• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-0 Scunthorpe

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Goals from Sonko just before half time and Shotton in the 2nd half were enough against a decent Scunthorpe side by the sound of things. We had Coyne to thank for a couple of top saves though and they also hit the post. Great win though and with another couple of big games coming up in the next few weeks lets hope we go on a winning run.

Over to anyone who went now to give a more detailed report...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well, well, well...

I really didn't think we'd get anything tonight, but I thought we put in a very solid performance and rode a little bit of luck in what was in all honesty a very even game.

Neither team created many clear oppertunities and it's probably fair to say that the two best chances of the game were both badly wasted; Gornell firing an awkward volley high and wide when through on goal in the 1st half, outshone only by one of their strikers bizarrely putting the ball several yards over the bar despite being less than several yards from goal.

Both teams battled hard and defended very well. As far as our lads were concerned, I thought Bas was brilliant tonight, and worked really hard closing down from the front, constantly putting their defence under pressure to play the ball early. Elsewhere, Goodison had a near faultless game, and Sonko - without being incredible - chipped in with an important goal and put in one of his better performances after a stuttering start to life at the club.

Gornell was relativley quiet but certainly didn't look out of his depth against a very good side. Bas appeared greatful to have someone alongside him, and I think I'm converted to the idea of playing 4-4-2 home and away. Perhaps now you can all stop bullying me and we can all get along in blissful agreement regarding our tactical preferences O:)

Player
Goodison
A very good performance against a suprisingly average looking Scunthorpe side. Goodison and Gornell both made unexpected starts, the former having an excellent game. Gornell also did well but faded a bit in the second half but he looks like a pretty good player.

Rovers dominated most of the first half, they didn't have as many clear cut oppurtinities as they did against Southend but they got a goal had a few half chances and restricted Scunthorpe to few long range pop shots. Sonko's goal was good, I think it was Savage that played him in, the offside Gornell decided not to go for it and Sonko chipped it over former Rover Joe Murphy and the ball bounced into the net, just beyond the desparing Scunthorpe defender.

In the second half Scunthorpe piled on the pressure in the first 15 minutes but magnificent defending from Goodison, who was a times a one man defence, and some excellent Coyne saves kept them out, Taylor also made several key clearences. Although Rovers took their foot off the gas a bit they always looked threatning and Shotton sealed the match with his goal. Shotton took a throw in to Moore who played it back to him, Shotton than cut inside, shot against Murphy and then hit the rebound into the net - beating Murphy at his near post. The rest of the match was quite easy with Savage doing some excellent pieces of skill.

The referee was awful, constantly blowing his wistle and giving none existent fouls - both sets of fans were on his back!

Match Ratings:

Coyne 7: Made two excellent saves in the 2nd half to keep Rovers 1-0 up
Shotton 6: Did well with his goal and looked good going forward but was a bit suspect defensively
Chorley 4: His worst performance in a long time, kept losing his man leaving Goodison with two men to mark and kept giving the ball needlessly away
Goodison 9: Excellent at the heart of the Rovers defence, made lots of vital headers, tackles, blocks and clearences. He also did a great shimmy in the first half which sent the Scunny striker flying:lol:
Taylor 7: Very solid at the back and helped Goodison
Moore 5: Ineffective down the right hand side and failed to do much
Wilson 7: Linked up play quite well and got stuck in a bit
Kay 6: Solid enough but a bit slow getting back
Sonko 7: The best performance i've seen of him and caused lots of problems.
Gornell 7: Did well although he could have scored after Kay set him up. Looks promising.
Savage 8: Ran his socks off and linked up play very well.

Edds 6: Didnt have to do much but was solid enough
Barnett 6: Didnt really have chance to influence the game but kept the sides shape.

Man of the Match: Goodison, Savage ran him close but I feel Goodison's vital defending prevented any chance of a Scunthorpe come back, especially considering he was covering for the nearly absent Chorley.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I agree with every word RTID. I too was impressed with Wilson, he worked hard and rarely misplaced a pass.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There's no bullying here SonkORLY. Just persuasive arguments ;) Anyways, back to the game, I agree with you regarding the players assesments.

Bas was MOTM for me. Again, worked tirelessly, was all over the pitch, made it difficult to defend against and showed good vision and a delicate touch. Very impressed. My only criticism, again, he drifted out wide too often, whereas I hoped Moore and Sonko would fill these positions giving Bas more opportunity around the box.

Yep - I was convinced we were getting nothing from that game. But what surprised me most was the perofrmance of Scunthorpe. For a team in the top three, I wasn't particularly impressed.

Whether it was just a bad night for them, I'm not sure, but there problem was that they had no killer pass. They passed it around well, but most of the time didn't actually go anywhere with the ball. Coyne was hardly used in the first half and made a handful of good saves in the second half where we sat back far too deep and allowed The Irons to come at us.

But I'm not complaining, it was a welcome win and I was delighted with the result.
Not sure about Wilson in the centre, think he needs a few more games, but I was pleased to see Gornell given a chance. And like you say, he played quite well. He was a little bit out muscled by their centre back, but he faired well and showed good touches at times. Early days for him, but he looks promising. Shame he missed that great chance in the first half.

Also, Goodison was back. I was surprised but delighted to see him back in the squad. Had a solid game as per usual.

Finally, the ref. WTF?!?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I didn't see all that much in Sonko tonight. He hardly had a touch in the first half, well, apart from the goal and although had more of the ball in the second, felt he sat back too much and didn't give Savage enough support. I've only singled him out because you guys have given him a glowing report. I honestly didn't see it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
IMO his previous performances had been typified by poor decision making, a lack of composure in front of goal and perhaps a neglect of defensive responsability - none of these weaknesses were present in his performance today. Without being hugely involved in the game, he took his chance well and showed glimpses of being a threat; noteably his winding run right into their 6 yard box, and one or two tidy passages of play down the left hand side. I'm not saying he was amazing, but he certainly looked better than he has done previously - and no worse than Ian Moore has played this year. A performance to build on, perhaps. He looked tired as the second half worse to a close (I too noticed him sitting back when he should have been bombing on down the wing...) but hopefully a run of games will get him sharp, fit and firing on all cylinders.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A great result! The match stats show Scunny actually had more efforts on goal than Rovers, so good to come away with all 3 points. The one downer was an attendance of only 4.6k. In a game sandwiched between 2 distant aways and following on from the excellent attacking game v Southend, would have expected more through the turnstiles.

Player
Goodison
Did anyone else notice that Mick Horton and not Lorraine Rogers wrote the programme notes? She wasn't there last night and she hasnt been to the last few games. She is leaving at the end of the season but I wonder if she has already gone? Or is in the process of been replaced.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The one downer was an attendance of only 4.6k.
I know a few that chose to sit at home and watch Utd on TV instead. Sad, but true.. Midweek games are especially crippling in this regard.