• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chesterfield 4 Rovers 3

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds an interesting game for the neutral, but a disappointing one from our perspective, though SonkORLY? might see it differently. Listening to the first hour on Radio Merseyside, it sounded like Rovers were well on top in the first half until the midfield failed to close down Mendy who scored having run into space. The second goal sounded like a free header after again some slackness in midfield and the central defenders were too far apart. The other goals conceded seemed to be partly down to defensive errors and misjudgements from OFW. Will be interesting to hear from anyone who went. Did Les get the team selection/tactics/subs wrong tonight?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm struggling for positives here. OK, McGurk, Tiryaki and Shuwunmi all scored, but so what? To lose after twice being in the lead is appalling - and we did the same thing at Scunthorpe just a few days ago. That makes three times this season we have lost an away game after scoring first, the first occasion being Notts County.

In our eight victories so far this season, we have kept a clean sheet in seven and conceded just one goal in the other game. But it seems once we get involved in a high-scoring game, we bottle it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
very strange indeed

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Its kind of ironic in a way in that of late, we have hardly conceded, but hardly scored.

Then when we finally get score 3 in a game, we concede 4. Not like us of late and perhaps shows our strength in depth isnt that great.

Not too concerned though. Look ahead to Saturday now.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I went last night, and I thought we were rubbish to be honest, the worst performance I have seen this season.

The question was asked above, 'did Les get his tactics right ?'. Well, certainly not if he wanted to actually win the game, but I don't blame him for being concerned about Robbo and Goody (he did get the subs spot on though, particularly going to two up front when we first went a goal down).

Despite the scoreline, I didn't get much pleasure from the game, which I thought was error strewn and pretty poor quality. Our defending in the second half was diabolical, and we lacked shape and cohesion throughout, with the ball being needlessly given away on a number of occasions.

The experiment with McGurk in the hole did not work, although as he was played centrally he did pose much more of a goal threat, and the first goal was fantastic. I think I have seen him start five or six games in a central position now, and he has got four goals in those games, which suggests to me that he is a natural finisher.

Defensively, the centre backs struggled badly, although as an individual I thought Ash Taylor did ok. Ash and McChrystal have hardly played together, and when you add that to Mark's lengthy absence, it is no wonder they found it difficult really. At right back, I thought Holmes looked out of his depth in all honesty, and I think I would rather see Kay as deputy in this position.

The only positive to come from the night was the fact all three strikers got on the scoresheet (aided by some poor Chesterfield defending), and I was pleased for Enoch, as the goal clearly meant a lot to him from his reaction. Overall, Chesterfield showed the better attitude, and deserved to win the game, but were there for the taking if we had been anywhere near our best. I would see our fight back from 2-1 down to 3-2 up as a sign of good character, had we not shown a total lack of character in the last ten minutes in throwing the lead away again.

Hopefully this result won't have a negative impact on the games coming up, if we return to a proper line-up, with our regular defence and Robinson / Baxter in the hole.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm struggling for positives here. OK, McGurk, Tiryaki and Shuwunmi all scored, but so what? To lose after twice being in the lead is appalling - and we did the same thing at Scunthorpe just a few days ago. That makes three times this season we have lost an away game after scoring first, the first occasion being Notts County.

In our eight victories so far this season, we have kept a clean sheet in seven and conceded just one goal in the other game. But it seems once we get involved in a high-scoring game, we bottle it.

I wouldn't bracket last night with the Scunthorpe game to be honest, that would be very unfair. We played a lot of great stuff at Scunthorpe, and were a bit unlucky with refereeing decisions etc., whereas last night we were just plain crap. It will be a different team, and hopefully a completely different performance on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the comprehensive report RLC. It's interesting that you felt we were so poor, the first 60 minutes commentary on Merseyside seemed to be putting a more positive spin on things; we were unlucky not to be ahead at half time? I did wonder about only playing two midfielders flanked by Zoum and Lucas and not resting one to give Joss a start.

BBTC, it sounded like we were very unlucky with some dodgy refereeing and the to be expected cheating from Notts, so I'm unsure there's a trend of bottling high-scoring games. However, we seem to score relatively few late significant goals, whereas we concede crucial goals at the end of a game fairly regularly.

Player
Manager
John King
In the first half, after scoring the goal we basically sat back and waited for Chesterfield to come on to us. Had we taken the game to them at this stage and scored a second the game would probably have been over, but we didn't. We defended reasonably well before half time, and due to their lack of confidence they did not create much, but I thought we pretty much invited the goal by sitting so deep. Our passing was not great, probably due to the absence of Robinson, and we only mounted one attack of note, a shot from Akins from the edge of the box, and I thought it was a generally lacklustre performance.

I think Les's post-match interview sums the game up quite well. A lot of the qualities we have shown for the majority of the season were missing last night. I think the Radio Merseyside commentaries tend to be a touch biased at times, particularly when Mr Doyle is involved. :neutral:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ha, yes, the radio commentary always puts a positive spin on our games. It sounds to me like the players really weren't that bothered about winning this one. Add to that the defensive frailties mentioned by RLC and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Have to agree 100% with BBTC. Going ahead twice and then still losing the game is pretty appalling to be honest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I very rarely get to hear the Merseyside commentary, but found it on the web. Will take with a pinch of salt in future!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the report, RLC. I sort of guessed what you would say. I take your point about the different circumstances of the Notts, Scunthorpe and Chesterfield games, but the fact remains that in the last two seasons (where we have really struggled), we only lost two matches after scoring first. This season (where we are supposed to have turned the corner) it's happened three times already.

Another stat I don't like is that if we concede a goal in the first 70 minutes against L1 opposition, we always lose (except Sheff U). And another is that when we have gone a goal down, we have never won and only once even got a draw (again Sheff U). Yes, we may be the country's shutout kings, but once the defence is breached, the floodgates open and we never recover.

I can't believe the players didn't care last night. Half the side are not regulars and would be playing for their places. Now we are out of the JPT, they may have to wait a long time for another chance. Les will play his best available side in the FA Cup.

To finish on a positive, I give Les full marks for giving his benchwarmers a run out and for trying a few positional and tactical changes. It's a shame the players let him down.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I can't believe the players didn't care last night. Half the side are not regulars and would be playing for their places. Now we are out of the JPT, they may have to wait a long time for another chance.

Without meaning to go on, I think this backs up what I was saying pre-match.

To finish on a positive, I give Les full marks for giving his benchwarmers a run out and for trying a few positional and tactical changes. It's a shame the players let him down.

So does this.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can't believe the players didn't care last night. Half the side are not regulars and would be playing for their places. Now we are out of the JPT, they may have to wait a long time for another chance. Les will play his best available side in the FA Cup.

Only 2 of the side could really be classed as non-regulars though Zoum and Holmes; the other change McChrystal was first choice before his injury. RLC says Danny looked out of his depth, the Ash-Mark pairing in central defence was probably one of the few times they'd played together, unsure how well Bakayogo played? It sounded like some of the regulars were not at their best here and a counter argument is perhaps Les should have utilised all 5 changes available for this game.

Player
Manager
John King
Just to add to the above comments, I definitely got the impression that 5 or 6 of the regulars weren't exactly pulling their tripe out on Wednesday. There was none of the focus and competitiveness we show in league games.

Having seen the goals again it is notable that for Chesterfield's second and third Ash Taylor was dragged out of position on the right hand side leaving us exposed in the middle and the Chesterfield striker unmarked when the cross came over. Holmes was nowhere to be seen, which I think backs up my comment that he looked out of his depth.

It is notable, however, that Fon Williams has a bit of an issue concerning coming off his line on crosses at the moment. Definitely an area to work on.

I am still not overly concerned and think we will do fine once the regular back line is in place.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Of course you always have to remember that in doing this, you are running the risk of losing games. Holmes sounded useless. If Les wanted to win this one so much, he's taking a big risk with these players. Even McChrystal who we know is a decent defender at this level hasn't played for months. He's going to be rusty.