• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Walsall v Rovers

Match result

• Walsall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walsall v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Banks's Stadium
Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the reply. RLC. The commentary suggested that Dacres-Cogley appeared frustrated offering himself on the overlap and not getting the ball from Morris, while Kieron seemed to cut inside rather than go outside a lot yesterday. Glatzel's goal v Swindon came from such a move. You mentioned Hawkes being disappointing, it did not sound like Morris was at his best either. I wonder if there's a touch of old club syndrome, Ollie Banks always used to perform poorly v Oldham and Kieron hasn't been at his best v the Saddlers.

I agree Spearing's footballing brain would have been handy yesterday, it sounded like there was a lot of aimless long ball whereas Jay would usually keep things grounded.

Finally Monthe attracted quite a lot of criticism while with Rovers, but playing to his strengths he is a competent defender at this level and wasn't really tested during the game. It may be his absence has contributed to the Walsall slump and they may revive now his ban has ended.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Thanks for the reply. RLC. The commentary suggested that Dacres-Cogley appeared frustrated offering himself on the overlap and not getting the ball from Morris, while Kieron seemed to cut inside rather than go outside a lot yesterday. Glatzel's goal v Swindon came from such a move. You mentioned Hawkes being disappointing, it did not sound like Morris was at his best either. I wonder if there's a touch of old club syndrome, Ollie Banks always used to perform poorly v Oldham and Kieron hasn't been at his best v the Saddlers.

I agree Spearing's footballing brain would have been handy yesterday, it sounded like there was a lot of aimless long ball whereas Jay would usually keep things grounded.

Finally Monthe attracted quite a lot of criticism while with Rovers, but playing to his strengths he is a competent defender at this level and wasn't really tested during the game. It may be his absence has contributed to the Walsall slump and they may revive now his ban has ended.
You are spot on with your comment re Cogley. Morris held on to the ball far too long too often today and seemed like he wanted to do it all himself. Poor performances all over the pitch and we just never got going. Too many aimless long, high balls which were meat and drink to Manny and co at the back. The half chances we created were exactly that. Hawkes wasnt in the game at all, and Warrington and O'Connor couldnt get a hold of the game in midfield. I think we could have played for days and not scored today, just need to put it down as a poor day at the office and move on.

Overall it was a very poor match to watch, lots of breaks in play for fouls which seemed to frustrate both home and away support.

Sad to see the idiot at the end berate Clarke too.

Reactions: Boz
Player
ian goodison
That might be a bit of an overreaction. Remember, we did win 3-0 only a few days ago. Our record has been excellent recently and we are still 2nd. That game had 0-0 written all over it which I would have taken, just a shame we lost in the manner we did. I thought both teams were pretty mediocre though.
sorry IAN but cant believe with us 2nd in the league and after tues. you would have happily taken a point, no disrespect to either team but the barrow & Walsall games should have been there for the taking it just piles more pressure on our home fixtures.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lots of seemingly unfair criticism of Clarke on other sites. He’s been immense for us but I had to laugh when I read this bit about the tellies!

“Clarke was crying like a baby all match because he tried to do his usual hard man act and spent all game bouncing off him because the lad wasn't in the least bit concerned by Clarke, he's a good defender but I do wish that sometimes he would drop the hard man act and just defend, however it appears his own ego is too of the list, particularly when he starts walking like he's got a couple of flat screen tellys under his arms”

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha @Sparky

@keep the faith I predicted a win with a couple of goals before the match but as the match progressed it was clear this was not going to happen. Both teams were mediocre and a draw would have been a fair result.

I know we are 2nd but we aren’t going to win every week and we aren’t going to perform week in week out. We are still a second division team and that ultimately comes with its own problems and inconsistencies.

The best players who perform week in week out are playing at a higher level. I think we just need to give them some slack at times.

If it wasn’t for Clarke’s error later on, a draw would have been a decent result.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
New Newport manager Michael Flynn takes over the reigns at Walsall. Their temporary manager leaves with a 100% record played 1 won 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Flynn was linked with clubs at a higher level so this is a very good appointment for the Saddlers. Hopefully they can provide a few banana-skins for our promotion rivals having done for us.