• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Referee 3-1 Exeter

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Or so it was alleged by Exeter fans. Actually thought he had a pretty good game and generally tried to let things run. Thought their lads second yellow was a tad harsh but he had been fouling persistantly and it was a pretty stupid challenge to make after he'd already been booked.

Good win anyway. Labadie made a difference in the middle, defence did very well, Goodi and Zoooooum inparticular. Even Mclaren looked quite good, as we were given a fair bit of time on the ball in midfield, especially after they went 1 down; give our Paul any less than 10 seconds to receive the ball, flick his hair and pick out a sideways pass and he tends to get himself into a bit of a bother, so we must be thankful to the Exeter lads for not putting him under too much pressure. Assume he's carrying a knock since he came off quite early for Eddsy (who finished well with his left after good work by...someone). Curran had a strange game - scored the all important first goal, put in a really good shift down the right hand side (especially considering he's carrying a groin injury) but christ almighty he missed some easy chances too...nevermind.

Savage cannot last 90 minutes. Wondering how long it will take Les to notice. Also our new keeper can't kick a ball to save his ****ing life.

Results didn't go our way at all, so I remain sceptical about our chances.

MOTM: na na na, Zoumana Bakayogo...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A really strong team performance. Agree that Bakayogo was man of the match, but I think Taylor moving into the back four was key today. He gives us the pace and mobility we lack back there and hopefully he will stay there until the end of the season. Labadie is a Rovers midfielder who can actually control a ball, pass and dribble, something of a rarity in this squad, and he should also play every game from now on.

Curran is just a total enigma. He has so many good elements to his game and deserved his goal today, but the two sitters he missed were just unbelievable: I could have scored the second one.

It is crazy season in terms of results now, with Gillingham beating Leeds, Wycombe winning at MK etc., but ultimately I don't think this matters. Fifty, or in our case fifty one, points will be needed to stay up regardless, which means we have to win two and draw one of the last four: difficult, but not impossible.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I was looking at fixtures earlier and I really think we can move out of the drop zone at Exeters expense...

That said I think I'd rather go down than see Parry get the job full time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well it was certainly a much better performance from the lads. Exeter were disappointing. It appeared they were coming for a draw early on as they played fairly cautiously. Their game plan went out the window when they had a player sent off, but at least it made for a more entertaining second half.

Agree with RLC. Taylor at the back makes a big difference. He's much better in this position than in midfield and hope he keeps that position for the rest of the season, even Broomes looked comfortable today, although was very rarely tested.

Good defensive display but to be fair, the lads weren't under a great deal of pressure. Ladabie makes a difference in midfield for the reasons stated above and should definitely start and although Baz may have tired towards the end, I thought he put in one of his best performances since returning from injury.

Really, the lads should have scored more. The stats say we had 21 shots, which sounds about right. The number of chances we had today was astonishing, but not as much as the finishing. Craig Curran, come on, should have had a hat-trick today.

I thought we played more defensively when Bain came on for Savage and was worried we were playing for too deep which is when they scored, but then good work from Bain and Edds on the counter finished off the game.

Glad that one is out the way and we have maximum points. My worry is now for the away games which are looming, but will save that for another thread.

Well played lads [-o<

Player
Manager
John King
although Baz may have tired towards the end, I thought he put in one of his best performances since returning from injury.

Agree about Savage. Looked like the player we had last season in the first half today.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Are you actually a fan of this club??

????

Are you a fan of me? Stop stalking all my posts, Jesus Christ...

I thought Savage played better first half at Walsall than first half today. It winds me up when our fans start criticising him though and calling him lazy.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I thought Savage played better first half at Walsall than first half today. It winds me up when our fans start criticising him though and calling him lazy.

Ditto. He's doing ok but yeah he did tire second half.

Defence wasn't tested at all, so to say they did well is all well and good but Exeter looked a poor side. Wycombe hardly were a good side and tore a similar back four to shreds.

Nice to see us create so many chances for a change. To miss most of them was so very frustrating. Curran missed a sitter, good block by their lad for the second one but he could have placed it the other side really. Would have been nice to see Bas get himself a goal for his hard efforts, unlucky with the header at the start of the second half which was just a bit too high for him to control it properly.

As always we make it difficult for ourselves by giving them a goal, hence my precaution on praising the back four. Tested once, failed miserably. It should have been far more comfortable. But 3 points is what counts.

Can I also make a point of praising Kithson Bain. When he came on he was mocked by a couple of lads sat to the side of me. He's not the greatest player, even he probably knows that, but he worked really hard, showed his strength and did superbly for the third goal, so credit where it is due.

Well done Rovers, now we really need to do something we haven't done all season....

Player
Manager
John King
Defence wasn't tested at all, so to say they did well is all well and good but Exeter looked a poor side.

Agree that Exeter were poor, but if you look at the run of matches earlier in the year when Taylor played centre back we kept a number of clean sheets. I just think that with Goodison and McCready (even when fit) in there we seriously lack pace. Add that to Taylor's strength in the air and I think we should keep him in there for the remainder of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was looking at fixtures earlier and I really think we can move out of the drop zone at Exeters expense...

That said I think I'd rather go down than see Parry get the job full time.

Exeter have a trip to Hartlepool sandwiched between homes against Charlton and Huddersfield. Charlton have a slim hope of the automatics but their form is rubbish, Hartlepool are almost safe and Huddersfield may need something to get into the play-offs. Can see them getting 5 points, which would probably put them out of our reach.

I'd rather stay up and then worry about who our manager will be next season:-k

We played the side today that we should have played when McCready was injured v Wycombe, if we'd done that maybe could have got something out of that game, which would have made our survival hopes that much greater. It sounds like we could have been more comfortable winners today.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
no reason you can't multitask and do both

i just can't imagine having to watch this hideous 4-3-3 for another year while good players sit on the bench

Player
Goodison
I think Les has enough self respect and sense to (hopefully) not take the job next season.

As for the match itself why one earth did they not play with even half that level of tenacity and commitment on Tuesday?!?!?! Staying up still looks an uphill task but we have still got a fighting chance, other results today couldn't have been any worse really.

Our new goalkeeper has obviously been taught how to kick by Achterberg #-obut he was solid and fairly assured. The team played well and could have scored 5/6 had Curran not missed a truck load of sitters! Our defence looks much better with Taylor and Goodison at the back as they compliment each other whilst it came as no surprise to me that the midfield vastly improved once McLaren came off for Edds, he probably forgot to gel his hair at half time!

Man of the Match for me was Bakayogo who had an excellent game and set up Curran's goal, Labadie was also impressive in midfield.

Ratings:
Gulaci: 6
Broomes: 7
Taylor: 7
Goodison: 7
Bakayogo: 9
McLaren: 6
Welsh: 8
Labadie: 8
Savage: 6
Curran: 7
Thomas-Moore: 7

Bain: 6
Edds: 8

Let's not get too carried away though we were playing against 10 men for most of the game after their lad got himself stupidly sent off.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with most comments - thought we did well without playing spectacular but did enough.

My MOM was Zoom just beating Welsh who I thought did well. Ash in the defence should stay there if Labadia can play in the middle. Savage improves fitness wise game by game but the way we play means he doesnt get many chances, especially as he drifts out wide so much.

I was surprised about the keepers kicks - I mean, I know he is probably a youngster and maybe a tad nervous but he plays for Liverpool! He obviously wasnt able to try that kick out to Curran on the touchline but hopefully they'll work on him this week (does anyone know whats up with Daniels?)

Couldnt believe the other results but at least we stopped the rot a bit. Roll on Tuesday !

O

OneNightInGayParis

Really enjoyed the game on Saturday and glad I travelled down at the last minute. My MOM was Labadie, who made a massive difference to the dynamics in the midfield, with Zoom a close second with some bombing runs down the flank (not evident at all against Wycombe). Having said that, nobody had a bad game, although we would have had at least 6 if it wasn't for some woeful finishing.

I was impressed that we kept the work rate up after they had Dunne sent off and then after the opening goal - how many times have we seen the 10 men fight back against 11? Personally, I think 6 points may be enough to keep us up but am struggling to see where they are coming from! We are going to have to rely on a last day win, but still need to win either another away game or home to Millwall.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
How was the referee on Saturday?? He's a friend of mine in his first season in the football league....have heard good reports about him

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I thought he did well, a lot better than most refs at this level. Their fans were moaning a bit, mostly because the sending off was perhaps a bit harsh - but it was a stupid tackle, so...

He also gave out yellows for cynical fouls/timewasting which is something I think the FA need to step up.

O

OneNightInGayParis

I thought he did well, especially under some severe barracking from the Cowsheds! It was certainly one of those increasingly rare games where the decisions tended to fall for us. He didn't take any nonsense from the players and stuck to his guns. 9/10.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good ref IMO. Not controversial, had the game under control, made good decisions. I have a referee hater sit behind me, and he was quiet. Says it all really.