• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Charlie Barnett- different class

tranmeremad7

Player
charlie barnett
Been to our last 3 games...being crewe, stockport and MK and ive got to say everytime i have seen the boy Barnett play i have thought he has been a different class.

I went the game yesterday i thought the young lad stood out. He really is going to be a player, his passing and vision was a different class at times and he protected the back four superbly, he is just a natural footballer, he was superb. the boy has got a big future, just hope we can keep hold of him and find more players like him!!!
progress.gif

Player
Goodison
Yeah I first saw him at Grimsby and he looked a bit lost in the midfield but in the last few games i've seen (excluding Franchise), he has looked very good and seems to have plenty of composure and seems to see the passes that others don't - he reminds me a bit of Koumas.

He should be given a longer contract, he's currently on a 1 year deal and if it's not extended it will be Steve Davies all over again.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
i'd like to see more of him but not going to go OTT. I'm not surprised to hear that Ronnie has struggled with his work ethic, as his career has drifted by pretty easily in a liverpool reserve side, who don't play anything near "competative" football. Whether or not he will respond to the challenge and step up his game will determine if he has the character to have a long term future at the club, but given that he is being increasingly included in first team duties makes me think he's took the criticisms on board. This would contrast with rumours circling that he's lazy in training and far too content with his own (all too often minor) contribution on the pitch. I like players in his mould though (good technical and creative midfielders), and for the same reasons that I'm desperate for Georgie to do well i'd like to see Barnett secure a place in the first team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, definitely sounds like Koumas. Great technical skills but lazy.. I'm only going off what others have said however. I've seen him only a handful of times this season so I can't really form an opinion. It would be nice to see him get 90 mins. Tonight maybe?!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
yep! i think he did well, certainly better than kay in center midfield.

Player
Goodison
I think Kay and Barnett in central midfield would be a good combination as Kay could anchor the midfield and cover up for Barnett's defensive frailties.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I think Kay and Barnett in central midfield would be a depressing combination as Kay could stand around telling other people what to do instead of actually contributing anything himself and fail to cover up for Barnett's defensive frailties.

i agree.

jennings was our best midfielder last season by a long shot, and despite struggling early on this time round, he certainly seems to be getting going again now.

i was surprised and impressed with barnett's work rate today and would rather see him alongside jenno, edds or maybe even paul henry than kay.

Player
Goodison
McLaren was our best midfielder last season, that's why we have missed him so much. Jennings was very good but I feel McLaren was better. In my opinion Jennings shouldn't be in the team until he signs a new contract.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
lol, its intersting how people can watch the same game of football over the course of a season and see different things...

IMO mcclaren was a lazy, average league 1 central midfielder with a touch of sophistication that flattered to decieve most of our fans. perhaps he is at his level, playing in league 2 with bradford?

i saw jennings do the work of two players in central midfield last season.

Player
Goodison
Jennings was definitely more hard working than McLaren but McLaren had the greater impact going forward which is why they were a very good pairing in central midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We haven't had a decent attacking midfielder for years now. I think it's bye the bye really. McLaren, Jennings. I think they've all made around the same impact.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Jennings was definitely more hard working than McLaren but McLaren had the greater impact going forward which is why they were a very good pairing in central midfield.

yeah, this is true. mcclaren got so many assists last season, so in some ways it is hard to criticise him. i do still feel that he was very overrated though, and i think we might've just done a good deal in shipping him off and shipping barnett in. here's to hoping, anyway...