• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Valiants v Rovers

Match result

• Port Vale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Valiants v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Vale Park
Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
That was amazing. Think I’ve torn my hamstring when Morris scored!! 4 goals scored in the second half and two of them with CBT off.

massive credit to Dawes and Parky.

Over to the new manager thread

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, we won!! Amazing game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds an amazing game and not without it’s share of controversy. Delighted with the result.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think I need a long lie down after that.......

I thought we were the better team in general play all afternoon and I am not sure how we managed to go in two down at half time. We did not create a huge amount in the first half, but we were better with the ball than Vale throughout and the victory was fully deserved. But equally importantly, the spirit we showed to respond at 2-0 and again at 3-2 was unbelievable and is a vital component for any successful team.

The obvious concern is how poor we were at defending set plays today, which is an issue that can be laid at the door of the coaching staff. But in terms of use of the ball, movement and shape we were excellent, as we have been in the previous games under Dawes.

Individually, I thought Morris, CBT, Clarke and Spearing in particular were great, and Kahn was good other than his set piece delivery. Manny had an up and down game with a few hesitant moments, but his one versus one defending was excellent.

I think there is a strong argument for giving Dawes the job now. He passed a very difficult - and slightly self-inflicted - test against one of the fancied sides with flying colours today and the players are clearly playing for him.

Player
Aldo
Got to give Dawes and Parky another month at least after that, we have gone from embarrassing to watch to the highlight of the week. Great to see Morris back on form too. Not sure what is happening to our defending on set plays though .......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Defending at set plays has been a problem for Rovers for some time though. Won’t let it detract from an epic win today, looking forward to catching the highlights.

Player
aldo
there is lots of work needed on that. they need to get it sorted we had the same problem last season if you remember

ADD

Player
Norwood
What a result! Great win. Great team spirit. Pretty much all that needs saying has been said!
But once the euphoria has died away yes plenty to work on - terrible defending of set pieces again - simply not good enough. Also for all our posession we didn't create much first half and would we have got back into it if not for the sending off? Not sure but we will never know.
We must also be better with attacking set pieces - again so many times we did not clear the first man. Unacceptable how often that happened.
Now only 4 points off the play offs... and in a remarkable day both Southend and Scunny won....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb spirit from the lads, you have to give Dawes and Parky a hell of a lot of credit. We are now looking very dangerous as an attacking side, a side unrecognisable from a few weeks ago when we couldn't buy a goal and a win. I do have some severe reservations about our defence though. If they hadn't have had a man sent off, I think we would have been looking at defeat today such was our weakness in defence.

We were already 2-0 down at the break and for all the possession, it seems when Port Vale ventured forward, they scored. It happened for their third as well. We have to improve defensively and on set plays and while this has been a weakness for quite some time with Rovers it does need addressing.

Player
Manager
John King
We do have to bear in mind that two of the regular back four were missing today. That definitely played a part in the first goal at least, when Nelson was caught way out of position in the build up to the penalty.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We do have to bear in mind that two of the regular back four were missing today. That definitely played a part in the first goal at least, when Nelson was caught way out of position in the build up to the penalty.
Absolutely. But then Mike Jackson, our coach and then manager, was a centre half! Give Dawes a chance to sort the defence out.

Player
Manager
John King
so witch game was better today or the 4-3 at Barrow
Today's by far, I think. Certainly in terms of the quality of our football.

I was at the Barrow game and we actually played poorly for long periods, as we did for much of that season. The relationship between Brabin and the supporters was also terrible at the time, whereas there is obviously a real rapport between Dawes and the fans at the moment.

drwhoman

The winning goal was a screamer. Amusing to see that Scott Davies ran up to jump on the player pile! They were pumped! Such enthusiasm!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The winning goal was a screamer. Amusing to see that Scott Davies ran up to jump on the player pile! They were pumped! Such enthusiasm!
Even Colin Murray on Quest commented on this. I can’t imagine morale and team spirit could be any higher.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We beat Morecambe 4 3 away the last time we were in league 2.