• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Macclesfield 1 Tranmere 0

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Now I understand Rovers played last night. Against a "Liverpool XI" so felt it appropriate to field the strongest possible team. But for those of us who couldn't make that game last night and had a billed first team friendly today vs Macclesfield, I for 1 was extremely disappointed to see a youth team plus JASON MCATEER line up against the Silkmen.

Call me naive but I expected at least a couple of first team names involved. Those who didn't feature last night: Allott, (although I now read he may have left already!) maybe those who were substituted last night and the subs, and the new goalie. All we got was a youth team with McAteer in midfield, Curran up front, and Logan making his debut.

It was a £10 I wish i had never spent. It was painful to watch as a strong and powerful Macclesfield just outfought the youth of Tranmere, who if I'm honest didn't really show any signs that any of them will push for the first team for the coming season.

Pick of the bunch on show were Logan, who did well on his debut but not helped by the rest of the team really but got forward well and looked good on the ball, and Curran who worked hard and hit the post and always was dangerous. From the youth, Collister did ok in goal and the number 6, a lad superbly named Max Power did ok too, but the others looked very poor.

I watched the LFC XI game on tv and liked the look of Fraughan when he came on, he was dreadful today. Gave the ball away countless times, ran aimlessly with the ball and missed a sitter in the second half that Harry Redknapp's gran would have scored. Macauley up front was awful, showing none of the good signs he showed us last season.

I came away from the game wishing I'd never gone and very disappointed with the performance. It's not that there wasn't the first teamers there although that was disappointing sure, but the players on show had a chance to say the future of the club looks good. It doesn't really on that showing. Sorry boys.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Macclesfield 1 Rovers 0

Tranmere fielded only a handful of first team players in the game & with Jason McAteer in midfield for the 1st half. Rovers went behind from a corner after 12 minutes and were on the back foot all of the half. They played better after the break and Curran set up the best chance for an equaliser, tap in needed, but it was spurned. Ash Taylor captained and played well in central defence but had 3 different partners. Shaleum Logan did ok on his debut, good going forward, didn't give the ball away easily but is relatively lightweight compared to Shotton. None of those not in 1st team contention caught the eye and finding someone to line up alongside Taylor at the back is a priority for Yeovil

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Got a few pics at the game today:

image0188.jpg

image0189y.jpg

image0190.jpg

image0192.jpg

image0193.jpg

image0194.jpg

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
SCoops, I too was expecting a stronger line-up, but would have gone regardless. Agree with much of what you say about the youngsters. Did think Taylor played well though, winning nearly everything in the air and a bit reminiscent of Chorley.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice pics Coops. Didnt sound like a good performance at all, but then when you play a handful of youth and reserves, that's what you get.

£10 to get in and £12 last night. Havin' a laugh...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
SCoops, I too was expecting a stronger line-up, but would have gone regardless. Agree with much of what you say about the youngsters. Did think Taylor played well though, winning nearly everything in the air and a bit reminiscent of Chorley.

Yeah maybe I would have too, need my football fix and Tranmere fix at that! Taylor looks a good prospect, but that's all he is at the moment. If you said he'd have to play at Yeovil I'd be a bit worried to be honest. He wins headers and is good on the ball but his positional play is all over the place, and he'd be the experienced centre half! And it seems we cannot afford another one!

Unless the young players up their game big style on yesterday's showing, we're gonna be in for a long hard season methinks. Sorry to sound so pessimistic.:-(

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
SCoops, agree with all of that. I'd been unable to get to the other friendlies + never been to the Moss Rose, so made the effort. As I can't see us getting 2 central defenders signed/loaned for Yeovil, so Taylor has to start. Of the 3 who played alongside him, the only one who looked remotely comfortable there was the no 14 (Benson?). It would be truly desparate if he had to play, let's hope it doesn't come to that.