• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-0 Cheltenham

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Two wins on the trot! And its Xmas too! We certainly are being spoilt aren't we!.. :-D

Hard game today. The weather didn't help though, awful conditions in the first half, glad it calmed down a bit in the second..

The lads played OK today. Not the best performance, but not the worst either. I thought Cheltenham who are struggling away from home, actually played quite well. They had a fair few chances still, and had they had anyone that could put the ball in the net, they may have came away with a point.

The first half was nothing much to shout about. Couple of half chances..
Second half was more entertaining, with good chances at both ends.

Just glad the lads came away with 3 points. The Carlisle game a few days ago was much easier than this one!

OK, I cannot end this post without the mention of Jennison. He had so much of the ball today, and must have wasted about 90% of it. Ronnie bangs on about him being young and learning, which is fair enough, but he's so frustrating to watch. He just carries the ball for far too long.

He needs to know when to pass! He had got himself into some great positions today and sadly wasted them all. His most notable, late on in the game when he set himself up in the penalty box, shot and missed! If he'd have looked up, he would have seen two players waiting for the ball in the box!

But to be fair to him, at least he gave effort. He had a good share of the ball, and maybe he needs these games to learn, but it doesn't take away from the fact that everyone was screaming for him to pass!

Can't complain to much though. Up to 9th now and only 2 points away from the play-offs. It's amazing what a consistent run can do! :roll: A point or more at Crewe would be great!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah not a great game but the result is all that matters and a win is great news. 2 wins in a row but we need to put 5 or 6 games unbeaten together and build on that if we can to get ourselves back up in contention.

Conditions were horrible. Windy, rainy and freezing cold! Not good to watch in! And made things difficult for the players too. But Tranmere were by far the better team, mainly due to a very poor Cheltenham side, but we played ok in spits and starts.

I can only remember 2 bits of quality really in the whole game. First the move that led to a lovely goal by Zola. Then that Jennison effort. The boy frustrates me so much. He gives it away a lot. He runs but has no end product. And after finally going on a lovely run at the end, all he had to do was hit the target from 6 yards! And he missed! Oh dear.

Anyway, 3 points and like Ian says we move up another place. Hopefully we can build on this and take ourselves a bit higher come May. Fingers crossed.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Not the best performance but 3 points is all that matters. Hopefully we can follow this up with a win at Crewe. We'd be moving up the table a bit if we can do that. Jennison will be a good player if he can find some end product. Great move for Zola's goal. The bright point of a match not helped by the weather!

S

Shawsie

Tranmere 1 Cheltenham 0

Couldn't agree more with the three of you. And hi there by the way! This is my first time on the White Review Forum.

I did feel really sorry for Chrissy Greenacre as this match progressed. He just wasn't getting the service he thrives on. His body language got more negative as the game wore on and I wasn't surprised he was subbed. I rate Greenacre very highly. Having Davies and Shukes in support at the start of the season Chrissy must have been backing himself to bag at least 20 goals this season. On current form he'll have to have some luck to turn things around - which I really hope he does. Now Shukes is out too Ronnie needs to ensure players like Jenisson (while we have him) are briefed to pick Greenacre out more often. Hopefully this will start at Crewe tomorrow! Chrissy to bag a brace!

Happy New Year :lol:

Shawsie

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Welcome aboard Shawsie! And I echo your sentiments about Greenacre. If we give him the right service he WILL score goals.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
My biggest problem with J M-Williams is that he's completely, totally, hopelessly one-footed. Yes it's his left foot so that can confuse weaker defenders, but the reason he's fluffed so many chances and the reason he never ever passes the way you'd expect to, the way the player's made the run for it ... is because he cannot kick the ball with his right. It's painfully obvious.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't think we were that much better than Cheltenham to be honest and then you look at where they are in the league...

Positives, the goal and some consistency from Zola. good keeping from Danny at the death. While I agree with the critics of Myrie-Williams, he was prepare to track back and tackle so not all bad for him, even if he missed a self-created sitter. Craig Curran got almost 20 minutes.

Negatives, an inability to keep hold of the ball, surrendering back to Cheltenham far too readily. Stockdale a particular culprit in this respect, though the central midfield weren't at their best. Perhaps a Chorley for Stockdale change could have tightened things up.