• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Even if our wage budget is reduced next season and the quoted figure of £1 million is correct, it will still be a hell of a lot more competitive at League Two level than it has been in League One in the past five seasons. On that basis, I think it is reasonable to believe that we can at least challenge in the top half of the table next year.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even if our wage budget is reduced next season and the quoted figure of £1 million is correct, it will still be a hell of a lot more competitive at League Two level than it has been in League One in the past five seasons. On that basis, I think it is reasonable to believe that we can at least challenge in the top half of the table next year.
That's a good point. We certainly should be more competitive. We might even start scoring goals again!

Regarding player contracts, I don't believe they mean much anymore. If a player decides he wants to leave, there's not a great deal the club can do. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Wallace goes and to some extent Lowe because of his goal tally.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I saw some figures on another football forum, unsure how accurate, which suggested £1 million would put us in the bottom third of L2 spenders. Fleetwood were top with £2.1 million, Accrington bottom £500,000 and there were a handful of other sides with sub-million budgets.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I bet 20 teams from the league above want Ryan Lowe, including Preston if they don't get promoted. ( a £50,000 bid would sway P.J)

Wallace to Preston or Doncaster? Poss Sheffield
I doubt Ryan Lowe would want to leave, so the only point in selling him is to release funds for two or three players. Personally, I'd try to hang onto him. Selling him would demonstrate a lack of ambition and could cost us promotion next season. Wallace would be a gamble for any team, given his fitness issues. Any move from Rovers would be a gamble for him as he could end up on the bench when he needs games. I hope we can get him to sign a 12-month deal. However, if I had to choose, I'd take Lowe ahead of Wallace.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Lowe wants to go into coaching/management Bury are supposedly offering him a 2 year player/coach role, I wouldn't be surprised if he left

Player
Manager
John King
I saw some figures on another football forum, unsure how accurate, which suggested £1 million would put us in the bottom third of L2 spenders. Fleetwood were top with £2.1 million, Accrington bottom £500,000 and there were a handful of other sides with sub-million budgets.

I have seen the same figures quoted for Fleetwood and Accy but everything I have read suggests that a budget of £900k - £1.2million is the norm in League Two, which would make our wages pretty much average for that division.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although we have no manager, we should consider offering Lowe a player/coach deal if it helps him stay.

Goalscorers are very hard to find.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although we have no manager, we should consider offering Lowe a player/coach deal if it helps him stay.

Goalscorers are very hard to find.
Agree 100%. Listening to John McMahon, we have very few coaches at TRFC compared to most clubs. As far as I know, none of the staff were strikers (unlike Ronnie). I know our budget is tight, but to offer Ryan a player/coach deal would make him stay, save money and give the likes of Cole a mentor, which I suspect he is lacking. Also, I like Ryan's whole attitude and I'd certainly make him captain if Wallace left.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree about Lowe for captain. Especially if Ash leaves and we lose Wallace plus Goodi has gone too.

It's a serious point about Lowe. He got 19 league goals in a generally poor side. If we bring in the right players and manger he could score loads in L2

Unlikely we'll find anyone else who could score that many on our resources.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unlikely we'll find anyone else who could score that many on our resources.
I'd say almost impossible. Need to keep him for next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Gary Jones (Bradford Skipper) has just been released after 2 years at the club and over 100 games. Leading them to promotion last season (plus the Carling Cup final) and a steady position this season.

36 but still would be a good signing I reckon in L2 for us and a natural leader.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good solid player, and a role model for the younger guys. He's 37 next month, but I think he would do very well in division two. Might be just the type of player the club needs.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure about this one. We are already overloaded in midfield and have several experienced players in that area, albeit a couple might leave. Added to which, I am not sure Jones and Koumas would be the right combination in League Two.

Jones does not really fit the profile of the type of player we are looking for now and would not be particularly cheap: given the budget restraints, the money might be better spent elsewhere, on the centre back positions in particular.

drwhoman

Not much news from Prenton Park which is disappointing. You really do wonder where the club is going. Surely they need a new Manager asap if they are going to have any chance of a better close season signings wise than last? As regards players I see McGurk has scored eleven for Burton this season and Robbie Weir is still turning out for them. Ian Sharps did get sent off last week however! Talking of defenders, I see that Ben Gibson has made the England Under 21 squad. Well done Ben! A good player.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It'll be ironic if Burton go up with McGurk and Weir playing in L1. I always like McGurk but he could be frustrating and was injury prone (he has missed a fair few games for Burton this season). But good luck to them.

Gibson was quality, especially for someone so young.

Now we have missed out on Mellon as manager, you do wonder who is on the shortlist. We have offered 5 players new contracts. I think most of us would want them all to stay but can't blame them for not signing without knowing who is in charge so it needs sorting asap.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With all this supposed transparency at the club now, I was expecting some kind of news regarding the manager. Maybe they've got a real coup, so there keeping their cards close to their chest. Where's Brian Little these days? :D

Player
Liam Palmer
So that's Ryan Lowe gone then. We didn't want to offer him an extended deal. We got a 'good deal' from Bury from him - whether that will be enough to replace a 20-goal-a-season or get a tin of spam from Home Bargains remains to be seen.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Makes financial sense to accept the offer but doesn't make footballing sense, wont be the last to go that's for sure

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I'm not sure it makes any financial sense given that all we are told is that "The fee Bury are paying is excellent value"! What on earth does that mean, God only knows but the fact that it's NOT disclosed suggest's that it's peanuts. How on earth can a decision as important as this affecting our most prolific striker from last season be taken without a manager being in place. It just beggars belief. How can anyone believe anything that comes out of this club....the Trust lied to about Board representation, we told by some hyped up "media jock" that we are in an era of openness in relation to the supporters and at the first opportunity they hide the facts surrounding the sale of our most important player. Absolutely disgusting!