• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Worst Rovers side ever?

• Thread starter PaulCook'sMagicLeftFoot
  • Start date

Is this the worst Tranmere side you've ever seen?

• Total voters
P

PaulCook'sMagicLeftFoot

Simple question really, just been mulling this one over for the last few weeks.

M

Matthew The Rover

It's certainly not the worst ever, as we have languished in lower leagues of English football.

As for worst I've seen? Quite possibly, but only as I only started coming 11 years ago when I was four. The team, although weaker in ability, I think is slightly better than the team that Dave Watscum possessed, although he did have better talent and players at his disposal, we should have gone straight back up and didn't, so I believe that this team is not quite as bad as that one.

we had a brilliant squad when david(why was he ever appointed?)watson was in charge! we had koumas,hill,henry,haworth,barlow,parky, and now with little we have facey,goodison,aiston,harrison,zola and mcateer! imo we have the worst squad i have ever seen! :!:

M

Matthew The Rover

I believe Parky only played around 5 times under Watscum.

What I'm trying to say (but not putting my point across very well) is we had a better squad then, much better, but they never played to their potential. Our current squad is playing to it's potential!

Matthew The Rover said:
I believe Parky only played around 5 times under Watscum.

What I'm trying to say (but not putting my point across very well) is we had a better squad then, much better, but they never played to their potential. Our current squad is playing to it's potential!

it doesn't matter how many times he played he's still better than aiston,sumerbee or even david(didn't have a clue)beresford :!: oh and danny harrison. :!:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
worst squad ever no way!

how about when we were rock bottom of division four, i think that might be our worst squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
bolton_hater said:
worst squad ever no way!

how about when we were rock bottom of division four, i think that might be our worst squad.

yes, but dont forget, the question is the worst squad you've ever seen, in other words since you've been supporting them.

its close because i didnt support them when they were rock bottom of division four.

C

ChiefRich

I voted "yes" because I didn't ever support them until about 1991 so never saw the old bad teams.

I think it is inarguable. We have the equivalent squad to what we had in the past I think BUT we just do not have the quality players within it that we used to have.

I was never in the school of thought that said 2 people made a football team, but it seems that Hume and Taylor did make our team!

I am sure it would be a different story if we had been able to keep these two, as a lot of you seem to be from looking at other topics on this forum.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
in that case yes.

DixieDean

ChiefRich said:
I was never in the school of thought that said 2 people made a football team, but it seems that Hume and Taylor did make our team!

Add to that the fact Rankine is not the man he was last season and we are also missing Paul Hall.

Those 4 guys were probably our most important last season and now there are gone (ok, Rankine is still here but he's not performed like last season).

DixieDean

I actually can't remember a time when we had so little quality in our team.

We've always had players who could play at a higher level, but now I can't really pick anyone out who would perform every week in the Championship.

Roberts looks like he doesn't care anymore and I can only imagine playing him in a position he hates for so long has demoralised him totally. I imagine he will walk when his contract expires (if Little is still manager).

I think this is the worst side we have had in many years, certainly since before Johnny King returned to bring us the glory days.

I don't think Brian is the kind of manager that can bring success on a shoestring budget. His only real success was at Villa where money wasn't much of a problem. When you can't buy in quality, you have to use your motivational skills to get the best out of the players you have. I'm afraid "motivation" is a word that doesn't appear on Brian's CV and with him at the helm we are doomed for league 2 football next season.

My pre-season prediction of a finish in 16th place looks optimistic at the moment , despite the stick I got at the time.... :shock:

B

Banana Army

Ummm..... None of us were around for the early years so we cant completely judge, but i'd say its the worst team since the "peak"" of division 1 playoffs a around 1995. Probably even since the promotion from division 4 but we cant say worst ever.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I don't think so from what i've seen over the years... but it is close and it could be if I was asked in another 3 months.