.

Player
Liam Palmer
And another thing... I don't care what Rovers play like at the moment. Hope they get battered for 89 minutes at Scunny and then Gareth Edds will pop up and score the winner for us.

Hmmm, think I need some more of Jenno's trapped acid....

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I'll have some of what Tartantranmere is on please!

We were dreadful yesterday, no question about it. They were nervous and didn't want to lose but played with such trepidation that it was far more likely we would lose than win that game. Play like that next weekend and we'll get battered, but hopefully they'll realise the importance and we'll know what we have to do. I'm not very confident but off to Scunny in hope rather than expectation.

Despite being in sixth and having a relatively good season thus far, we have some of the worst players I've seen at the club for a long time. Edds and Sonko are simply atrocious imo, and although I'm not Shuker's biggest fan, oh we need him back fit if Sonko is to keep playing in his place. Why on earth is he a "fan's favourite"??? Answers on a postcard...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ps. saw Bas Savage in the club car park yesterday and had a quick word with him. He's on crutches and doesn't expect to be able to be involved for the rest of the season (ie. if we made the play offs). He's a big loss as we don't really have anyone else of that type to replace him. Gornell and Curran would be a young strike force. Curran and Moore didn't link together at all yesterday. Maybe Greenacre could be fit to return for Saturday but I doubt it. Doesn't look all that promising, add to that the lack of THE defence in Goodison and well... It's gonna be tense on Saturday, just hope we can do it! =D>

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh, thats terrible news regarding Bas. Hope he makes a quick recovery though. So basically, we'll be putting out the same team as we did on Saturday.

I think our best chance would be if Scunthorpe lose on Tues night and then we'll only need a draw :)

Roll on Saturday, I'm going to be a bag of nerves..

Player
Liam Palmer
Scunny are going to be a bag of nerves too. Calm down, calm down! We'll do it.