• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League 1 2013-2014

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My thoughts on the likely top and bottom sides for the coming season; it will be interesting to hear any other viewpoints on what looks like a tougher L1 than last year's.

Promotion Unlike last season, all of the sides who were relegated look capable of going straight back up and in Jackett, O'Driscoll and Ferguson they have managers familiar with the pitfalls at this level. I would also pitch Brentford in the top 6, they have good financial backing and seem capable of performing to last season's standard. Preston, with play-off guru Simon Grayson in charge also seem good for a top 6 spot. A number of other teams are in contention, although I reckon Sheffield United may regret opting for a rookie boss in David Weir...he'll probably turn out to be the next Sir Alex now I've written that:)

Relegation There are no obvious candidates for the drop, in contrast to last time, when Bury and Pompey looked out of it from the off. Shrewsbury seem favourites to go down, Walsall have lost 3 of their best players, Stevenage are likely to continue their struggles under the returning Westley, while Coventry's exile is likely to push them closer to the bottom. Carlisle and Colchester may be lurking down this end too.
Last year none of the promoted teams went straight back down again. I'm unsure they'll be as lucky this time round; Gillingham and Port Vale being more at risk than the promoted Yorkies.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
I think as Boz says will be tougher this year to get out, last year was the year to do it really, I don't think anyone could have predicted all 3 teams that went up last sesson before it kicked off.
Guess yo yo posh will be up and around the top Preston now they have a manager who knows how to get out the league and Bradford nearing top end rather than bottom, if wolves get their act together quickly they may be up there, Rotherham have ambition and nice ground but will they be good enough to get in play offs?
Think Swindle, Sheff U and MK will be settling for top 10
Going down I think the Gills, Port Vale, Colchester and Coventry as they don't know what they are doing!

But its all a guess who knows how it will pan it !!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Brentford have strengthened again and probably have the best squad in the division now. I think the three to go up will come from any one of the Bees and Wolves, Peterborough, Bristol City and Preston, with MK and Sheff Utd also challenging. Rotherham look the strongest of the promoted sides, although Bradford may be dark horses. Swindon appear to have shot their bolt. I think we will be comfortable and will probably finish in mid table again, although a play-off challenge is not out of the question.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With seven new teams every year and some others with new managers, it's no surprise L1 is the most difficult league to predict. One of the few teams with stability - manager and players - is Rovers, but I agree it will be tougher and I think we lost our chance last season. Ironically, I think we'll do worse but finish higher, if you see what I mean. We may flirt with the playoffs but finish about 8th.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
I agree with bring back the cowshed, so unpredictable with all the new teams and shuffling managers
Ronnie must be one of the longest serving league one managers this year!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we'll ever have a better first half to a season than last year but I hope our season is more stable. We went from hero to zero. Tail end of the season is usually the toughest with all the injuries and suspensions caught up over the course of the season, and out smallish squad may cause a problem again, but let's hope we can hover in and around the top ten and then who knows..

What's happening with Coventry this season? Aren't they playing their home games miles away?

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I don't think we'll ever have a better first half to a season than last year but I hope our season is more stable. We went from hero to zero. Tail end of the season is usually the toughest with all the injuries and suspensions caught up over the course of the season, and out smallish squad may cause a problem again, but let's hope we can hover in and around the top ten and then who knows..

What's happening with Coventry this season? Aren't they playing their home games miles away?

As a Coventry resident it's shocking what is happening to Cov. They will be playing their 'home' games in Northampton, which is a 68 mile round trip, they are also looking at a 15 point deduction due to ongoing problems with their creditors, namely, ACL, the owners of the Ricoh. Some of us may moan about PJ but you need to be careful what you wish for. Cov sold their ground but where did the money go? Not on players, not on success. At least Portsmouth had a couple of years in the top flight and a trophy to show for their financial blunders.

I had been expecting a last minute deal to be done that would see them return to the Ricoh, but given today's news regarding the points deduction this now seems less likely. I won't be making the trip to Northampton for Cov v Rovers this year.

Player
Goodison
For promotion I'm going to say Peterborough, Brentford and Bristol City. Relegation - Coventry, Colchester, Oldham and Carlisle.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Just lookin back through tables and its was only in 2009/10 that Norwich were champs of league one and Stockport bottom
The divide between them now must be the greatest divide ever achieved by two teams in 4 seasons!