• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Valiants v Rovers

Match result

• Port Vale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Valiants v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Vale Park
Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers make the trip to Vale Park hoping to continue their recent mini revival which has seen a 3 game unbeaten run and the SWA having a sneaky look up at the top end of the table.

Dawes says pre match that Lewis, Payne, Ridehalgh will be missing. Ferrier and Woolery who both played 45mins are fit and no mention of Lloyds knock so assume he is in the squad.

Vale sit 7th with a decent record of 6 wins from 10 games plus 3 defeats and a draw, although the valiants were knocked out of the FA Cup last week at home to National league debutants Kings Lynn. Last season they finished 8th and have a capable manager in John Askey.

Up top they have the experienced Tom Pope who is a handful at this level and a matchwinner on his day. Other notable names include ex Liverpool youngster and rovers loannee David Amoo plus wide men David Worrall and Harry McKirdy who are decent.

On paper this is the toughest test for Dawes and if no manager is installed before Saturday, you would imagine this is his last game in charge of rovers.
Prediction: score draw for me but hoping we can take the 3 points.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Lee O'Connor is also away on international duty, so we are going to have a problem in the full back positions. I would imagine that Nelson will play at right back, which is far from ideal against decent opposition.

Vale have not lost many games in recent months and have a decent squad, but I still think we have more talented players. However, with a few absentees, a draw would be a decent result in this match. We certainly don't want the gap to the top seven to get any bigger.

I think we will line up as follows:

Davies
Nelson Clarke Monthe MacDonald
Spearing
Feeney Morris / Kahn
Lloyd
Vaughan CBT

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
With us having more attacking options now I think we will win this 2 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a blow if O'Connor is definitely away on international duty, as Nelson isn't a right-back and we are short of other options. MacDonald isn't as good a defender as Rides on the other side and there's a risk that that defence will get pulled around. Agree with RLCs formation, but no question in my mind that Morris should get the nod over Khan, his all-round contribution and defensive ability. There's even an arguable case for Morris at left-back with Khan/MacDonald in front of him.

John Askey achieved some reasonable results for Macc against us over the years and we take them on as they've got into some decent form. I think we'll have to score at least twice to get something out of this game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not as confident here as mentioned above, I think we will struggle defensively. However, we do have some decent attacking players and if they can give Port Vale the runaround, we might be in for a decent game.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hope we keep the run going. As we're playing more on the front foot now with attacking midfielders I think we will get something.
Pity about the full back situation - the bigger pitch won't help the guys standing. Albeit 100% effort guaranteed from Sid.
1-2 for us. Clarke again......and Sid.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Another good interview from Dawes pre game. Amazing that Lloyd was so fit after not having played since September and only having had 2 weeks training. O'Connor he confirmed definitely away in addition which is a shame. RLC's suggested team looks very likely (Morris probably getting the nod over Khan) assuming we don't go 532 - just wonder if with Lloyd having joined he might be tempted to do that as he offers a real engine in midfield based on Wednesday's game.
Looking forward to this one in any event - a tough test against a good side and certainly the toughest test yet for Dawes/ Parky. Going for a 3-1 win with Lloyd getting his first goal for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Amazing that Lloyd was so fit after not having played since September and only having had 2 weeks training
Yeah, he seems to be a naturally fit person. He was saying in his pre-match interview how he was always one of the fittest in the many squads he's trained/played with.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With OConnor and Rides missing whoever is full back is going to have their hands full if mckirdy plays who returned and scored in their midweek game v Liverpool u23s

Player
Manager
John King
Feeney misses out, presumably due to injury, and Kahn starts, but the team is otherwise as suggested above.

Murphy also not on the bench, again presumably injured.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1605362550316.png

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An attacking team on paper with Vaughan, CBT, Lloyd, Khan and Morris. Just hope Spearing gets some help when needed and the full backs who vale will target especially Nelson

Player
Manager
John King
Feeney's wife has given birth, so not an injury fortunately. Murphy is ill.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Anyone else having ifollow problems? My first away game on it and just got the wheel spinning when I’ve clicked on the play triangle

Player
Manager
John King
Not today, but it is a regular problem. I always log on over an hour before kick off now, as you sometimes can't get on after that time.

I would try changing your web browser, which sometimes works.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Probably the strongest starting xi we could put out given the absences. I'm a bit troubled by the bench, only one defender, Ray, who had another dismal game in midweek. Mark Ellis played better and think I'd sooner have seen Hayde. Neither of the midfielders Banks and Young seem particularly defensive minded. If we win this, it will need to be by outscoring Vale.

Sparky, I've given up on away games never able to access on Ifollow.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, there is not much protection for a makeshift back four. I assume Ellis is injured.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Anyone else having ifollow problems? My first away game on it and just got the wheel spinning when I’ve clicked on the play triangle
Same here I have no issues when we are at home but have issues when we away.