• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Before yet another manufactured opponent arrives,

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Salford traditionally a nowhere near league, non-league club where they will eventually return.

Here's my take on the latest reshuffle. First, second and third Tranmere have a No 9 it was pure suicide to play all season without someone with a physical presence upfront. What's more Hemmings was the only qualified professional league forward with a reasonable prospect of being fit. Now he has the probably inferior footballer but possibly the more adept finisher Dennis as competition/sharing the role over 90 mins. The ever green Jennings at a push is capable of both front roles, I despise three up at this level it pushes both receivers too wide, and can play his optimal role behind the strikers.
The modern Tranmere malaise of volumes of unproven players persists however, Taylor, Saunders and Jolley fulfil a role between them. Dawes needs to make a decision an ship one out on loan. The strike force is now functional, I would look for a Norris substitution cover on loan a physical presence whose mother club know would get minutes every week. Both strikers must not play all 90, playing one for the entire first six months must be put into the museum!!
Hendry and Morris are shoe ins, the more they play the better the outcomes. In keeping with Palios theorem, I would move O'Connor to CM in a three, there he will attract bids from bigger clubs, at full back he will just get a better offer next summer. Play your best in their best position and sell, what is not to like. Find a right back.
Unlike GR I have made my mind up on Leake, he has a far better positional sense than Bristow but less pace and is as combative. He won't make it at Hull but will suffice here.
Having suffered the bizarre scene of playing a liability in goals to bring in good money, Tranmere have a second Murphy and one with a some legs left to go. Having said that Joe could remain a while yet as a false two just covering the remaining minutes before a loan arrives.
On the subject of false players, I understand TRFC gave contracts to players who previously would not have made a 2nd year YTS because of some home gown quota. As they languish in deep non-league, we need to wise up we have received equally over hyped payers from above.
Merrie, McAlear, Hughes, Jolley have talents but probably not equitable to making pro players in the main. Palios needs to account for the costs of Hockenhulls before crowing about the odd sale.
Hawkes remains a selling commodity but needs to convince me of his starting place which he doesn't currently.
Walker looks a bit a crock, in equine terms needs a lot of time to get fit before which he normally picks up a knock! Lewis is not my type of player but is a competent experienced pro preferred by all four recent bosses. I see a Foley closing out role for him moving forward.
The Norris factor exaggerates modest improvements overall but last season was tried with one hand behind your back.

Optimal side for me
Norris Hemmings
Jennings
Hendry O'Connor Morris
Leake Turnbull Davies AN other
McGee
Early days yet possibly dependent on whether in time you can pull back at the MKD's or Harrogate's do the same?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hemmings would be my last pick. He's finished now but might make a couple of pointless cup appearances. I also think O'Connor is fine at right back, after all this was his position early career. Hawkes also needs to feature for his goal threat if nothing else.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would be surprised if Hemmings is still with us once the window shuts.
Taylor looks to be a star in the making with pace good movement and confidence in front of goal.