• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Whatever happens tomorrow, the club needs stability after the upheaval of recent seasons and that means backing Edwards for the long term.

That said, the ownership issue has to be settled soon and Palios is one of the more reputable individuals linked with the club in recent years.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Palios involvement is great news for me. Hope RE gets an extended run as it would be nice to see whether he can cut it.

Wonder whether Palios might be more hand-on, either in an official capacity or just through interference.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I know we're only four matches into the new season, but the transfer window closes in less than two weeks. The squad is taking shape, but one or two issues remain.

Goalkeeper - Is OFW staying or going? If he goes, it would be difficult to sign a decent replacement in time. Even the better loanees will already be with their temporary clubs. No doubt Rob is on the case.

Defence - At the moment, this area is well covered. When fit, we have seven players vying for four positions. However, only four are signed up for the full season. Woodards and Donacien are with us until January and Hill has a temporary arrangement. I'd like us to hang onto Woodards for longer. He's got quality and versatility. I hope Rob acts once he is happy with his fitness. Hill is a good player too and I hope we can sign him on contract. He may actually keep Ridehalgh out of the team. I think seven defenders in the squad is about right, given injuries, suspension and loss of form. If we find that's too many, one can always be loaned out.

Midfield - Again, we have seven players for four (or maybe five) slots, but all are on our books for the whole season. An extra player would be useful, particularly a holding player, but I doubt the budget will stretch that far. In case of need, Rob may have to rely on temporary loans.

Attack - I doubt we have or could find a 20 goal a season striker to replace Lowe, but it would be good to have two 10-goal men. Maybe Stockton, Richards or Odejayi could oblige, but this area is my main concern. A loanee of the quality of Jake Cassidy (when we originally signed him) would fit the bill.

Anyone disagree?

Player
Manager
John King
Attack - I doubt we have or could find a 20 goal a season striker to replace Lowe, but it would be good to have two 10-goal men. Maybe Stockton, Richards or Odejayi could oblige, but this area is my main concern. A loanee of the quality of Jake Cassidy (when we originally signed him) would fit the bill.

Anyone disagree?

Yes. I think Cole and Richards are both capable of getting 10-15 goals at this level if they are utilised correctly. Stockton has as much potential as Cassidy or any other loan player we are likely to attract and should be given an extended run in the team now; no need to inhibit the develop of our own youngsters with mediocre loan signings. Odejayi, while not prolific, has also shown he is a handful in recent games. In any case, we have a number of midfielders who are capable of contributing goals: Power, Koumas, Rowe, even Baggie and Bruna, so there is no reason why we should be reliant on a single prolific striker as we were last season.

Edwards has spoken of a need for more pace out wide and I think this is the area where he will strengthen. I would imagine Fonners is definitely staying now.

I would agree that we should sign Woodards and Hill on longer deals if possible, as they are both quality players at this level.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Nice to see Cole has signed a two year contract extension until 2017. Here's hoping we hear similar news soon about Max ....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes good news about Cole and hopefully he can continue to develop and score some more goals. Although RE needs to play him a system that will help and not leave him isolated up top trying to deal with long balls.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sends out a positive message for the youngsters and I think Stockton is the type of player we should be keeping hold of.

Think this will be a good season for him now that he's playing regularly.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes good news about Cole and hopefully he can continue to develop and score some more goals. Although RE needs to play him a system that will help and not leave him isolated up top trying to deal with long balls.

Yes, I agree. The only real positive to come from Saturday's game was the performance of Cole and Elliott Richards as a pair. I thought they were both brilliant at times.

I am pleasantly surprised we have managed to persuade Cole to sign a three year deal, which is almost unheard of at our level these days.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Interesting to read we are still on the look out for players and the take over has brought in some extra money to spend on the squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting to read we are still on the look out for players and the take over has brought in some extra money to spend on the squad.
Yeah, we may need it in defence !