• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Antony Kay Fund

Player
Goodison
Hi everyone, a group of supporters has come up with the idea of a supporters fund to pay Kay's wages for a new contract. The idea is that you pay £1 a week - £52 pounds for a year.

I just posted this to see if anyone thought this would be a good idea and if anyone would be willing to participate. I know a lot of people probably won't be able to afford this at the moment but you might know a supporter who can.

The supporters involved are currently talking to the club and have talked to several board members. The supporters have also contacted local newspapers so there may been something about it in one or more of the papers soon.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions so I can pass them onto the organisers. Thanks for reading.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
This is pretty embarassing. I can afford £52. I don't want to give it to Tony Kay though. If he wants to go and we can't afford him then that's that.

I would speculate that Kay would probably be on at least a grand more than we could afford to offer. So you'd need 1000 people to each give £1 a week.

He's not worth the money. He's not even that good. We buy shirts and season tickets, for me it's more an act out of principle to refuse to participate.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm with SonkORLY on this. Is this for real? If the greedy sod wants more than the club can afford well then it's time to say goodbye. I'm sure he'll find a club daft enough to pay what he's asking for. I certainly wont be participating. I already give the club a few hundred a year in terms of season ticket, sponsorship, merchandise etc..

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I doubt the problem is that Kay is after much more.

However I am certain he's after more than we are offering.

The club will be offering everyone a pay cut.

Goodison's signed up for two years because he was prepared to take the cut. Antony Kay is a good player in this league who can realistically expect to get paid as much as he did with us this season, probably with a small increase on the back of being consistently available for selection. To play 53 games in a season is no mean feat, he also scored 12 goals along the way, and took over as team captain.

If Kay goes, which looks likely since the club is skint... he was a key player for us, and did us proud in his time at the club. If only all players were as dedicated as he has been.

Player
John Aldridge
I think it was just before the away game at Walsall, Ronnie Moore was on Talksport being interviewed and he said there were a host of championship clubs enquiring about A.Kay and it looked very likely he'd not be there next season.

You cant blame him if he joins a championship club surely?

How many teams in the english leagues have a non forward as their leading goalscorer????

Player
Liam Palmer
Yep, ££££££ is the long-and-short of it. Sad, we gave him a chance to rehabilitate himself, made him club captain and then off he goes first chance. I think he's been an effective player for us, but I'd much rather put into a fund to keep Steve Jennings, as he'll be a lot harder to replace if he goes (and from what I'm hearing, that's not 100%).

Chris

Player
Bas Savage
I agree with Tartantranmere64, Kay has been a good player for us this season but if we can only afford to keep one of our two central midfielders from this season I would prefer Jennings to stay, he is more consistent and would be a bigger loss to the team if he departed.

I dont think the idea of fans contributing to a players wages to necessarily be a bad one. We're all aware that the club has to tighten its budgets for next season and cant financially compete with Championship clubs or even the bigger clubs in our league like Huddersfield. If some of our fans want to help and are prepared to put any amount of money into a fund to contribute to a key players wages then I think thats a great gesture and totally up to them. While I doubt that our fans could generate enough funds to solely pay Kay or Jenno's wages, if enough people put into a fund then it could provide the club with a bit of extra cash to offer better terms to a key player on top of the clubs original contract offer.

With that though I heard on the news that Peterborough weren't even prepared to pay Kay's wage demands, and Tranmere shouldnt be held to ransom to keep him even if they did receive extra funds from fans. I would much rather pay into a fund to keep jenno, as he is the key player to resign.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Yep, ££££££ is the long-and-short of it. Sad, we gave him a chance to rehabilitate himself, made him club captain and then off he goes first chance.

Can't blame him at all. If I was offered a 33% pay rise to move jobs I'd take it any day of the week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can't blame him at all. If I was offered a 33% pay rise to move jobs I'd take it any day of the week.
Of course that goes without saying. I'm sure 99% of us would, but you know this doesn't apply to our players ;-) [-(

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
He's not worth the money. He's not even that good. We buy shirts and season tickets, for me it's more an act out of principle to refuse to participate.

How good or bad a player is subjecive so the problem with collecting on the basis of it's for this player or that player is not everyone will want to contribute. It's not the best of ideas.

Now, something I WOULD be prepared to sling some cash at would be an initiative by the supporters trust, they've had one or two before... fund raising that have bought boots for the kids teams and some kind of physio contraption for Les Parry to use on the players. Lessening those kind of minor financial burdens on the club can have a significant and lasting impact.

So to bring this thread back to roverstillidie's original post... I commend the desire to do something to help the club, but I think the best way to go about it is to get in touch with the supporter's trust, I'm sure they would love fresh ideas and people able to give of their time.

JFahey87

Player
antony kay
AK would join 'Uddersfield for geographical reasons i.e. being closer to Barnsley, rather than the money.

Although, it would be great to see him back in The Championship he seems to be one of your best players so I hope you keep hold of him.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Would like him to stay cos he's been a good player but if he wants to leave then so be it. No player is bigger than the club, and for hell I'm not going to put hard earned money I get to pay for someone who earns considerably more to stay at the club. Whatever the club is offering him won't exactly be peanuts, and us fans pay enough through merchandise, season tickets and the like.