• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cheltenham 1-0 Tranmere

• Thread starter championship_here_we_come
  • Start date
C

championship_here_we_come

first half was very poor, we should of been 4-0 down at ahlf time to be honest

second half we improved and looked like scrapping a draw

defence sounded shakey today, mullin may be injured aswell

cant really comment that mcuh as couldnt go myself so was listening on radio

GOOD away following of 391, its a long way to go on a rainy tuesday night

ps to all the guys in chat, i had a great time, and will be in there most away days i cant get to many away game, (hoping for blackpool, oldham and millwall)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh hell. Seems like the lads really let themselves down in the first half. Fuunny thing was, they had a really good first few minutes and it was all a bit of an anti-climax as Chelteham then went on to score and untimately win the game.

I believe a draw would have been a fair result on reflection of the second half. A goal just didn't come even though some good chances were wasted.

Ronnie's going to have to try and cut out those slack halves. First half was a complete waste of time. Like CHWC mentioned, it could have been 4-0 at HT such was Tranmere's performance. Defensively, Goodison was making errors and McCready was run ragged by the dangerous Odejayi.

Not disasterous by any means. The lads showed fight in the second half and it is only the second game in.

I believe we would have benefited by bringing Zola on earlier and by all accounts McAteer had a bit of a stinker when he came on giving the ball away on four seperate occasions.

Would Ellison have made a difference?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
You know what, I'm not too unhappy. It's still really early and the league's not even properly formed yet, and neither is our team. More to the point we will lose games this season. And I'm quite happy in that knowledge, because we're going to win games too. In fact the smart money says we're going to win more games than we lose. And that's a much better situation than knowing you're going to draw (or lose!) the games you should win and lose the games you should draw like all of last season, and much of the season before.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I'm not too disappointed either on reflection. Bearing in mind we're still trying to bed in a whole new team almost, and they are still on a high after promotion and a great win at Swansea on Saturday!!

Would like to see us pick something up at Doncaster on Saturday though.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
For my first appearance in the matchday chatroom, the result was disappointing but not a complete disaster as judging from the radio commentary we showed a huge amount of promise in the second half.

Cheers to Scoop, Ian, JK, CHWC, Gray, Jim and anyone else that popped into the chat room. We managed to keep ourselves amused with the swear censor program and had a great natter about the game too.

See you again for Donny on Saturday, provided you're not actually going to the match.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
And for anyone that did see the game,

Did Ward, Sheriff, Mullin & Tremarco have as good a game as the commentary described. I know Ward saved us from a few stings and Sheriff always seemed to be comfortable on the ball but you only get this second hand.

N

Nevin on the wing

I was at the game and I'm disappointed with the result as Cheltenham were hanging on at the end and if we'd have put in a better performance in the first half, we could have got something out of this.

We started off brightly only for Cheltenham to score with their first shot - which came from the first of a few defensive howlers in the opening 45. Judging him on his first half display, you would never have believed that Goodison is an ex-International! He was slicing the ball and the communication between him and Ward was really not good (keeper would call it and Goodison would run to the ball and boot it away).

Still, he was in the right places to defend, it's just that he had an off half and made a few bad mistakes. He was much improved in the second.

As for the rest, I thought Sheriff looked a little uncomfortable at times, but he grew into the game. The rest of the team played OK or well in the first half. Ward obviously saved us with the one on one save with Odejayi - incidently we must have known what kind of player he was and yet we seemed to really stuggle against him. He had three golden chances in the first half, the first he scored, the second was a poor finish from 10 yards with only the keeper to beat and the third was from a similar position to the first, but he smacked it into the back of the stand. You can't give someone like that three clear chances. He's good enough to tuck one away.

Our other problem in the first half was that, whether by design or because of pressure, we were playing a lot of long, high balls up to Taylor and Greenacre, which just wasn't working. Shuker wasn't in the game in the first half.

This changed in the second with us playing the ball much more on the ground and getting Shuker in possession a lot. At first Cheltenham doubled up on him, but because we kept moving the ball around, their defence became more stretched and Shuker benefited from a bit more room.

All in all, I thought the midfield and strikers all played well and we put Cheltenham under pressure for some good stretches in the second half. We had the chances to score and when Zola came on the pressure increased (shold have brought him on 5 min earlier!).

An encouraging performance in the second half, this team looks capable of playing good football.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think we were always destined to lose one or two games early on as our team continues to gel... and you can't be too disappointed. Would of been nice to have claimed a draw and still been unbeaten though obviously.