• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Blades blunted

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a cracking game today, between two good sides. The point was well deserved, and in fact I think we shaded the game as a whole, certainly on chances created.

I said before the match that this game would give us an indication of how the rest of the season will go: well, we went toe to toe with a side with us much quality as any team in this division, and on that basis I think we can be positive about the next nine months.

It was particularly pleasing to see that even when we were chasing the game in the second half, Robinson, Devaney and Weir were still happy to receive the ball in tight situations and play triangles, rather than resorting to a lazy hoof. Full marks to les for the change in emphasis in the games so far this season.

Devaney was back to his best in the first half and he and Robinson put a string of quality balls into the box which we should have made more of, Akins in particular when heading straight at Simonsen. As on Tuesday, it was great to be able to bring a player of Labadie's quality off the bench to make a major impact in the game.

Referee was appalling. Atmosphere at Prenton park is greatly improved now that the rear of the Kop has been reopened. Don't know what Danny Wilson was going on about in his post-match interview, suggesting that we had bullied his team off the park. Roll on Brentford......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with the above. Enjoyable game to watch from both teams who played with the ball on the floor. Our style of play is so much better now and it's really refreshing to see the ball played in this way. If we'd have played the aimless long ball game we've seen so often in the past, we would have lost.

If the football continues like this, there will be more supporters coming to watch. I heard a lot of praise from supporters about the way we played and with the draw due to the performance and the effort shown.

Devaney and Robinson really put in some great crosses and it was a shame Devaney didn't have the same impact in the second but I was also impressed with Buchanan at left back. Robinson had a real good game too. Frustrated the opposition at times and while not blessed with much pace, he's really tricky with the ball at his feet.

There were a few moments from both sides when tackles flew in, which I thought the referee diffused well, but some of his decisions in the second half were shocking.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting take on the game, RLC. I was talking to a Blades fan on the train home and he thought they were fortunate to get a point. They could have got all three after McChrystal's suicidal back-pass! Aside from that and their goal, which was near unstoppable, can't remember Fon Williams being seriously tested. Contrast that with Simmo, who pulled off a number of decent saves for the visitors. Certainly we approached the game in a positive way and for the most part didn't resort to the dreaded hoof ball.

The Ref was bad for both sides. Devaney, having started brightly, was lucky to stay on the pitch following a wild challenge on Quinn. Robbo could easily have seen a red card for his shove with hands raised, probably saved by the meal that the pushed player made of it. However there was also a good penalty shout for us, which he dismissed.

A concern for me was the midfield. Robbo was excellent, aside from the above stupidity. Welsh was harshly booked early on, then was very quiet. I can't make my mind up about Weir. He ducked out of too many challenges, but did try to play the ball on the deck. Can't help feeling, particularly given his two goals, that Joss deserves a start.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, surely it would be difficult to leave Joss on the bench for for next game. Weir does sometimes appear a little anonymous but he plays the right way. I think I'd pick Joss over him though.

I'd say both teams had their fair share of chances. Six on target for Rovers as opposed to four for the blades. Fon-Williams who I have been really impressed with made a couple of really good saves early on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Les probaly prefers Weir because he is a bit more disciplined defensively, whereas Joss will roam and go hunting for the ball. I would agree that Labadie has been the more impressive player this season, but it might be difficult to accommodate both Robinson and Joss in the side.

Mention should also be made of the tactical switch made today, with Tyriaki coming on in a 4-4-2. Les was often accused of being unable to change the direction of a game when we were behind last season, but the substitution definitely swung the match back in our favour after a period when things had gone a little flat.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Good game and a good result. I agree with most of what has been said. Didn't hear what Danny Wilson said, but personally I'm more than happy for us to bully teams out of the game.

Good performances from a number of players. Devaney looked very tricky in the first half and Robbo (although a bit of a loose cannon, that push was ridiculous) has a touch of real quality. Mustafa looked a bit of a handful when he came on. Labadie took his goal well and it is good to see him now pushing for a start, this sort of competition for places in exactly what we need. Fon Williams had made a couple of good saves before the goal, which in fairness no goalkeeper would have stopped.

Akins? Give me strength...

We can push on from here, Les has done well to assemble what looks like a competetive squad. Time will tell just how far we can push up League 1 but I am confident we will be well clear of the bottom this season.

And yes the atmosphere was much better with the upper Kop open.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Les probaly prefers Weir because he is a bit more disciplined defensively, whereas Joss will roam and go hunting for the ball. I would agree that Labadie has been the more impressive player this season, but it might be difficult to accommodate both Robinson and Joss in the side.

Mention should also be made of the tactical switch made today, with Tyriaki coming on in a 4-4-2. Les was often accused of being unable to change the direction of a game when we were behind last season, but the substitution definitely swung the match back in our favour after a period when things had gone a little flat.

On the midfield, maybe. However Joss made one peach of a tackle when he came on, while Robbie isn't much use (even if he is in the right place), if he doesn't get stuck in.

Sort of agree about the tactical changes. However I didn't think Akins played that badly, putting a few good balls into the box, whereas I can't recall any significant crosses or ball into the box from Robbie Weir, when he was switched there. McGurk was missed, while Kay filled in well for Raven, who wasn't.

From the distance of the Town End Paddock, Fon Williams didn't appear to be tested much by the Blades shots on target first half, though maybe viewed closer to the action, they were. I'm still uncertain about our new keeper's judgement, he seems to leave his line and fail to claim the ball on occasion, when given his height might be better advised to stay put.

Overall far more good things than bad about Rovers' showing here.

M

Mal

As I'm now down in London, I don't get to as many games as I'd like. Reading the reports of yesterday's game, I wonder if the Notts fan had a point and that we have some players who play on the 'hard' and not always fair side and deserve the yellows and reds. Anyone care to comment?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Most of the yellow cards given to both sides were deserved. There were some tasty tackles at times.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
i notice notts county had a player sent off yesterday and the second booking was for diving

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounds like a good performance and certainly I'd have taken a 1-1 draw before the match. Lots more positives than negatives, including the innovation of a Plan B (4-4-2). I was also caught out by Les's "Zoom for McGurk" quote, which was clearly aimed at confusing the opposing management. He often does that with statements like "I don't think Goodi will be fit in time" the day before before Ian plays a stormer!

The gate was poor given who we were playing and the anticipated away support, but if we continue to get good results and play more attractive football then surely some of last season's deserters will return.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In answer to Mal's question, generally I don't feel Rovers are a dirty side. Our defenders/forwards don't seem to lead with their elbows and while there are one or two hotheads there; step forward Robbo and Joss, we generally keep the right side of the laws of the game.

I do have concerns about Martin Devaney however. The footage from Notts County suggested that the challenge which led to Ravenhill being carried off was clumsy rather than reckless. The challenge on Quinn in this game was hard and wild, I have no doubt that some officials would have sent him off.

BBTC, I was expecting a gate closer to 7k. However it's the holiday time of year plus the size of the away following was smaller than anticipated were factors dragging it down. We still got more than the London and Greater Manchester derbies at Brentford and Oldham pulled in. Also people leaving the ground were talking positively about the game, a much better vibe than some of last season's showings.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Thanks to all for the reports. Really interesting to read.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Was my first game of the season and I was really impressed compared to what i saw last season. We played some great football at times and defended well, often forcing their attacking positions back to the centre backs and goalkeeper.

Thought we were a touch unlucky not to come away with all 3 points. All the new players look good, and think once Devaney is fully match fit could be a real problem for opposing defenders.

Mustafa looks a handful too, and his performance for the reserves shows he knows where the net is....could be a real find!!