• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

F A CUP REPLAYS

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mark Palios was talking about this on the radio earlier and the impact on teams at our level. All rather depressing.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Like always the prem don't give a toss about teams out side there bubble its a wonder they haven't stopped relagated and promoting teams

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Like always the prem don't give a toss about teams out side there bubble its a wonder they haven't stopped relagated and promoting teams
You are so right, AM. That was the whole basis of setting up the Premier League - a bigger share for them. I’m sure the bigger clubs would love to be immune from relegation and probably would be if the FA had not been involved.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The domestic cups will just become worthless eventually. The big clubs don't give a toss about them and the magic of a bumper tie will be gone for many clubs.

FA Cup winners get 2m. Champs league winners get 20m.

If you win the Champions League without losing a game you are looking at around 75m.

Nothing to do with too many games, they have big enough squads and all to do with greed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would prefer it if the Premier League clubs resigned from all domestic cup competitions and left them to the Football League and non-league clubs. At least that way we would be free from their endless interference.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The league cup is now the easiest way to get into Europe. Only four or is it five games needed to win for top clubs. And this includes the final money and television money. And yet, the big clubs only put out first eleven players in semi or final ties.

If there came a time when the top clubs opted out of cups, it would not get the sponsorship for the cups, just like the pizza cup!

The problem is not made easier by the promotion of the women's football, now!
I just wonder if womens football clubs are sustainable without support from the FA and parent clubs?

One look at the list of FA Cup winners and finals this century should lay to rest the myth that EPL clubs don’t care about it. Most do, including the big hitters, they just want to use their squads efficiently in reaching the latter stages.

At the risk of upsetting the Paliosi, I think the smaller clubs‘ moaning about the suggestion of scrapping replays in rounds 3 and 4 is both vastly exaggerated and, being motivated mostly by money, somewhat hypocritical.

There are generally only a few replays anyway - last season there were six in each of these two rounds, and fewer than half of those dozen could be argued to have any connotations with the ‘romance of the cup’. Further, only one In each round involved a PL club anyway - Wolves v Liverpool (which only supports the PL‘s stance, as neither club would’ve wanted it) and Sunderland v Fulham.

Also smaller clubs tend to have a better chance of winning a one off tie against superior opponents than after a replay. I wonder if, say, Boreham Wood and Chesterfield would've preferred a crack at extra time or penalties in their first games at home to Accrington and WBA to try and see them off, rather than travel away for midweek replays knowing their best chance of glory had probably gone.

Of course, for us, there’s the likes of the Watford replay (which, incidentally, we earned thanks in no small part to that ‘product of the enormous wealth and litigious culture of the Premier League‘, VAR ;)) which MP always cites. And of course it’s a fair argument. But there‘s plenty of fair counter-arguments too in the grand scheme of things, which is why I not only expect replays will be scrapped but why I also expect only a tiny minority will still be lamenting their passing after a year or two.

Last edited: