• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-2 Hereford

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
A game we should have won with the chances we had. Although Hereford took the lead in 65th minute. Jennings equalised on 75th only for us to give it away straight away. But thankfully Taylor equalised again straight away. 3 goals in 3 minutes. A game we should have won but having been behind twice i'm glad we're still in it. It'll be tough at Hereford on a tuesday night though!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
A "quick" player-by-player, marks out of ten. Coyne 8, made two great saves, neither of the goals his fault. Although wasn't as vocal at times as he should have been. Stockdale 6, lost concentration and at fault for gifting them the ball from our free kick for their second. A Taylor 7, too good for us in many ways but still learning and is caught out of position too easily. Chorley 7 and Kay 7, both are steady defenders although it was clear they need to play together more if a true understanding is to be built. McLaren 9 great passing today and also a fantastic work rate, hardly put a foot wrong but doens't get man of the match because I have to give Jennings 10. Spectacular all game and also scored one, doesn't matter how, but he did. Sherriff 5, the poor lad just isn't a midfielder, and today he had a real howler. Curran 6 as right midfielder and 8 as centre forward for the last 20 mins. On as replacement right wing gets Mike Jones 9, crisp passing and movement, knew what he was doing, made those around him play better (triangles!) and was prepared to go to the by-line. The interplay on his wing made us goals when we desperately needed them. Zola 2, I'm being kind giving him a two, which he gets because he did manage to get himself into some good positions a couple of times or so, only to completely and hopelessly screw them all up worse than a grannie with a zimmer. Then spat his dummy out and selfishly took several minutes dragging his feet off the pitch when subbed, just as we're trying to get back into the game. Disgrace. Dock his wages, for the performance and the behaviour. G Taylor 7, worked hard with his back to goal and the attentions of a centre half all game - did his job and brought people into the game, not his fault that his strike partner today was useless. Plus he scored, which is something of a commodity at Prenton Park just at the moment.

I'll score the manager too, Ronnie 8, hindsight tells us he made the right sub at just about the right time although I personally would have hoped Zola would have come off earlier. Forget knocking confidence by taking off early, he must have been knocking his own confidence, it was that bad. I don't think I would have picked a much different team than the one we started with, considering the injuries we have. Certain players let Ronnie down today. They let us down today. I hope they can make amends in the replay.

Let's be hopeful about the fact that the lads did come back twice from a goal behind, and amazingly didn't concede at the death, as we have been known to.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Not so sure about your ratings there but hey ...

Was an exciting end-to-end third round cup tie to tell those who think the beauty of the FA Cup is dead to think again. Although my allegiance being for Tranmere and it being a bit frustrating at times (quite often actually), gotta say it was a terrific game of football. Hereford are a decent looking side and although i thought we gave them a bit too much time and sapce, they played it around nicely.

As for Rovers, well when will we be clinical in front of goal. Creating chances which is great but we need someone who is going to be banging them in regularly. Greenacre would be one, although not having his best season, but how many chances did Zola have today and spurn them all??? Oh dear oh dear ... Change that chant from used to be ***** to still is please someone:roll:

As for the defence, well... I have my theory on this. Danny Coyne does not command his box and organise the back four. Goodi does this quite well, but without him, we seem to be lost. Countless times balls went into our box today and Danny was rooted to the line and players stood still. I'd like him to command the box more and take crosses to relieve any danger. Communication seems to be non-existant with our defence and this needs to change and fast, otherwise we'll continue leaking goals left right and centre.

Well, a replay better than a defeat today but another game and with our small squad already looking threadbare we could have done without it but it's what we have so let's look forward to it. We'll need to defend well, but if we continue to play and attack as we have been the last couple of weeks, there's no reason whatsoever to suggest we can't progress to round 4. Come on you whites!!!=D>

ps. Just read the reports on Setanta website, found it funny, never seen the media call us the "Super Whites" before! lol, sign up to Setanta everyone! lol ...
http://www.setantasports.com/en/Spo.../?facets/sport-space/northern-ireland-locale/

Player
Goodison
Player Ratings:

Coyne 6 ,
made some good saves but didnt command his defence well enough and had some mix ups with Chorley. Couldn't be blamed for either goal. Stockdale 7, solid performance play some decent passes to Curran and co. Went missing for there second. Kay 6, poor free kick for there second goal and ran into Chorley during the build up to there first goal, didn't look is usual self and needs to develop an understanding with Chorley. Chorley 8, won lots of a header and made some great last ditch tackles, recovered well when caught out of position. Taylor 7, made some good attacking runs and was fairly solid. Curran 7, did ok at right midfield put in some decent crosses but was understandbley much better when put up front and caused a bit of chaos. Jennings 10, best player on the pitch today, scored a goal broke up countless Hereford attacks, tracked back and made some decent passes. Mclaren 9, had a very good game got backwards and forwards, set up Taylors goal and Zola should have scored from his pass. Sherriff 5, A bit anonymous and wasnt quite at the races today would have replaced him with Tremarco. Zola 3, A dire performance from Calvin today, dreadful finishing, poor passing, no pace, no strength. Didn't look fit. Terrible attitude when been subbed off - all the hereford players were quicker and if anything they would want to go off slower then him. Should be ashmed of himself for that. Taylor 7, brave header for his goal and won headers. But I don't think he should become a regular fixture in the team as he encourages too much hoof and the team play worse. Jones 8, came on and changed the flow of the game, set up Jennings goal and looked very good. There is hope after Shuker afterall! Needs a run in the first team on the right wing.

A very entertaining match today, great end to end stuff. Rovers had chances but almost all of them fell to the awful Zola. His finishing was atrocious, perhaps Tranmere should compile a dvd of zola's misses - there must be hundreds if not thousands. When mclaren put zola through, Curran or Greenacre (even on current form) would have scored. However despite this, I would give him a chance of retribution against Orient alongside Curran, as although Taylor did well - he makes the team play worse (hoof) when he plays lots of games like earlier on in the season. Their two goals were a defensive shambles the first a great finish but only after Kay and Chorley had poleaxed each other and a host of rovers players chose not to clear it. The second was a terrible free kick from Kay and Hereford duly scored. I agree with SCooperSomersaults on the reason why our defence is so poor. Coyne never comes off his line and seems to have lost his voice - a return of Achterberg? Hereford looked a tidy side but I think they could be quite beaten if we get round the back of there defence because thats what caused them problems today. Where a league above Hereford and we need to go there and do what we did to Bradford!

Will there be free coaches again?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Overall, I'm disapppinted. We should have finished Hereford off in the first half. They sat back, allowed Tranmere to attack them, yet we couldn't put the ball in the net.

I wasn't overly impressed with Hereford. They had a much better second half, but we shout ourselves in the foot. A combination of terrible finishing and poor defending was to blame.

I was very pleased to see Curran making a start and on the wing too, like I had mentioned a few days ago. Ronnie's obviously still reading the forums! :lol:

And he had a great game.
Shame we was on the wing though, he's got a wicked shot and would really like to have seen him playing the central striking role, but can't complain to much, at least he was playing and did manage to get a few shots in. Better than warming the bench.

Zola was simply awful today, he just had a really bad game. It's such a shame as I thought he'd been making good progress lately. I wanted him to do so much better, but it just wasn't happening. His shooting was awful, and his passing just as bad.

My thoery on this is because he was playing lower quality opposition thus he had more time on the ball. Giving Zola time on the all is bad because then he has to think what to do with it, and this is his main weakness. He fumbles around and makes mistakes. He's more of an impulse player.

But it was quite an entertaining game and I've now seen 11 goals in two games, so I can't say I haven't been entertained.

I think we'll win the replay, we just need to be more clinical in front of goal. Hopefully Greenacre will be back by then.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought it was a decent game, Rovers had the best of the 1st half, but only Craig Curran, neglecting his wing role to show what a decent striker he can be actually tested their keeper. Second half was end to end, tho' didn't think we'd get back into it having conceded the second, so will accept the replay.

Mostly agree with the ratings above except.

Chorley, great with last ditch tackles, but on those occasions when he had time on the ball did more hoofing than most. Also, think he was captain for the day(?), if so he should take responsibility for organising the defence if Coyne didn't fancy it. We do seem to miss Goodison.

Personally thought McLaren was more influential than Jennings, although both had decent games.

Zola looked knackered in the first half, couldn't run after balls he'd normally be chasing down. Improved after the break. He should have done better with the McLaren pass to leave him 1 on 1 with the goalie, but the second effort brought a decent save out of Brown and at least he was in the right place to get the chances.

Ronnie should have brought on Tremarco for Sherriff, who seems to be another of the untouchables.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Boz, Chorley was indeed skipper for the day. He's our lad (sponsored by the site) and I don't think he played that badly. He's not a ball playing centre half ala Beckenbauer, he's a big lad to clear headers and win balls by trade and that's what he's in there for. But Yes, would hope he could organise the back 4 and keeper to play a more disciplined game so we can eradicate some of these mistakes that are costing us goals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, I'm glad you mentioned Sherriff in there as being one of the untouchables. I said only a week or so again that I don't think he's been playing too well recently, in fact, I almost feel like he's been drifting in and out of games and not making much of an impact. Since moving up the field to cover the left side, he looks out of place, and even he isn't entirely sure where he's playing.

He's more effective at the back.
I think though being one of the few left sided players, he has the luxury of almost certain inclusion in the squad. Shame really, as he's been average for weeks now and it seems to go un-noticed.