• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Vale v Rovers

Match result

• Port Vale

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Vale Park next for Rovers.

The Valiants are one of the sides fancied for promotion and have a reasonable squad, and a very good manager in Darryl Clarke. Their form was outstanding in the closing months of last season, although they have a made a stuttering start this term, with a poor performance at Northampton last Saturday and defeat in the cup on Tuesday night. They have got some decent players, including Tom Conlon, David Worrall, and the strike pairing of Devante Rodney and James Wilson, who will be a handful.

In terms of our selection, it seems that MacDonald, Merrie and Davies are the only players that are definitely out, with Nevitt also doubtful. If Eliott is fit, I would like him to start this game and try and build on his performance on Tuesday night. However, it seems probable that Mani will be up front, with Maguire at left back and the rest of the side unchanged from the Walsall game, although Morris could possibly be preferred to Feeney.

There should be a great Rovers following for this game, the first Saturday away match in eighteen months, and I would be happy with a draw.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think the missing players and lack of depth is likely to tell in the next few games, Think we will lose this 1 0.

Player
Manager
John King
We won't have much on the bench, but it will still be a strong starting eleven.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Too many pieces of the jigsaw puzzle missing.
It may depend like last Saturday, who scores first and how we play.
Typical away day, when you know it's gonna be a battle and somehow we get a result.

However, I would take 0-0.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A point on our travels wouldn’t be a bad result but a win would be nice. Agree that it would make sense to start nevitt to see if he can go on a run but I’m expecting Mani to start who could do with a goal in open play fairly soon.
The bench looked fairly limited last Saturday so could be worse this one. Wonder where Duffy is at the moment

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Had a look at the Vale forum and their fans feel very upbeat, despite a disappointing start to the season. It seemed they were unlucky to lose to Sunderland, victims of a terrible penalty decision. As well as those RLC mentions, they also have ex-Rover David Amoo, who seems to like playing against us. At this stage of the season, Vale seem to have more depth to their squad and with options to mix things up. Darryl Clarke managed the Walsall team who beat us comfortably 1-3 at PP last season, when Rovers were in good form and is tactically astute.

By contrast, things seem to be on a bit of a downturn for Rovers; losing from a good position at Oldham, further injuries and no imminent sign of additions to the squad. As tickets are available on the day might go to this, as can't make Newport, but by no means certain.

RLC suggests Knight=Percival will be available, while elsewhere it has been mentioned both Nevitt and Macdonald took part in training, so perhaps Micky will have more to chose from than we feared. If NKP is available, could give an option of 3 at the back and playing with wing-backs, which could enable us to mirror Vale. I suspect, even if fit, Nevitt won't start this game with Dieseruvwe gettig the nod.

I would take a draw, but not that hopeful.

Player
Manager
John King
Vale have probably got greater numbers at the moment, but our starting eleven has more quality.

I am unsure what the situation is with KP. Micky might have forgotten to mention him in his interview, but he was only out through illness so could be back in training.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
It is a trip to Vale Park next for Rovers.

The Valiants are one of the sides fancied for promotion and have a reasonable squad, and a very good manager in Darryl Clarke. Their form was outstanding in the closing months of last season, although they have a made a stuttering start this term, with a poor performance at Northampton last Saturday and defeat in the cup on Tuesday night. They have got some decent players, including Tom Conlon, David Worrall, and the strike pairing of Devante Rodney and James Wilson, who will be a handful.

In terms of our selection, it seems that MacDonald, Merrie and Davies are the only players that are definitely out, with Nevitt also doubtful. If Eliott is fit, I would like him to start this game and try and build on his performance on Tuesday night. However, it seems probable that Mani will be up front, with Maguire at left back and the rest of the side unchanged from the Walsall game, although Morris could possibly be preferred to Feeney.

There should be a great Rovers following for this game, the first Saturday away match in eighteen months, and I would be happy with a draw.
What's the issue with Davies RLC? I must have missed that.
If Nevitt is fit it would be good to see him get another start. Nicer still if MM could have either Glatzel or even Manni keeping him company.

Player
Manager
John King
What's the issue with Davies RLC? I must have missed that.
If Nevitt is fit it would be good to see him get another start. Nicer still if MM could have either Glatzel or even Manni keeping him company.
I was thinking of Scott rather than Tom. I think the latter is fine (or at least I hope he is !).

Player
aldo
wow we are positive ant we ok we have players out and we are light in numbers but another 1-0 win for me mammi to smash it home

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm taking a slice of AM optimism this week and going for a 2-1 win. Despite not having a main man up top, we have scored 3 goals in 2 games and if we can keep it tight at the back, unlike Tues we have a great chance of coming away with the points. They probably need to learn how to manage a game better so if we do take the lead, let's hope they've learnt some lessons from Tues plus we will have the strongest team out there. 2 league wins in 2 would be a great start.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Tickets bought, another stadium to tick off for my son. Really looking forward to an away day; it’s been a while!
My head’s saying a point, which wouldn’t be too bad, but my heart’s saying a narrow 1-0 win.
Driving down as we usually do for away games, but going to be tough to keep my son entertained pre-match as not the best place for “tourists”.
The downside, although a relatively short journey, listening to my son’s music; I’ll have to get my urban dictionary out!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Similar thoughts here goody. Can’t decide whether to park in the stadium or somewhere local.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm remembering Walsall and the first hour or so of Oldham and assuming we have learned from the last half hour. I know Micky will play his best XI in its most appropriate formation. I'm also adding a bit of luck and predicting 2-0.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Could be an open game with a few goals. I'll also go with the AM optimism and go with 3-1 win.
Hope Nevitt starts with Glatzel or even Manni playing close to him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Should be a good atmosphere and I think we have a decent record at Vale Park. My guess is the line up will be similar to the opening day with the likes of Mani and Spearing coming back in.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Daughter just reminded me last time went there was on a jolly. She was made mascot....we got beat, and then she was asked/ forced to present the M.O.M. match award to the Vale player. Must be 12 years a go....she's just getting over it.
Sticking with 3-1 win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can only like on mobile @Higgy but that’s terrible! Come on Rovers!