• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cumbrians 0 Rovers 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were excellent last night, controlling the game from first whistle to last. We played some of our best football for months, and it was our best performance away from home since probably Charlton in October.

The changes to the side had the desired effect with all the players that came in doing well. We were far more solid at the back with the pairing of Taylor and Goodison (don't know why Ash was ever dropped in the first place to be honest) and Brunt did very well up front. I have had some sympathy for Muzzy playing that lone role this season, but I must admit that Ryan played it far better and looked much more of a natural target man / link player. He always seemed to hold the ball long enough for midfielders to join in and his flicks and lay-offs invariably found a white shirt. His movement across the back four was also much better than Tiryaki's, always giving the player on the ball a better angle unlike Mustafa's somewhat statuesque performances. It was noticeable that our movement off the ball was much better throughout the team, and enabled us to play the kind of passing game we saw in the early weeks of the season.

The midfield trio were very good, particularly Wallace, but man of the match by far was Devaney. His pace and sharpness now seem to have returned and playing in his natural role on the right, he tormented their back four all game with some superb runs.

The only down side was our finishing, once again. We created a string of chances, yet only hit the target once with a Brunt shot that was cleared off the line after two minutes. A number of absolute sitters were missed, with Brunt and Weir particularly guilty in the second half. It was a game we dominated and deserved to win, but our composure in front of goal must improve if we are to pull away from the bottom of the table. The fact that Carlisle's first genuine opportunity came from a free kick in the 90th minute, brilliantly saved by Fonners, indicates just how one-sided the game was.

In all, I think Les got the tactics, team selections and approach spot on and deserves some credit. We actually played the 4-5-1 intelligently as we did in the early weeks of the season, and the ball stayed on the floor. Goalscoring remains a major problem for us, however.

A couple of asides. It was interesting to see Mike Dean three rows in front of me last night getting his fix of 'real' football. It was also interesting to overhear Ryan Brunt's family talking in the queue at half time, commenting that 'it's a thankless task for him playing up front on his own like that'. If they thought Ryan was isolated last night they should have seen some of our other performances this season !

Finally, there was a terrific atmosphere and rapport with the players from the 100 Rovers fans last night, the kind of atmosphere that a few of the whingebags at Prenton Park would be wise to take note of.

Player
Liam Palmer
Thanks for the report. Lifted my spirits no end. It sounded like we should have won from the radio commentary. Hopefully this is a turning point. Hope the whingers are proved wrong.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
So another good performance and only a point, just like Hudds the other week. To be fair, I'll take a point at Carlisle on a cold Tuesday night, we desperately need a WIN to give us a boost though.

Come on Rovers, give us something to cheer about.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. It sounds encouraging although also an element of same old, same old in terms of Rovers failing to convert their chances . At least with Ash's return there seemed to be more solidity at the back.

A mate, who works up there atm and is not a Rovers fan went last night. He felt we should have won, but felt that Devaney blotted his copybook by being too selfish trying long-range efforts when a pass to a better-placed team-mate was more promising. Is that fair?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not sure it is fair to be honest, as he also set up good chances for others, most notably for Wallace who (surprise, surprise) missed the target from 15 yards.

Just hope we keep him fit for the remainder of the season and play him in his preferred position.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thanks for the report. Lifted my spirits no end. It sounded like we should have won from the radio commentary. Hopefully this is a turning point. Hope the whingers are proved wrong.

It may have escaped your notice but we have now won one of our last 17 games so its hardly surprising people are unhappy is it?

DIW

Player
Goodison
Thanks for the report. Lifted my spirits no end. It sounded like we should have won from the radio commentary. Hopefully this is a turning point.

Well it wouldn't be the first 'turning point' this season. Don;t get your hopes up.

Still well played to the lads for putting a decent performance in.

Player
Liam Palmer
All I said was I hope the whingers are proved wrong. I don't deny people are unhappy. I am. And you can have many turning points in a season. I just hope this is one. If we play the way we played against Huddersfield and Carlisle, I honestly think we'll start winning games. But of course we might not.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Many thanks RLC

It may have escaped your notice but we have now won one of our last 17 games so its hardly surprising people are unhappy is it?

You might be reminded of what your role as a 'supporter' of the club entails

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was an excellent point and and a really good performance. The usual issues apply with not being able to hit a barn door, but if we put in this level of performance every week, we wouldn't have a problem.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Many thanks RLC

You might be reminded of what your role as a 'supporter' of the club entails

I am aware of my role as a supporter i just want a new manager as les is not upto the job simple really.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've just watched the highlights and I'm amazed by the number of chances we had. I didn't realise it was that one-sided. Can we get some shooting practice, seriously..