• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accrington Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, the games are coming thick and fast this week.
Next up, Accrington Stanley.

This is the first round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy played at Prenton Park. I can't see many turning up to see this one, but I've missed a few games so I'll be going to this.

As in previous seasons, due to the expected attendance for this fixture, only the following stands will be open: Main Stand, Paddocks and the first ten rows of the Lower Kop. Visiting supporters will be situated in the Johnny King Stand.

Adults will be admitted to the Accrington Stanley game for just £7, with all concessions - Seniors (60+), Young Persons (17-22) and Juniors only £3.

In addition, full paying Adults purchasing match tickets from the Ticket Office or Club Shop will be entitled to one free Junior ticket. This offer applies to stand tickets, not executive suites.

Dont forget, kick off is at 7pm!

Onto the game then.
Will Ronnie revert back to the dreaded 4-3-3 system? Or will he stick with the winning 4-4-2? Does anyone even care about this competition? :-s

Player
Morrisey
I think Ronnie will start with the 4-3-3 but if things don't go well will go to 4-4-2. Would like to see us play a strong team and take this very seriously because there is a trip to Wembley up for grabs after all. It would be good to see the likes of Greenacre, Shuker and Barnett playing because they will be needing to really impress and if say Greenacre got a couple or assisted well then he could get his place back.

I also think we need to keep Kay in midfield but see who will partner Chorley at CB on Friday. I would like to see Antwi there if he is fit.

Coyne
Edds Antwi Chorley Taylor
Shuker (perhaps starting in a front three) Barnett Kay Sonko
Savage Greenacre

Subs: Achto, Jennings, Curran, Gornell, Holmes

Although it is important I think there does need to be some emphasis on Friday's game in that we need to see what works in Goodison's absense. I don't think Kay and Chorley have performed well together and I also think Kay is invaluable in midfield. I would also like to see Gornell and Curran together, even if it is only for ten minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh, I didnt realise Goodison would be missing tomorrow's game as well! OK, so Ronnie's got a few decisions to make in defence. I think we'll see Waterfall take the place of Goodison alongside Chorley. Edds and Antwi are out, so Ryan Shotton can slot into the right back position, leaving Kay in midfield where he's best.

Player
Goodison
We should win this game based on Saturday's performance but this a league 2 side and Tranmere - never a good combination!

The Team I would like to see:
Achterberg

Holmes Kay Waterfall Taylor

Barnett Jennings O'Callaghan Sonko

Savage Curran

Subs: Coyne, Shotton, Shuker, Greenacre, Henry

I would move Kay back to defence because without him and Goodison it could be very weak and I wouldn't put Chorley with him because we all not what happens then! I wouldn't play Waterfall and Chorley because there too similar and they need someone a bit more mobile like Kay alongside. Barnett could have a free role on the right wing so he could venture into the middle leaving Holmes to provide the width and show us if he's any good. O'Callaghan is apparently short of match fitness so this would be a good game to play him in as well. I would leave Chorley out because the last thing we need is another centre back out for Saturday!

Antwi, Edds and Goodison are all unavalible. Antwi and Edds are injured.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just read the link from The Rovers and Ronnie doesn't mention at all considering Danny Holmes at right-back, is he out injured or just totally out of favour?

Think it will have to be 4-3-3, as I wouldn't start with Shuker after Saturday, he clearly isn't match fit. I think Greenacre should be given a start, probably at the expense of Curran, though Craig should start for the Oldham game. I'd hope Barnett is given an opportunity too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This might be a good time to play Shuker if he needs match fitness. On paper, it's one of the easier games we've got and might get his fitness levels up a bit. If he's useless, take him off after 45. Him and Sonko on the wings I'd like to see for this one. Like you say Boz, I wouldn't mind seeing Greenacre either, again, will boost his fitness levels and will give him a game, something he's been missing out on recently.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
This is a game to take seriously but at the same time a chance to try 1 or 2 things and to see 1 or 2 younger players imo. But it's very important to try and get through, as Ronnie says, a day out a Wembley up for grabs, a very special occasion that'd be.

I'd go for the following team:

Coyne

Shotton, Waterfall, Chorley, Andy Taylor

Shuker, Jennings, Kay, Sonko

Savage, Curran.

Subs: Achterberg, Holmes, Barnett, Greenacre, Moore.

Player
Liam Palmer
I think Ronnie will start with the 4-3-3 but if things don't go well will go to 4-4-2. Would like to see us play a strong team and take this very seriously because there is a trip to Wembley up for grabs after all. It would be good to see the likes of Greenacre, Shuker and Barnett playing because they will be needing to really impress and if say Greenacre got a couple or assisted well then he could get his place back.

I also think we need to keep Kay in midfield but see who will partner Chorley at CB on Friday. I would like to see Antwi there if he is fit.

Coyne
Edds Antwi Chorley Taylor
Shuker (perhaps starting in a front three) Barnett Kay Sonko
Savage Greenacre

Subs: Achto, Jennings, Curran, Gornell, Holmes

Although it is important I think there does need to be some emphasis on Friday's game in that we need to see what works in Goodison's absense. I don't think Kay and Chorley have performed well together and I also think Kay is invaluable in midfield. I would also like to see Gornell and Curran together, even if it is only for ten minutes.

Friday's game?

Player
Goodison
Please not 4-3-3 :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I wouldn't drop Curran, he has a very good game, scores a goal and then gets left out?! Thats just daft.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, you shouldnt drop your goalscorers, but look at this like the big teams look at the cup games. Just play your reserves. lol

TT64: He must be getting mixed up with the game on 26th.

I have a horrible feeling this game is going to be dire, like it was last season when the mighty Morecambe, who actually deserved the win, knocked us out!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Please not 4-3-3 :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I wouldn't drop Curran, he has a very good game, scores a goal and then gets left out?! Thats just daft.

It would be resting him, in order to establish Greenacre's match fitness. I don't think Chris and Craig work together as a pair, though both of them with Bas is a viable option in a 4-3-3. We've not got a well-balanced squad, a glut of strikers & central defenders, yet a shortage of wide players. A match like this lets some of those on the fringes of the team get a game, without totally weakening the side. That said, think Ronnie likely to start with Curran in any event.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Attack unchanged. O'Callaghan comes back in midfield, while Waterfall and Shotton start at the back. Barnett & Creswell on the bench, no sign of Danny Holmes. Similar formation to Saturday, lets hope for similar result.

Status
Not open for further replies.