• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Elkanah Onyeali

drwhoman

I see that his son was at the game on Saturday. I remember the buzz when he played for Rovers in 1960 while he was at Liverpool Uni. He did not stay long but he could score a goal unlike the current crowd!

Shame the result was not better for his son!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see that his son was at the game on Saturday. I remember the buzz when he played for Rovers in 1960 while he was at Liverpool Uni. He did not stay long but he could score a goal unlike the current crowd!

Shame the result was not better for his son!
He was potentially a really good player who fell out with the then manager (I think, Walter Galbraith), who thought it was impossible to be a university student and a pro footballer. With more sympathetic management, he could have developed and been an early role model for black players in this country.

Fortunately, by the time Mark Palios came along, Ron Yeats was in charge. If that hadn’t happened, Mark might never have made it as a pro. We wouldn’t have won at Highbury, his career path might have been different and he would not have the money, experience and desire to buy Rovers.

BTW, the fiftieth anniversary of our win against Arsenal is on 2nd October. I hope the club is going to celebrate what is still in my view our greatest ever performance.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Fortunately, by the time Mark Palios came along, Ron Yeats was in charge. If that hadn’t happened, Mark might never have made it as a pro. We wouldn’t have won at Highbury, his career path might have been different and he would not have the money, experience and desire to buy Rovers.
If I remember correctly he left us for Crewe (before returning) because we changed our policy on part-time players. Steve Coppell was at Liverpool Uni while he was playing for us and completed his degree at United.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I remember John Aspinall was another part-timer on our books in the period 1983-85, so I would imagine the policy had reverted back by the time MP returned.