• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 3 -1 Norwich....a night to remember

Player
steve coppell
Just when I doubted our chances of survival we manage to pull off this result. A Night to Remember for all who saw it. To quote the BBC 'the officials had a lively night to say the least' ....my feeling is now we need 9 points from our remaining games to stay up. With fighting spirit like this, I think we can do it

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just when I doubted our chances of survival we manage to pull off this result. A Night to Remember for all who saw it. To quote the BBC 'the officials had a lively night to say the least' ....my feeling is now we need 9 points from our remaining games to stay up. With fighting spirit like this, I think we can do it
Nobody predicted this one! Yes, we can do it. But I think it will take more than 50 points to stay up this year. All the teams around us are picking up points. Fortunately, a few of them are playing each other over the weekend.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Brilliant game and a remarkable opening. Great effort from the lads and that's the type of fight we want to see.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Thought the lads did great !
I exception that sumed up our season luke daniels really looked low on confidence !
I f it was,nt for godison and co it might have been a different story !

Player
Clint Hill
if or when we stay up ian thomas moore has to become a tranmere legend ,not always been his biggest fan but with out his goals not sure were they would have come from.

Player
steve coppell
Cowsheds, you may be right about the 50 points....however, I've just gone through the final fixtures for the season – in order without being conscious of how Tranmere would survive (eg no bias) – and I calculate the bottom eight will take so many points off each other 48 will be safety....see elsewhere on this forum for details ...crystal ball gazing in 'general chat'...happily this detailed prediction sees us stay up in, ahem, 20th place. Still, it's safety and the win v Norwich is as important as all the rest...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
1 player sent off, 1 manager sent off, 2 penalties, 4 goals, 30 shots. Tonight was a really entertaining spectacle.

I think Norwich are milking the whole referee thing a little bit; their keeper getting sent off and giving us the oppertunity to go 2-0 up completely changed the game. First an appauling backpass, then an appauling decision by their keeper to bring down ITM. Whose fault was that? We were far from clinical and on another night could have scored 4 or 5 quite easily. And Lambert can **** off moaning about the first penalty not being hand-ball; just watched it on tv, it was. And while Curran's goal was a bit of a joke, theirs looked pretty debateable too.

Anyway, how good was ITM tonight? Good job BootleRover isn't our manager eh? Really unlucky not to get a hattrick. Everyone put in a good shift, Broomes was superb down the right and even managed a few stepovers as he bombed forward time and time again; better than any performance I've seen Logan put in this year actually. Goodison was superb, McCready very solid, Curran a constant threat and won so many headers. Left-back looked a bit suspect at times, Taylor's passing is still woeful but as always made up for it with a really battling display.

Superb result. Those 3 points might come in handy at the end of the year.

And Paul Mclaren's out for the next 2 games!!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I exception that sumed up our season luke daniels really looked low on confidence !
I f it was,nt for godison and co it might have been a different story !

Agreed there, Luke had a poor game, came out for a few crosses and missed them, then when the ball fizzed across the 6 yard box on occasion he stood stiff on his line. Could have been different but thankfully not!

Got home and switched on sky sports news and all they were going on about was the ref. Yeah he was cr@p and the first penalty was a bit iffy, the third goal looked like handball by Curran, but their goal the ball went out (I think) and it detracted from what was a really good performance by Tranmere. We had more shots on goal than the rest of the season put together! It was great to see, a very entertaining game which we deserved to win.

If we can show that fighting spirit and desire to win, we CAN stay up, need to prodce again on Monday at the dreaded home of Swindon Town, if we're getting beat, can someone turn out the lights....:whistle:

Player
Liam Palmer
Don't worry, the lights are always out in Swindon already anyway!

Thought last night was a really gritty and at times skillful performance. Ok, the ref did us a favour with one goal, but the other two were pens and the keeper had to go. Get over it Lambert. We've had NOTHING all season from refs, so it was nice to get something! We played well, we deserved to win, no matter how many players they had on the pitch.

Can't really add much except one funny incident you might have missed when Les was over on the half way line treating Ben Gordon in the second half: some guy shouts "get it sorted, Les". Les just turned round and rolled his eyes. Everyone round us cracked up laughing. What does he want Les to sort out? the country's economic crisis? world hunger and poverty? the AIDS pandemic? the weather? I mean, we're 3-1 up on the league leaders, playing well, creating chances. I know it's not perfect but give us a break. Some fans give fans a bad name!

Player
Goodison
Can't really add much except one funny incident you might have missed when Les was over on the half way line treating Ben Gordon in the second half: some guy shouts "get it sorted, Les". Les just turned round and rolled his eyes. Everyone round us cracked up laughing. What does he want Les to sort out? the country's economic crisis? world hunger and poverty? the AIDS pandemic? the weather? I mean, we're 3-1 up on the league leaders, playing well, creating chances. I know it's not perfect but give us a break. Some fans give fans a bad name!

Are you sure the person wasn't referring to the injured player?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko

Yeah, that was ace, haha.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still can't quite believe that first half actually happened, and I'm talking about the quality of our performance, not the referee: it was absolutely magnificent, and a total transformation from six days ago.

The Norwich complaints about the ref are typical 'big club' sour grapes, as the only incorrect decision was for our third goal. I notice Lambert and their fans have also conveniently forgotten the dodgy penalty that gave them a thoroughly undeserved three points at Carrow Road in November: what goes around comes around, and in the two matches against Norwich this season, we were the better side on both occasions.

I couldn't pick an outfield player who had a poor game last night, but the standouts for me were Moore and Goodison who were inspired all night.

A real team effort

Fulsome praise to all the team after putting in a non stop battling performance for the whole game. They thoroughly deserved and earned this victory.
Lamberts and Norwich complaints were a sad reflection on them after the season they have enjoyed so far. Yes the ref got a couple of things wrong and each side could of had a goal chalked off for handball, but so what, Rovers were worthy winners.

Sonko....picky picky little chap.....quite a while ago I praised ITM for his much improved all round efforts and I am firmly of the opinion he now merits his place for his workrate and his teamplay - not evident earlier in the season.
And I'd praised him well before the Norwich game.
With the benefit of hindsight we are all wise men, perhaps, but sadly not yourself I fear.
I have no wish to manage and content myself with the team as long as they are trying to give it their all, Win, lose or draw.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with much of what's been written. SonkORLY? is right, the pivotal moment was their keeper bringing ITM down conceding the 2nd penalty and getting himself sent off. If he'd pulled out of the challenge, even if Ian had gone on to score, an 11-man Norwich certainly had the capacity to get back into it. Paul Lambert should be looking closer to home instead of blaming the ref.

I didn't think Daniels was that bad, he did come out for the ball a lot and get exposed, but his kicking was better than usual and I don't think any blame could attach for their goal.

Team selection had a couple of surprises. I wasn't expecting Ben Gordon to keep his place, as Zoum was available again. He wasn't as bad as expected, having read the Brighton reports, but especially after Norwich were down to 10, might we have benefited from Bakayogo's greater attacking prowess? Resting/dropping Savage was probably the right move as the Curran/ITM/Gornell trio worked really hard up front. No place on the bench for Alan Mahon???

It was a shame that only 6.2k were in attendance for such a good performance, even Exeter v Colchester pulled in more.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Fulsome praise to all the team after putting in a non stop battling performance for the whole game. They thoroughly deserved and earned this victory.
Lamberts and Norwich complaints were a sad reflection on them after the season they have enjoyed so far. Yes the ref got a couple of things wrong and each side could of had a goal chalked off for handball, but so what, Rovers were worthy winners.

Sonko....picky picky little chap.....quite a while ago I praised ITM for his much improved all round efforts and I am firmly of the opinion he now merits his place for his workrate and his teamplay - not evident earlier in the season.
And I'd praised him well before the Norwich game.
With the benefit of hindsight we are all wise men, perhaps, but sadly not yourself I fear.
I have no wish to manage and content myself with the team as long as they are trying to give it their all, Win, lose or draw.

I'm only on the wind up, had to bring it up though :-D

Geriant Williams sacked at Orient, it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

No fool like ....

I consider myself as wound up and a sucker to boot, happier though after the Norwich win, and not overly concerned with the loss today. 3 points out of the 2 holiday fixtures is far more than we could have expected.

Our fate remains in our own hands and we have given ourselves a good chance to pull off the escape.