• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0-1 MK

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It must be said that this is a poor result.

Generally we played pretty well - very well in spells - but failed capitalise on our dominance with a goal. For most of the game we were the better side, certainly in posession, but Dons looked solid at the back and remained a threat going forward with the pace of Easter, who had a few chances to score and was denied only by the bar after a great effort from 20 yards or so. Similaly, Moore was unfortunate to hit both bar and post with two otherwise goalbound efforts, and Gornell added to the list of rued oppertunities with an effort cleared off the line towards the end. It was a good match between two decent teams although I felt the result was unfair on us.

In terms of individual performences, Welsh and Goodison stood out for me as having had particulaly good games. Mahon looked better down the left hand side whilst loanees Daniels and Logan continue to impress. Mclaren and Shuker flirted somewhat wildly between brilliance and stupidity. Curran, Cresswell, Gunning and Thomas-Moore all did ok.

Barnes seems to be making a regular thing of substituting Edds in place of Mahon towards the end of games - this is not a decision I can see any logic in, and I feel we suffered as a result of it tonight. Barnett and Fraughan would seem more suitable replacements, but IMO there was no need to take Mahon off in the first place. Goodison didn't look like he wanted to go off at all, so I found it odd that he was substituted. Would also note that I was quite pleasently surprised to see Gornell brought on for captain Thomas-Moore instead whilst young Curran remained on the pitch - thought it sent out a nice signal that senior players should expect no preferential treatment.

If we play like we did tonight on a regular basis, and continue to improve at the rate we have been, then we should be able to beat most teams at home this season...and if we can improve out away form we should be onto a winner. Lots of if's and should's, and tbh 3 points from 3 games isn't acceptable...especially when this could quite easily become 3 from 5...but it's difficult to criticise tonights performance too much. Anyone who boo'd us off the pitch should be ashamed.

Edit: Would also like to add that the atmosphere at PP was really good tonight. Quite a rarity...would also agree with Barnes that first half was a lot better than second...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Would say for the first 15 minutes of both halves we played well and created chances but after that the passing was very poor, passes going astray all over the place.
Both team had a number of chances and a draw would have been a fair result.

This was a poor result as they were without a number of first choice players and lost another to injury in the first half.

I fear this is the start of a run of poor results with 3 very tough games coming up in leeds bolton and charlton up next.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Disappointing game. Thought we played well in short spells but they were very short, start of second half and for bits of the first, but otherwise we were poor. Passes going astray, final ball (especially Shuker) was awful quite often and when we got into good positions we didn't create cos of the final pass.

That's 3 points from 3 winnable games. My worry is that it gets a lot tougher from here, Leeds away Charlton at home and Carlisle away the next 3 league fixtures. In between that, what is going to be a hard fought game with Notlob, and the fact we looked a bit tired and lethargic last night doesn't bode well. Nor do the injuries. Moore and Goodi went off hurt, Gunning and Cresswell ended hobbling and limping, and with ou wafer thin squad I can't see us getting anything at Leeds.

Gonna be a tough few weeks for Barnes, hope we can pull something off but...

M

Mal

I did forecast first 10 games as win 2, draw 3, lose 5 - I don't think I will be far off. However, I think that when you look at the stats of games, we seem to be having more shots at goal and less players getting yellow cards - in fact, less fouling all round - than we have for years. That can only be positive and imo we won't see fruits of the labour until well into mid-season. Being realistic, rebuilding the team takes time, and the defence still needs bolstering.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A disappointing and frustrating night really.
Both teams had great chances to win the game and both teams were unlucky hitting the crossbar etc..

You can understand why MK Dons drew their first two games 0-0. Good team play, but finishing was poor. And if it wasn't for the excellent Goodison in the first half making some superb tackles, it could have been a lot worse come half time.

I don't think we played well enough. We had periods in the first and second half were we dominated and laid siege to their goal, but to no effect. Thomas-Moore was particularly unlucky in front of goal.

However there were some players who didn't do enough. McLaren was average again, Shuker rubbish, Mahon worringly ineffective (think he'd be best in the middle) and Curran for all his effort was largely ineffective.

We gave MK Dons for too much time on the ball in the second half and we got punished.

Still, it was a decent game with good chances from both sides but I do think Dons edged it in the end.

I hope Goodison is fit for Leeds otherwise we'll have big problems. I can't say enough times how crucial he is for us. Our most important player by a mile..

I'm off to Leeds on Saturday, it's still early days though, so let's hope we can put in a good performance and the result will look after itself. [-o<

Player
Achto
Right here goes,

I reckon we lost that game due to a poor squad...... poss managers fault, poss chairmans fault.

When we lost Goodison, Gunning was allready hurting due to sore feet....
He was constantly limping and trying to let the bench know.

So when goody went off we where left with a crocked centre back and a young in-experianced lad (who did very well).

Once Taylor came on, MK brought on the big old-skool centre forward to boss him around and mix it up.

The goal was always going to come after that.

Simples :roll:

When there centre back went off (no.23)we should have mullered them,coz he was excellent and there best defender by a long way.
There keeper was chuffing sh+ite too.

Very disapointing as with a steady - fit pair of centre backs, I think we would have got at least a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gunning and Goodison were both struggling. Goodison pulled a muscle when he stretched to block another shot just before half time and I think he struggled from that point. Gunning didn't seem comfortable at all. Think those blisters got worse as the game went on. Can we not just get a decent centre back from somewhere?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can we not just get a decent centre back from somewhere?

My view exactly. The other thing is that while we've only a small squad, I would like to see more use made of it rather than consistently picking the same team. Personally would like to see a home team with a more creative player in the centre of the park with the McLaren/Welsh combo reserved for away matches. Can't see us getting anything from Leeds, but more hopeful thereafter.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Surprised by the amount of negativity following tonights game. I'm usually one of the more critical ones, but I thought we played ok last night - well, it was an entertaining game anyway, especially first half. We kept the ball well for periods of the game and created some decent oppertunities. Whilst far from being anywhere close to perfect, I am at least encouraged by the progress made, from pre-season, to Yeovil, to last night...MK Dons are a good side...

Personally would like to see a home team with a more creative player in the centre of the park with the McLaren/Welsh combo reserved for away matches. Can't see us getting anything from Leeds, but more hopeful thereafter.
This is so true. Get Mahon in the middle, Barnett on the left! Barnes stubbornly has his system though, so it'll never happen. If Welsh or Mclaren are to be rotated, expect Edds to fill in.

Also agree with Mal's observation that we're giving away less fouls and picking up less bookings - thought this myself last night. Not quite sure why this would be the case - I guess 4 games is a small sample size - but it has been noticable IMO.

DIW

Player
Goodison
The result was poor but needs putting in perspective. We didn't play too badly, and should have made more of the chances.
Unfortunately as soon as Goodison went off we were in trouble. He'd been holding the defence together and when he went off the back 4 and keeper were very very young and inexperienced. It was no surprise that Ince immediately brought someone on up front.
With regard to the actual goal, that was a lesson in not giving the ball away cheaply in midfield and gornell needs to consider chasing back for it next time he does that instead of just standing there.

At the moment we have a young side with some potential but too mnay kids is always going to cause difficulties. On Tuesday, our three most experienced players came off - that was when we needed some leadership. More loan signings are needed but some older heads would be better at this point.

Still, they are trying to play some football at the moment.