• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pools 0 Rovers 2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another great result, and it was good to see us finally get what we deserved away from home.

The second half sounded terrific, but credit must be given to the defence again for restricting Hartlepool to what sounded like only one decent effort on goal when we were under the cosh in the first half (saved by Fonners, of course).

When was the last time we were actually in the play-off places ? Ronnie's last season, or was it as far back as 2007-8 ?

Great that Robinson is back. Yet another clean sheet. Wow.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hartlepool 0-2 Rovers

What a fantastic result! =D>
That not only breaks our ridiculously poor record at Victoria Park but also rockets us into 6th place in the league.

There were lots of positives to take from the game not only getting the three points which gives Rovers their third successive league victory, but we kept yet another clean sheet such is the quality at the back for Rovers. Fon Williams made a few good saves and continues his excellent form.

Midfield were impressive again with Baxter, Weir and Welsh all working hard. Akins gets better and better with 2 goals tonight and McGurk was heavily involved and really should have made it 3-0 with only minutes left having been put through by substitute Andy Robinson (nice to see Robbo back).

Turkayi although goalless worked tirelessly throughout and really caused a headache for Hartlepool's back two.

Tranmere had more possession, more shots on goal and throughly deserve the victory. Well done lads, keep it up, it's been a superb month. =D>

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When was the last time we were actually in the play-off places ? Ronnie's last season, or was it as far back as 2007-8 ?
We were last in the play-offs a few minutes from time in Ronnie's last game. Ironically, we return to Scunthorpe for the first time since on Saturday! Four wins on the bounce and six games undefeated in October, it should be a cracker.

drwhoman

HARTLEPOOLS

Go you good things! Scunthorpe will be interesting - another ground where we do not have a great record. I see Chris Dagnall missed a pen (Scunny missed two!) before saving United a point two minutes from the end against Huddersfield. I always thought he was discarded rather quickly by Rovers although Div One is probably his natural level. I cannot help feeling that the skill level offered by Baxter is a real bonus and it is great that we should have him for another month.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Looking at the teams around us in the league table, MK and Preston who are below us probably have 5 or 6 times our wage budget, while the Sheffield clubs, who are only three points ahead of us, I would estimate have 10 times our budget. Considered in that context, our current position is truly remarkable, and brings great credit on the management team.

I was thinking that serious injuries could derail our tremendous start, but we have already had really serious injuries ! If we can keep the back four fit for the majority of the season, hopefully we can mount a serious promotion challenge, as our current success is chiefly the result of the solid foundations at the back.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We now have the joint best defensive record in the league, and joint second best defensive record in the entire football league. Amusingly, Chesterfield (who lie 3rd from bottom) have scored more goals than us.

Superb win tonight.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Amusingly, Chesterfield (who lie 3rd from bottom) have scored more goals than us.
"We are not amused." But seriously, I notice Les took Muzzy off in the middle of the second half and moved Adam to centre forward. I expect he was looking at a possible Plan C for the main striker - or maybe it was just that Muzzy was knackered. And clearly, he does not feel Cole Stockton is worth risking yet - even on the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Impressive result. It seemed that for the spell after half-time, until Tiryaki was subbed, we were totally on top. Adam did get a chance at playing striker, sounds like he did ok, but missed another 1 on 1 at the death. Good to see Robbo returning to action as well.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
This was my first away game this season, and I have to say that after a sluggish first half we played really well. We look really compact, playing as a unit, back four pushing out quickly when we clear our lines. Worst thing about the first half was we just gave the ball away too much, Weir seeming to be the worst culprit.

After some wise words at half time we totally turned it around, closed them down well and forced them to give the ball away, two good poachers goals from Akins who I think had a great game. Midfield played the ball well, and we had some real clever little triangles going on. A deserved win I think after the second half display. Great to see Robinson coming back and he made a difference when he came on. Could of had a goal if McGurk had spotted the right pass.

Worst part of the night?? The fact that I got two free tickets from a friend of the officials and was sat right in amongst the home fans to the right of the away end!!! Keeping quiet when we're winning 2-0 away was damn hard!! :lol:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another cracking result a couple of goals from one of our forwards yet another clean sheet and into the play off places as well what a night.

I would settle for a point on saturday and scunny have drawn 9 of 15 in the league this season

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We look really compact, playing as a unit, back four pushing out quickly when we clear our lines.

After some wise words at half time we totally turned it around, closed them down well and forced them to give the ball away.

Good eye. These two things (highish defensive line + high pressing) are inextricably linked. Our improved possession percentages in games this season are arguably more likely to be a result of what we're doing without the ball rather than what we're doing with it.