• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

MK Dons 3, Rovers 0

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A strange game. MK Dons had about six chances including three gifts from Rovers which resulted in their goals. Contrary to the published stats, Rovers had three shots, the only one on target being the missed penalty, a feeble attempt by Jake Cassidy. Both sides looked mid-table League 1, with Dons winning only because they played sensibly in their own penalty area and converted their penalties.

I had an uneasy feeling when the teams were announced and then saw us line up 4-5-1. How would Cassidy fare up front on his own and where would the creativity come from a midfield trio of Wallace, Weir and Welsh? As it turned out, Rovers played as if Les Parry was still manager but without the composure in defence.

Of our players, OFW had very little to do apart from pick the ball out of the net three times. He was rarely tested. Holmes was sound and Buchanan was the pick of the defence - he put in 100% the whole game. Ash was OK, but lost his composure on occasions.

Goodison was an enigma. He swaggered around, read the game well and got away with some outrageous dummies, but was at fault for the second goal. Some referees might not like his style of tackling and marking, but he mainly got away with it today.

Akins had a good game (yes, amplesou!). His first touch was good and he linked up well, although he ran out of steam towards the end. Ditto Bakayogo, who was OK when attacking but gave away the ball in the penalty area resulting in the first goal.

Wallace looked class. He always had enough time on the ball and chose his passes well, but never got far enough forward to do any damage. Weir was poor. He played the most advanced of the midfield trio but lost the ball almost every time. By the time Robinson replaced him, it was too late. Welsh was fairly anonymous.

Cassidy tried hard but got little service. If he had scored the penalty, it might have been different. He needed support upfront, but when Enoch came on, Jake was withdrawn. Enoch had no more success than Jake.

Conclusion? Rovers play even worse with one striker under Ronnie than under Les. Let's stick to 4-4-2. And let's tighten up that defence.

My mate Howard has posted a short clip on YouTube showing their first penalty and Zoum's overhead kick. Believe me, these are the match highlights! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3p_6FBMHbQ&hd=1

My man of the match? Only one person performed with confidence, composure and authority - the referee! He got virtually every decision right and was in control without being card-happy. Full marks to Mr. Hooper.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A thorough and good report thanks, our away form is worrying and looks like being as poor as it was under ronnie last time around.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report BBTC. Just shows how misleading radio commentaries can be, as it actually sounded like Weir had a decent game. Looks like his and Labadie's days could be numbered now.

I worried about the 4-5-1 formation with Cassidy on his own up front as I thought he would be too isolated and so it proved.

As has been commented, it is a worry that our away form seems to have gone south again and a big performance is needed at Walsall now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope the players haven't adopted the attitude that now they have reached the magical 50-point barrier, they can relax. The season is not over yet!

drwhoman

MK DONS

Disappointing - you wonder why the penalty was left to JC when there were more senior players available to take it such as the captain. Still history now. We are not safe mathematically but the odds on relegation are pretty long with only four to play. This may account for a less than 110% performance although you wonder as to why Ronnie changed a winning tactical formula - franchise are not that good. This said, you would have thought that some of these guys will be playing for a new contract next season and therefore they would be really putting in the effort. Ronnie did not sign any of them and hence he will have no qualms about binning anyone who he does not believe in. This assumes, of course, that PJ keeps him on! We have the core of a decent team although it will be hard to find full time replacements for Wallace and Cassidy who have had much to do with our revival. When will Goodison give it away? It must be soon surely?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report BBTC.

Has there been any explanation from RM as to why he opted for the lone striker(and an inexperienced youngster at that)? On the penalty-taking, you'd expect a striker, even a young one to want to have a go. I'm unsure there were any more obvious candidates on the pitch.

With Wycombe losing today a win in one of our remaining games would mathematically guarantee safety. Realistically a point would do. Hopefully, Ronnie will ditch the back-to-Les team selection and pick our strongest side to get that at Walsall on Saturday.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well, we're safe now. Let's call it an experiment gone wrong.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Has there been any explanation from RM as to why he opted for the lone striker(and an inexperienced youngster at that)?

I would imagine it was purely to accommodate Weir while keeping Welsh and Wallace in place. Unfortunately, it seems he failed the audition.

I still would have liked somebody more senior take responsibility for the penalty (Welsh perhaps, given that he apparently made a daft tackle which left us one nil down).

LOL at people on other sites suggesting that RM should not be given the job on the strength of today's performance. Some of our 'supporters' are priceless.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
well you are asking for trouble playing one striker and also whos bright idea was it to ask a 18 year old to take a spot kick when there are more experience pros on the field.anyway thats out of the way and lets concentrate on making sure we are in league one for next season which we should be.

lets hope the players are up for it at walsall.O:)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't get too het up about it. There are many positives - no injuries, Ronnie got to try out another system (nice to see he's willing to experiment) and Ronnie saw a couple of different players. The match was all about next season and it won't change which division we play in. (Wycombe won't win at both Sheff W and Charlton.)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On the penalty-taker, who else would people suggest? Welsh is captain, but missed the penalty he took in the JPT shoot-out. Of the other "experienced players" Goodi, Akins and Zoum haven't taken penalties in shoot-outs, presumably for good reason. Ash has, but would have probably got a slating if he'd taken the penalty instead of Cassidy and also missed.

Player
Liam Palmer
If you cannot trust your centre forward to score from 12 yards with a free shot, who can you? The lad's confidence is up, so he's entitled to say he'll take it.

Whilst not overly concerned at the last two away losses, Ronnie does have 'form' here. He never really cracked playing away from home in his previous spell. He usually went 442 and hoped we'd play well enough to win. On a couple of occasions he went 433 (at Yeovil and we won) but I think sometimes he doesn't have the tactical awareness to deploy different systems. I'd prefer the 442 'have-a-go' approach that he adopts at home. I can't understand why teams go away and set out to defend. The best teams don't. We should play the style that suits us, whether it's at home or away.