• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Harrogate v Rovers

Match result

• Harrogate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Rovers

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harrogate v Rovers
Posted by Ian
CNG Stadium
Saturday, October 22, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 22, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The hosts take the lead. We’ve got into some good positions in their half but the final ball let’s us down

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Need to get backed into it in the second half.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The bench does look weak in terms of attacking players

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Got to take the criticism with the praise. Too wasteful this half and Turnbull should have cleared the loose ball for their goal. We don’t look particularly cohesive and let’s hope the second half we’re a bit more composed. Thought we’d be brimming with confidence, but we look a little nervy. Thankfully, a whole half to turn this around.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At least we have time but definately need more in the final third.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Their goal came off Simeu who deflected it past Doohan. Would have to see it again to judge if Doohan had it covered otherwise, first thought was not.

We’ve allowed Harrogate to dictate the style of play, lots of long high balls to chase onto. Rovers had the better of chances but their goal changed everything.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-1! Turnbull pokes it home from a corner.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-1 FT. Really should have finished the game off in the second half as we were well on top but final balls and some composure lacking. Still, a point away from home and we continue the unbeaten streak.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Ian suggests the game was there for the taking and our lack of attacking options on the bench was exposed.
A point away from home is never a bad result, especially after being behind at half time but cogley put in a lot of decent balls into the box and no one got on the end of them.

Micky said recently that some players didn’t have much competition and we only had Burton on the bench as an attacking sub. Hemmings had one decent shot saved but otherwise was fairly quiet . We just badly need more squad options in attacking areas of the pitch. Morris did ok but Hawkes was frustrating at times and although Rhys Hughes has showed promise, if that’s our only attacking sub possible it speaks volumes.

Still a point on our travels isn’t a bad result, especially with a winnable home game on Tuesday

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
On reflection, I’ll take the point. Hardly our best performance today, but still looked like we had a lot more football quality than Harrogate. Final balls and decision-making weren’t the best today, but our run had to end some time and glad we at least have another point on the board. Winning on Tuesday will make today’s point feel a positive one; the next game always adds perspective.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
3 home games now which we need to take advantage of, the poor summer recruitment in the forward areas is an issue.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not sure today’s result can be pinned on a lack of attacking options. Nevitt and Hemmings had one decent goal attempt each, there were a few decent balls into the box, mostly from the full-backs, but I felt both wide midfielders. were below par today. However Hawkes seemed to be coming more into it and finding some space. Williams had less impact when he came on. I’d have liked to see McAlear getting some game time as his physical presence may have been better suited to this kind of match.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I’m not sure today’s result can be pinned on a lack of attacking options.
Yes, I agree. The failure to compete and win second balls in the first half was the issue. If we had played for ninety minutes as we did after the break, we would have won the game.

It was just a below par performance in many areas of the pitch. We can't win every game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a fair result. You sometimes have to give the opposition credit for making life awkward and Harrogate battled hard today. They were the sharper, more aggressive side in the first half and they defended their eighteen yard box well when we piled on the pressure in the second period.

The first half performance was as poor a showing as we have had for some time, but it is difficult to be too critical of the players given just how consistent we have been in recent weeks. I thought we failed to match Harrogate's workrate and were sloppy in and out of possession. The mistake by Simeu in the first couple of minutes, where he tried to shepherd a ball back to Doohan that was never going to reach him, set the tone. Both he and Turnbull had their poorest halves for us to date, and struggled to deal with Armstrong's physicality. In possession of the ball we got into good areas, but too often the third or fourth pass went astray and attacking moves broke down.

The second half was much better. We demonstrated that we had the superior quality and dominated, with a lot of good approach work down our right side through Morris and Cogley. However, Harrogate won a lot of headers in their own box and defended well and deserved their point.

The two players who did perform consistently for the ninety minutes were Bristow and Cogley, who were both unplayable at times today.

I don't think we can read too much into today's result in relation to the quality of the attacking or creative players. We were not at our best but still took a point away from home against a side that seem to be coming into some form.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes it wasn’t a bad result at all but as Micky said post match we put numerous balls into the box and whilst they defended them well, could someone have gotten across in front of their centre halves and attacked a cross? It’s been a complaint of Micky in the past aimed at the forwards but as I’ve said a point away from home is never a bad result

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having seen the (poor quality)footage of the Harrogate goal again, while the defending after the ball strikes the outside of the post wasn’t great, I am inclining to think that without the Simeu deflection Doohan would probably save it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Having seen the (poor quality)footage of the Harrogate goal again, while the defending after the ball strikes the outside of the post wasn’t great, I am inclining to think that without the Simeu deflection Doohan would probably save it.
I agree. In any case, I’m not holding you in any way responsible for us not winning. You will see a Rovers victory before long, I promise. ;)