• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Walsall v Rovers

Match result

• Walsall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walsall v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Banks's Stadium
Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
looks like around 1200 to 1500 whites will be in attendance, yes they have sacked their boss today. but if the rovers of last night turn up it won't matter the same line-up and another 3-0 win with Lewis Warrington and the front two getting the goals

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up we have a trip to the Bescot Stadium to take on a Walsall side who have lost their last 7 and sacked manager Matt Taylor earlier this week. Second from bottom Oldham are 4 points behind but with a game in hand so the hosts are well and truly in a relegation battle. Ex rovers Manny Monthe (recently back from his 7 game ban), and Joss Labadie may well have preferred to have stayed at their previous clubs given the perilous position Walsall are in. Also on their books are ex rovers loanee Donervon Daniels, and we need to be wary of George Miller who has 8 goals this season in all competitions.

As for rovers if everyone fit then I’d expect the same 11. The front two are really impressing and Hawkes and Morris can be a handful for any defence, the latter returning to the place where his career started. If Spearing is fit he may come back in but arguably would be harsh on Warrington who impressed on Tuesday.

Prediction: rovers score first and it could be another 3 points. Although their may be a reaction from the hosts to the sacking, if we can get at them early and score, their heads could drop and it could be a very good day for us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Fully expect an unchanged team and a win 2 0.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It seems light years ago, since we played the Saddlers in the season's opener, a good atmosphere for the first competitive game in a while with travelling fans at PP. While they seemed a bit deficient in firepower, it was a fairly close game and I wasn't expecting them to slump so much as to now be in real danger of relegation. Will be interesting to see if their caretakers can get any sort of bounce; hopefully not. Labadie is suspended, improving our chances of keeping the full xi on the park. I don't remember much of Daniels' spell on loan with us, but we know enough about Monthe to be able to target his weaknesses.

It would be a surprise if the side was shuffled, to bring Spearing back in, if fit. Injuries permitting, an unchanged team from Swindon would make sense. After this and the trip to Hartlepool, Rovers have a batch of difficult games coming up. While I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a must win game, there is a need to garner some points for the next two games, before the tougher challenges which follow. Play with the same determination as the Swindon game and we should pick up all the points.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Micky confirmed in his pre-match interview that Spearing will be out for several weeks, but suggested that Murphy will be back on the bench on Saturday. He said we have a few other injury doubts. That could be smoke and mirrors, but Tom Davies did go down nursing his knee on a couple of occasions on Tuesday night. As has been commented, if everybody is fit I think it will be an unchanged team.

Donervon Daniels was a slightly dodgy loan signing we had in the revolving door period before Palios arrived at the club, so it will be interesting to see how the in-form partnership of Hemmings and Glatzel fare against him and Manny. Walsall do have a few decent players, the best of whom is probably the talented Connor Wilkinson. However, if we are anywhere near our best, and if we are not forced to play in a hurricane, I think we will win the game quite comfortably.

As Boz comments, the tricky sequence of fixtures starts next Saturday and we probably need to pick up at least four points from the next two games, with Saturday's game looking easier on paper than the match at Hartlepool next Tuesday. A lot of the other top sides have difficult fixtures at the weekend, so a victory could put us in a great position.

There will be 1,500 - 2,000 Tranmere fans in attendance and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, the way we are playing at the moment, the confidence at the club, we should really look to be putting a few past these. The strikers are looking very good and very hungry for goals. If we can win this, we can cement our position in 2nd with fifteen games left to go.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
without getting carried away after tues. I have more confidence about the Walsall game, while jay will be a loss the 2 lads in mid-field looked a good pairing (hope I don't jinx them) but these are the games we need to go at them from the start.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Should be an easy victory on paper :)
On the pitch however no doubt Walsall will be fired up after the sacking.
Assuming no injuries from the bumps and bruises reported by MM and in his pre match presser I am going for a 2 0 victory with Glatzel scoring one and either Hemmings or Warrington the other.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am still high from Tuesday but I'm sure this will not be as easy as our last match. From what I can see, Swindon had most of the possession and were not afraid to attack. Most of our goals and good chances resulted from our pressing in the middle of the pitch. They lost possession and we moved the ball quickly resulting in a pinpoint, defence splitting pass. I think Walsall will be less adventurous than Swindon and will be more difficult to break down. They have not conceded many goals recently and have lost by one or at most two goals. They have been a bit unlucky, having conceded quite a few very late goals.

Once we get ahead, they will have to attack more, but until then it could be tough. You can't easily predict what a managerless team will do. My prediction is a 1-0 or maybe 2-0 win, but if they can score a goal it will be very interesting.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting odds on promotion from SkyBet. We are better than evens to go up and FGR are 250 to 1 on! The best odds on offer are Mansfield, who are 2-1, which I think is very generous.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jolley in for the injured Glatzel, otherwise unchanged.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jolley in for glatzel who must be injured as not on the bench. A shame given Paul’s recent form. Otherwise unchanged

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Shame about Glatzel’s absence, although Jolley and Hemmings linked up quite well in the Rochdale game. Jake Burton makes it an attacking bench, thought Merrie or Maguire might have got a sub spot.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Shame Glatzel is out, I think he would have caused Monthe and Daniels big problems. Both are, IMHO, accidents waiting to happen. Let's hope Charlie can come in and step up to the plate with good movement.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes that's a real shame bout Glatzel. Hope not too serious.
Monthe will find Jolley much easier as he can match him for pace and Jolley is less technically adept.
We should still have more than enough however!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like a scrappy game, Hemmings puts our best, almost only, chance over

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds like a scrappy game, Hemmings puts our best, almost only, chance over
Yes it is a bit scrappy with Walsall digging in making it difficult to build up any rhythm. They are all working hard but we have not seen much of the front two yet.