• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Club statement / chairman update

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

Includes:

Re Dawes: As Chairman, I take responsibility for the appointment of Ian Dawes as manager. I felt he had earned the opportunity to try to prove himself in that role, after having been with us for three years as assistant, earning a great reputation for his coaching ability and having had an excellent spell as interim manager in 2020, when he was undefeated in his five matches in charge, winning four of those games. It is always something of a gamble to give the opportunity to an assistant manager to make his first step up to manager in the League and of course we now know that it unfortunately did not work out, but every young manager has to be given his first opportunity somewhere

Budget: We have now got the club to a position where it is broadly financially stable in League Two, and can roughly break even on a cash basis with an average playing budget. Our playing budget is about average for League Two, but there are some teams we are all aware of who can simply out-pay almost everyone else.

Future owners: We are in active dialogue with a number of interested parties but it remains to be seen whether we will get a deal over the line. It’s not simply a case of agreeing financials – it’s also a case of ensuring that we find the right owner who can help the Club to thrive in the future. Whilst those discussions go on, it remains business-as-usual and Nicola and I continue to try to keep moving the Club forwards. We both remain committed to, and focused on, doing that until there is someone better placed to take over the baton.

Next season:
I am delighted to be able to report that Season Card sales are currently running ahead of the same point last year, and I thank every one of you who has kept the faith and renewed, or become a Season Card holder for the first time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A decent statement which is pretty honest and for me with Nigel Adkins in charge gives me hope for next season

It’s an excellent piece of communication. The online Q&As are decent, but the considered written word can often get more across, and more effectively, than the more spontaneous spoken word.

That said, mindful that MP refers to the AGM being a week tomorrow, I hope any shareholders on here have got their tougher questions lined up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some supporters are now having a moan about the fact we are mid table budget. If you haven’t got the money, you haven’t got the money!

At least iFollow is disappearing, awful service. Hopefully replaced with something better.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some supporters are now having a moan about the fact we are mid table budget. If you haven’t got the money, you haven’t got the money!

At least iFollow is disappearing, awful service. Hopefully replaced with something better.
Some people are never happy. Others saying he’s deliberately timed it when people are happy after the Wrexham game. He can’t win - people have been saying Palios have been quiet and then when they put something detailed out they moan!!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
He states they have put in £6 mill now as shares which are valued higher in theory. Don't we still have a large debt and doesn't he state we have no external debt. Anyone of the dismal profession shed any light here.
The comments of some beggar belief, one claims our supporter base demand we should be challenging top of Div 1. I missed the core 10,000 with bumper turnouts also!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There is still a certain amount of spin, but it is much better than his previous statements.

I think the most interesting section relates to the January transfer window. I think it is clear that Adkins asserted authority and said he did not want to make changes for the sake of it, so hopefully he has overall control of recruitment in the summer and we end up with a better balanced squad of players that he really wants.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes its good to hear what the club have been doing. Also good to hear abt the things tgey are doing and wanting to do and get to.