• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Phil Bardsley

drwhoman

Phil Bardsley, the former Burnley defender, has signed for Stockport until the end of the season and has donated his entire salary to the Stockport Community Trust! As a former Premier League player he will not be short of a few pennies. Amazing to think that 60 years ago what were then First Division players signed for clubs such as Tranmere as they still needed to generate a wage!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Full credit to him. I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before. Top Premier League players just retire early rather than drop down a couple of leagues to end their career. So many of them could give something back to the game they love, but perhaps understandably they want to be remembered as EPL stars. The days of internationals like Tommy Lawrence, Ron Yeats, Ian St John and Gordon West finishing their careers at Prenton Park have long gone.

drwhoman

Full credit to him. I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before. Top Premier League players just retire early rather than drop down a couple of leagues to end their career. So many of them could give something back to the game they love, but perhaps understandably they want to be remembered as EPL stars. The days of internationals like Tommy Lawrence, Ron Yeats, Ian St John and Gordon West finishing their careers at Prenton Park have long gone.
Yes indeed BBTC and we could indulge in a bit of nostalgia and mention a few more! Eddie Stuart, Dave Hickson, Alan A'court, Tommy Eglington etc etc! I wonder who the last serious one was? I would exclude the wasters who have turned out for us a few times in the last few years, having had a mixed career up the league chain!

drwhoman

Peter Clarke, James Vaughan.
True KH (B) although neither were really PL regulars for any length of time. The truth is that the really top players are now too wealthy to play down the pyramid. After all, if they want to play on, they can now go abroad and be paid pretty well for playing in less demanding leagues. That option was not available in the 60s and 70s, who still needed the money. It is only in the 1960s that the 20 pounds a week cap was abolished. Johnny Haynes getting 100 pounds a week at Fulham was big money!