• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

ALAN A'COURT DIES AGED 75

drwhoman

It has been announced that the ex Liverpool and England winger has died aged 75. When he finished at Liverpool around 63 he joined Tranmere and gave them several good seasons in which was a great era. Regular 10,000 crowds, lots of noise in the old cowshed stand and a team that could not stop scoring goals. In one season I think they notched over 100 - John Manning and Barry Dyson up front, sometimes with Charlie McDonnell (Charlie Mac), with Harry Leyland (ex Everton) and later Jim Coombes in goal, Eddie Stuart and Alan King in defence. Mandy Hill on the wing. Different times - the Chris Shuker of the era was a guy called Barrie Sinclair - I used to see him on the bus going to the game! And to think of some of the dross that is served up now. Still go the Rovers!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sad news, but this brings back happy memories of an age when Rovers had five forwards and all could score ten or more goals in a season. Dyson and Manning were a great partnership. Charlie Mac was a great character. How we could do with them now! By the time Alan A'Court arrived at PP he'd lost most of his speed, but he still had a tremendous shot. I remember him scoring on his debut at Edgeley Park with a fierce penalty kick. He rarely missed from the spot.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Not old enough to remember him unfortunately, but my dad talks fondly of him. Sad news of course. Our thoughts go out to his family.

drwhoman

The sad event inspired me to re-read Tranmere Rovers Football Club by Peter Bishop published by Tempus in 1998.The cowshed cost GBP1k in 1931 and much of the steel did actually come from a farm. The book brought back memories even before Alan A'Court - Dave Hickson, Ralph Gubbins (what a great name!) Robertson and Conroy the full backs - what a couple of cloggers they were! And afterwards, the great cup run in 68 beating First Division Huddersfield in the Third Round and Coventry in the 4th before losing at Everton in the 5th. I was there for the Huddersfield game - Ken Beamish put us 1 up before Frank Worthington (the Frank) equalised. With five minutes remaining Graham Williams, the little Welsh pocket rocket, got the ball 30 yards out on the left, cut inside, and blasted it into the top right hand corner. I was standing right behind it and watched it go all the way! Boy did we celebrate after that - happy days!