• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Warrington Town v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers have unsurprisingly been the better side first half, but penalty aside haven’t really tested the keeper and I agree with AM about the striker. As well as those RLC names, Knight-Percival has played some decent balls out from the back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Big manis pen the difference at half time which just a our crept in after the keeper got a hand to it. Glatzel playing on the left of a front 3 with Mani and Mcmananaman. Duffy in a number 10 role.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feeney on for glatzel on the left. Duffy off for foley I think. Davies for Percival.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Rovers have unsurprisingly been the better side first half, but penalty aside haven’t really tested the keeper and I agree with AM about the striker. As well as those RLC names, Knight-Percival has played some decent balls out from the back.
Did Evan Gumbs play for W'ton Boz? I know you thought he had some potential when he was at PP. Did he do any good today?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Gumbs at the game but not in the match day squad. Duggan and Clarke played for them.
Started the game really well - much sharper than Tues - and really dominated the first half. Duffy disappeared after the first 10 mins. Everyone else played really well. Game fizzled out after ht in painful pre season fashion.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Decent run out but far from convincing. Result doesn’t matter I guess and all about fitness etc.

Positives

Knight-Percival at the back looked assured alongside Clarke giving balance on the left and more comfortable in possession that Monthe was. Merrie played left back and was solid although untested. Cogley looked good albeit his final ball into the box let him down a few times. Mcmanaman looked a real live wire first half. Duffy took all set pieces and is a clever player but not the most mobile. Watson is a real athlete and need to get him in advanced positions. Tom Davies fairly solid at the back but limited opposition. Foley looked fit and got around the park.

Negatives

Not many and still a bit early to judge but glatzel looked wasted on the left. Mani was 7/10 at best in my opinion but on the basis of today we need a lot more in the striking department if we are to score enough. Nevitt looked ok but hard to judge him in 20 mins and don’t think he’s suited to playing centrally on his own. The match reminded me of some last season. Decent at the back, easy on the eye in midfield, but the opposition keeper (trialist), had hardly anything to do all game, apart from the penalty which he almost saved. I couldn’t decide if we’d be better playing a 4-4-2 instead of a sort of 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 which we started with. Feeney came on and reminded me of his poor form last season often making the wrong decision.
As I say early days so no need to panic. Nice little ground and a nice day for it. Warrington full backs being Mitch duggan and Eddie Clarke.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Sparky's post above.

Some of our approach play was excellent in the first half, particularly when MacManaman and Duffy linked up, but the lack of presence in the box was an issue and the obvious area where we need to improve. Manny is good at linking the play in deep positions but pretty leaden footed around the box, and you can see whey he has not got a great goalscoring record.

MacManaman's speed of feet and thought is fantastic for League Two level and he won a huge number of free kicks today. Both NKP and Davies are more comfortable on the ball than Monthe, and watching them today it was clear just how weak Manny's distribution was. Both are an upgrade on Monthe/Nelson/Ellis in my view, and Davies is also very vocal and a natural leader.

Glatzel again showed some nice touches but I think he needs to play through the middle, and I agree with Sparky that playing wide in a front three does not suit him. The formation is an interesting dilemma for Mellon as the midfield / number ten area is a real strength of the squad, and I think he will be reluctant to go with a 442.

I have been impressed by Watson's ability both to play deep and be tidy on the ball, and get into advanced areas. A definite improvement on Lewis, who was very limited on the ball despite a decent goalscoring record.

Duffy looks good enough to merit a contract, but is way behind in terms of fitness.

Generally very positive and hopefully another striker will arrive soon.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
So is the issue with Mani he drops deep too often links up play albut isn't mobile enough to get back up top ?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thanks for the updates all.
Glatzel seems to need to be playing up top. Wonder if MM will be tempted to play him up front instead of Mani?
How are the youngsters doing. Do any of the first year pros/ Jolie / Burton look anywhere near like being a realistic option? Also Fisher is a youth player but seems to have been fast tracked as he has got on every game even if only for a few minutes. Any good?

Player
Manager
John King
So is the issue with Mani he drops deep too often links up play albut isn't mobile enough to get back up top ?
No, he just looks quite hesitant and cumbersome when he is in the box. He looks like a typical target man rather than a finisher.

Regarding the youngsters, it is difficult to judge when they are so many changes in personnel, but none of them really impressed in the second half. Jolley did ok against Rangers, but both he and Burton were pretty anonymous today.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I’m still not sure about Burton and Jolley and think we need to be realistic with our expectations of them. They are very far from the finished article

Player
Manager
John King
One weakness in the squad as it stands is a lack of pace, with the possible exception of Cogley at right back. I think Watson and Foley have energy and the ability to get up and down the pitch, but there is nobody similar to Woolery in the attacking third.

However, we do have a number of technical, intelligent footballers, so perhaps the level of skill in the squad will more than compensate at League Two level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes losing CBT was a blow if only because of his pace. We certainly need some more of it in attacking areas. None of the strikers have real pace

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was great to be able to go to a live game again. The quality was not the greatest, but Warrington battled hard and probably had the best chance in open play, a one on one saved by Murphy just after h/t. Rovers deserved to win on the possession, but the lack of a finisher was reminiscent of how we limped through the end of last season, after Vaughan's injury. It might have been worth giving Glatzel some time in a more central role with another forward playing alongside. Mani's awkward to play against, but often seemed to fool himself and leave the ball behind, he reminded me a bit of Eddie Sonko. Defensively, we were fairly solid, though Cogley's reluctance to head the ball earned a ticking-off from Joe Murphy.

With regard to the ex-Rovers, Clarke had a steady game, while Duggan put some decent crosses in from right-back, but gave away a lot of free-kicks.

MoM for me would be McManaman, won the penalty and made things happen.

Player
Manager
John King
As an aside, Glatzel's family were sitting in front of me yesterday and his brother was in full Tranmere kit, so clearly getting into the spirit of things. They were speaking in German so I assume Paul is bilingual.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, did you finish your holiday early to make the game? Dedication if that’s the case!