• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Fair Game

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Under a new assessment by the new football regulator, our club has scored well in a new index of English football clubs in the way we are run. We were ninth out of 92.

If the proposals go through, this could affect the money we receive. As an incentive to good governance, clubs will receive more money. We would have got an extra £10 million!

It all sounds a great idea, but you do wonder if most of the EPL clubs, who will probably have to cough up more, will have friends in the government who will water down these excellent proposals. I’m not holding my breath.

drwhoman

Change of subject but of interest. The female coach at FGR did not last long! It turns out that she was only 'interim'! Replaced by the Southampton B Manager. She has reverted to Academy Coach. Not a good look for FGR.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t get the impression that Hannah Dingley was ever going to be more than a temporary measure at FGR. She was used as a publicity stunt by Dale Vince.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I didn’t get the impression that Hannah Dingley was ever going to be more than a temporary measure at FGR. She was used as a publicity stunt by Dale Vince.
There has to be a first time for everything though does not there ? The appointment of a female linesman / referee / physio / manager for the first time will always be dismissed as a 'stunt' by those of a certain disposition.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes typical of the man sadlyl! Was blatantly obvious that she would be replaced sooner rather than later (12 days as it turned out) but still of course the BBC and others insisted on massively overegging it despite even Vince naming her as interim.

Hopefully she at least was aware this was merely a publicity stunt from day 1.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There has to be a first time for everything though does not there ? The appointment of a female linesman / referee / physio / manager for the first time will always be dismissed as a 'stunt' by those of a certain disposition.
I’d like to see a female manager appointed. There have been no issues with female refs or physios in the men’s game. Just because of scepticism expressed about Dale Vince’s motivation for the short-lived appointment of Hannah Dingley shouldn’t lead to general conclusions that all those raising doubts about her brief stint in charge are of “a certain disposition”.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes typical of the man sadlyl! Was blatantly obvious that she would be replaced sooner rather than later (12 days as it turned out) but still of course the BBC and others insisted on massively overegging it despite even Vince naming her as interim.

Hopefully she at least was aware this was merely a publicity stunt from day 1.
Reading her CV, she is not any less qualified to do the job than Ian Dawes.

Vince made it clear it was an 'interim' role, so I don't see how it differs from any other temporary appointment.

Player
Manager
John King
Just because of scepticism expressed about Dale Vince’s motivation
How do you know what his motivation was ?

If the publicity surrounding the appointment provides a clearer pathway for female coaches in the men's game, it is a good thing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Now we are entering the world of AI, here's what Sage has to say on the matter:
One reason why there may be a lack of female managers in men's football is that the sport has traditionally been male-dominated, both in terms of the players and the backroom staff. This can create a culture where women are not seen as viable candidates for coaching roles, or where they may face discrimination or harassment if they do pursue such roles.

However, there are also more specific barriers that women may face in pursuing coaching positions. For example, there may be a lack of opportunities for women to gain coaching experience, particularly at the higher levels of the sport. This can make it difficult for women to build the skills and credentials necessary to be considered for coaching roles in the first place. Additionally, there may be biases and stereotypes that make it difficult for women to be taken seriously as coaches, or that assume that women are not as knowledgeable or capable as men when it comes to football.

Despite these challenges, there are many examples of successful female coaches and managers in other sports, as well as in non-sports-related fields. For example, in the United States, Jill Ellis led the women's national soccer team to two World Cup victories in 2015 and 2019, while in the United Kingdom, Emma Hayes has led Chelsea Women's Football Club to multiple domestic and international titles. These women have shown that it is possible for women to be successful coaches and managers, and that they can bring a unique perspective and skillset to the role.

Overall, it's important to continue working towards creating a more inclusive and equitable environment in all fields, including football. This can involve increasing opportunities for women to gain coaching experience and mentoring, as well as working to address biases and stereotypes that may prevent women from being taken seriously as coaches.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Don’t you wish you were a Brighton fan? For years they were in the same division and ten years ago they had no ground and had to lease a small athletics stadium. Now they have a brand new stadium and are in Europe.

They are well funded, but they have a brilliant player development programme we can only dream of. They picked up Alexis Mac Allister when he was a lad in Argentina and sold him for £35 million. They signed Moises Caicedo for £4 million from Ecuador and 2 1/2 years later he’s worth £115 million. I don’t expect we have the resources for a similar scouting network in South America, but it does make you think.

I wonder what the effect would be of just a 1% levy on transfer fees to support the lower leagues. Even 0.1% would make a huge difference.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is crazy what players are worth these days after just say one season. The amount of players who have say one or two half decent seasons in say the dutch or German league and someone pays crazy money. A lot is for potential of course but Brighton must be laughing all the way to the bank!!

I always think there must be decent players out there in say Ireland, league of wales or the lower English divisions for us. The problem is many don’t work e.g. Darren Stephenson and even if you can afford the risk as they are cheap, managers know they don’t have much time these days so always want a quick fix and don’t play them