• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Os 0 Rovers 3

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have just lost my entire match report of today's game, so will summarise as follows:

Superb performance in the same vein as the Exeter game, but actually improving on that match, with everything played to feet in midfield. Robinson was outstanding again, ably assisted by Weir, but Cresswell pushed him close for man of the match, with some unplayable deliveries, including a 35 yard stunner for the first goal.

In the first half the football was a joy to watch, and I have not said that very often this season. Little triangles with great movement off the ball: marvellous.

McGurk's finishes were excellent, the first a left foot strike from 20 yards into the bottom corner, the second a poacher's effort from a great Cresswell cross. This was a real 'coming of age' game for Adam, and he just might be the natural goalscorer we have been looking for.

Orient looked nervous due to the pressure on the game for them, but Rovers started sharper and brighter, and the scoreline did not flatter us.

The last two games have given me renewed hope for next season, and if we can keep the likes of Robinson, McGurk and (hopefully) Cresswell, and play the same style of football, surely we can push on to the top half of the table next year (in fact, looking at the league table, we might get there this season !).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
seen the goals on tv the 3rd looks like it just bounces up and hits mcgurk in the chest and goes in but they all count

M

Mal

Why are there always a shedload more posts when things have gone badly? We've scored 7 in two games. Everyone shell-shocked or is it hard to justify the usual player-and manager-slating under those circumstances?

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Why are there always a shedload more posts when things have gone badly? We've scored 7 in two games. Everyone shell-shocked or is it hard to justify the usual player-and manager-slating under those circumstances?

well i suppose when results are going good then there is nothing to debate or if we do there is a feeling of over confidence .

Results have been good of late but over the season they have been very poor !!

which highlights the real problems of under investment ...

My feeling is ,that les has tweaked the formation ,and the outcome is teams are finding it hard to get going .
Weir /Robinson just great !
:-|

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The most back and forward seems to happen when the 'les is only a spongeman' brigade have some ammunition to have a go with. The slightly more level headed supporters (as in those who support) aren't as likely to have a gloat online after a win as that lot are to have a moan after a defeat.

That said I'm happy to celebrate another emphatic win, and another clean sheet, and the young team that les has been building coming together to really impress us. :twisted:

M

Mal

I predicted 18th at start of season so anything higher is actually a success. I applied expectation management to myself. Now I expect around 10th next season..... provided we have the same bunch of players overall.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Just got back, having taken the opportunity for a night on the town. Fantastic performance! We pulled them to pieces with football - very little hoofball in evidence. With all our most skilful players starting, and not even the excuse of Enoch to launch it to, our tactics were spot on and this performance bore no resemblance whatsoever to some of those dismal home defeats. Orient didn't look great on the day but we didn't really give them a chance, especially helpful was the second goal just before half time. It is no coincidence that we have scored 7 in the last 2 games by utilising our flair players in a more attacking formation. Despite any comments as to the performances of Exeter and Orient, they both still had live play-off hopes and are decent teams at this level. This has got to give us massive hope for next season and, in all honesty, expecting anything less than a top ten finish would be overly negative. If we had employed similar personal and a similarly attacking mindset against the teams in the lowere reaches of this league at PP, we probably would have been in the top ten THIS season.

Apart from the performances of the lads mentioned already (Cressa, McGurk, Robbo) there was a massive amount of effort put in by Weir, Welsh and Akins. It was a really warm day and these guys ran themselves into the ground.

Finally worth mentioning the fantastic support given by both sets of supporters. The SWA was out in force and the O's supporters continued chanting right to the bitter (for them) end. It was their last home game and a good senfd off after a decent season. My first visit to Brisbane Road and the atmosphere generated was fantastic for a game at this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good to hear the reports from the game, two quality goals as well. I think the question which remains unanswered is why were we unable to deliver similar performances against weaker sides earlier in the season?

Player
Manager
John King
Finally worth mentioning the fantastic support given by both sets of supporters. The SWA was out in force and the O's supporters continued chanting right to the bitter (for them) end. It was their last home game and a good senfd off after a decent season. My first visit to Brisbane Road and the atmosphere generated was fantastic for a game at this level.

The atmosphere yesterday was as good as I have ever known for a crowd of circa 5,000. The Orient fans were a credit to their club, but I think playing in a small, compact ground really helps them generate a great vibe. We could never create such an atmosphere with a similar sized crowd now 2/3 of the seats at Prenton Park are surplus to requirements.

Although Barry Hearne is a bit of a wide boy, you have to give him credit for the redevelopment of Brisbane Road, which has made the club sustainable, and created a better match day experience.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Interested to hear how McGurk operated as part of a front 3? He certainly has different qualities to Enoch.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another superb away result. Some of our away wins under Les have been the best I can remember in quite some time.

I think the question which remains unanswered is why were we unable to deliver similar performances against weaker sides earlier in the season?

That's really what he has to work on for next season. If we can beat weaker sides as convincingly, we'd be looking down the table rather than up!

Player
Manager
John King
Interested to hear how McGurk operated as part of a front 3? He certainly has different qualities to Enoch.

He was just as isolated as Enoch, the big difference being we didn't hit any early balls to him. The ball was retained in midfield long enough by Robinson and Weir to enable us to move up the pitch as a unit, and then probe for openings, or get the ball wide to Jennings and Akins. It was the first game this season when I can't remember us hitting ONE long ball in open play.

I just hope we adopt a similar approach when Enoch is fit again. Playing the way we did on Saturday certainly requires more concentration and effort than hoofing it first time, and I just hope we don't revert to our old ways when there is an option to play it long.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Interesting. That indiciates that our distribution from defence was a lot more thoughtful than usual, which is a massive bug-bear of mine usually.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Just seen the goals as I've been in Sweden this weeked. Great finish from McGurk for his first.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The ball was retained in midfield long enough by Robinson and Weir to enable us to move up the pitch as a unit, and then probe for openings, or get the ball wide to Jennings and Akins. It was the first game this season when I can't remember us hitting ONE long ball in open play.
Looks like the missing "Plan B" has arrived! Or maybe it's the new Plan A! Roll on next season!

Player
Liam Palmer
Endorse all the positive things that have been written - it was a superb day out in all senses. And I want to reiterate the point that Orient were a good team, on a winning run, playing with confidence. And we stuffed them. Really did. You could look for any excuses not to praise Rovers but you won't find them! I know someone had a pop at McGurk's goal ("it hit him"), but he was there, where a centre forward should be, and that's good enough for me!

And again, credit to the O's and their fans, what a great bunch, a real credit to their club.

Hope we can win on Saturday and keep the momentum going into the new season. I am confident that Les can build on this and we'll have a much better season. After all, this season has been ruined by half-a-dozen abject performances at home against poor teams. Other than that, especially away, we've played pretty well.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Interesting. That indiciates that our distribution from defence was a lot more thoughtful than usual, which is a massive bug-bear of mine usually.

They did! Ash and Goodi looked to play the pass and Wesh, Weir and Robbo were available. Not 30 yarders, but 10 yards to feet - exactly what was needed. It makes a hell of a difference! I can only remember one previous game this season when we played the ball so effectively from the back ... Scott Wooton's first game, was it the home draw against Brighton when we were unlucky not to win?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
They did! Ash and Goodi looked to play the pass and Wesh, Weir and Robbo were available. Not 30 yarders, but 10 yards to feet - exactly what was needed. It makes a hell of a difference! I can only remember one previous game this season when we played the ball so effectively from the back ... Scott Wooton's first game, was it the home draw against Brighton when we were unlucky not to win?

Really good to hear. In Brazil they call this phase of play 'saida' which basically means departure/exit in Portugese, obviously with reference to the idea that posession is 'departing' (doesn't quite work as a literal translation) from your defence and into an attacking phase of play. Like an exit strategy. Teams tend to designate one player to oversee this transition (Lucas at Liverpool, Mikel at Chelsea, Carrick at United, Busquets at Barca etc).

It really makes a huge difference to the standard of football a team plays if someone in midfield is willing to drop in and take responsability for this stage of play. I think Weir has the qualities for it, and with our system we have the extra man in the middle anyway. Playing direct is fine but we're limiting ourselves really badly by hoofing balls to a target man who isn't very good in the air, bypassing the likes of Robbo and Jenno in the process.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As much as I like Enoch, it's easy to play that long ball because he does fit into the classic 'target man' class. Boring, long ball football. We have players that can play the ball on the floor and look good for it whilst getting excellent results.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
As much as I like Enoch, it's easy to play that long ball because he does fit into the classic 'target man' class. Boring, long ball football. We have players that can play the ball on the floor and look good for it whilst getting excellent results.

He does so only because he's big, not because he's particulaly good at holding the ball up or winning headers. Infact, he's fairly average at both.

And yeah, you're right about our midfield. But they have to receive the ball first though, that's the sticking point. Do you ever feel that Welsh etc are really looking to carry the ball from the defence? They have to take some responsibility themselves.