• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Awaydays by Kevin Sampson

smilingmart

While I was away on holdiay in Paris last week I really enjoyed reading 'Awaydays.' It struck a real chord with me. The main character's mum died of cancer, he's a tranmere fan, and he's lived on the wirral all his life.

I was just wondering if anyone has read it and if so, did you enjoy it as much as me?

Personally I think it's 'Fever Pitch' by Nick Hornby but for Rovers followers, especially the younger ones.

I'm just so pleased that such a book exists.

P

PaulCook'sMagicLeftFoot

Each to their own like, but it's one of the worst books i've ever read.

B

Banana Army

Yeh he took my dad to his first ever Rovers match. They were mates from school. So its him ive really got to thank (yes im thanking a violent thug) for my support of the rovers

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I've read it, and besides the fact that it frequently descends into complete fantasy it's alright I suppose. I've read worse books, but I've also read considerably better. If you're looking for something that is the male equivalent of a woman's trashy novel then this is it - switch brain off before you bother reading it.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
never read them so i cant comment :D

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Haven't read them either... will look out for it.

og in oz

very funny book, but im sure it was meant to be serious.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
read both of them and cant really say either is better than the other
if i had to chose it would be awaydays. just.

A

AndyRoo16

this is a book i would actually like to read!!!
:shock:
i have heard about it before through friend who tell me it is great for a trfc fan to read and mentions many local places.....
i am going to try and get my hands on this!

Ally

Player
Aldo
I'm surprised not more people have read this. It's alright, but I think I like it more because it's actually about a Tranmere fan, rather than because it's a good, well-written book.

I agree with NBDH, it does get a bit much at times, but it is fiction so you can let him off some over-inflated poetic license.

Sampson's a Liverpool fan, but I think he lives in Oxton...

B

Banana Army

Certainly used to be a rovers fan. Like i said took me dad to his first tranmere game

M

mikeo32

Its a great book.

Kevin Sampson was actually in our college today, giving a talk to english students. I attended this and it was interesting in what he has to say about Tranmere. He mentioned that he chose Tranmere even though he is a Liverpool fan, it gives a good description of the wirral as a whole. It shows Tranmere fans as hooligans, giving us a bad rep but still a great read.

Very recomended to everybody, if your a fan of "football factory" and "green street" you will love this!!!

My friend (andyroo16) also mentioned to Kevin that people of whitereview seem supportive of the book when he was talking about what Tranmere fans think of it, Apparently it was mentioned in a programme when the book was first published telling tranmere fans not to buy it because of the bad rep it gave us and may encourage fans to do what is in the book. But obviously this got more people to buy the book.

Well worth reading, i can admit i don't enjoy reading but its an excellent book!!!

F

FREELIBRARY

It's pretty embarrasing how little some of you know about the Rovers history TBH!(or choose to pretend did not happen?)

Weather you like it or not TRFC had one of the most violent little followings in the late 70s early 80s (did none of you go then?) and this book although mixed with fiction is based on REAL lads from Birkenhead as are many of the 'disgused' events in the book.

The book prooved so popular (and is widly acclaimed up and down the country) that it's now just finished being made into a film by C4! (If you doubt this vist www.80scasuals.co.uk and click on 'ear to the ground').

Although this heritage may not sit comfortably with most on here I still struggle to see why most try to kid themselves this didn't happen (does the 'wrexham 35' a few years back jog any memories?).