• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wycombe away

ADD

Player
Norwood
Lots of potential good news for Saturday after the players have had a week off since our last game was cancelled.

Ellis, Gumbs and Banks all came through Tuesday CSC game with no issues although suggested by MM that they need more fitness before being considered though Gumbs is I suspect ready now if needed.

Wilson and Woods both back in full training and will be assessed before the game on Saturday. That suggests to me they will be available so we MAY finally have something close to a full squad available. Clarke and Ferrier both fit and available. Will it make a difference in terms of escaping relegation - I doubt it but it at least gives us more of a chance if we can field a settled team for the majority of the remaining games.

It is being trite to suggest that every game is a must win game but I honestly feel that if we win Saturday that would change the mindset massively, allowing the players to relax and play without fear whilst even a draw would be acceptable. Lose and it will likely be too difficult IMO. We have to turn this lack of goals around at some point so I am going for a 1-2 victory with Cook and Ferrier scoring...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure it is realistic to expect us to win this game. I think the match on Tuesday night is one where you would say we definitely have to pick up points, probably all three. I just hope for a creditable, competitive performance and at least a goal on Saturday, although I do think that if Wimbledon win and extend the gap to ten points it will probably too much for us psychologically, even if we have games in hand and our form does improve.

I would switch to a 532, with Morris playing just behind the strikers. We need to find different ways to create chances and I don't think we would be disciplined enough defensively if CBT played wide in a 442.

The advance ticket sales are very poor but hopefully at least 4-500 SWA will be in attendance.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hard to say what the team will be but I still chat see us getting out of the game, home win 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am in Herts this weekend and depending on my powers of persuasion might make this game.
Can’t see us keeping a clean sheet, even if Clarke plays, so will have to have more imagination creatively and hope that in their time in training, Cook and Vaughan have developed some understanding. As I pointed out on another thread, our record at Shrewsbury recently is dismal so will not be staking my life savings on a midweek win in Shropshire, so we need something from this game.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure our historical record at Shrewsbury has much bearing, when both teams have completely different players to previous meetings. It is the kind of game we have to win to stand any chance of staying up.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I’m guessing (can’t recall sorry) you were at the Wycombe FA cup game RLC? How did we achieve such success over 120 minutes, a large part with ten men? Could we adopt a similar approach but with 11 men, lol?

Player
Manager
John King
I’m guessing (can’t recall sorry) you were at the Wycombe FA cup game RLC? How did we achieve such success over 120 minutes, a large part with ten men? Could we adopt a similar approach but with 11 men, lol?
Incredible team spirit, a great performance from Davies and a certain amount of luck. Hopefully we get a repeat on Saturday !

I don't think it was as much about tactics as the spirit we showed, to be honest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not sure our historical record at Shrewsbury has much bearing, when both teams have completely different players to previous meetings. It is the kind of game we have to win to stand any chance of staying up.
There are some places where Rovers rarely if ever win on their travels, Barnsley springs to mind, while others we’ve historically done quite well...even John Barnes managed a win at Wycombe. Logic suggests there’s a better chance of winning at Shrewsbury but football matches are never decided that way. We’ll see. Need to win one of the next pair to keep our survival prospects going.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There are some places where Rovers rarely if ever win on their travels, Barnsley springs to mind, while others we’ve historically done quite well...even John Barnes managed a win at Wycombe. Logic suggests there’s a better chance of winning at Shrewsbury but football matches are never decided that way. We’ll see. Need to win one of the next pair to keep our survival prospects going.
I think it was Rob Edwards who got us the win at Wycombe, Boz. A false dawn, but probably his high watermark.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
BBTC, both Rob Edwards and John Barnes managed wins at Wycombe.

Player
Manager
John King
BBTC, both Rob Edwards and John Barnes managed wins at Wycombe.
Wycombe have historically been a smaller, poorer performing club than Rovers, which is why we have a reasonable record there. However, we certainly go into the game as underdogs tomorrow.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Wycombe's takeover by an American lawyer completed today. Hmm ….

In all seriousness, good luck to them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wycombe's takeover by an American lawyer completed today. Hmm ….

In all seriousness, good luck to them.
They had no choice but to agree to the takeover as he had put in money last summer.The budget had been reduced by 35% but the proposed new owner managed to increase it by 40% so a small increase in last season and fairly similar to our budget

Player
Manager
John King
Clarke and Wilson start in a strong line up. Looks like 442. Banks on the bench.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
All way are saying is give us a goal ! Oh and a win

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a strong line-up. Disappointed Gilmour doesn’t even make the bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still unsure there is enough creativity in that side but that’s what we have. Going to be a tough game but we need to start scoring goals ASAP