• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Vale v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Port Vale have today sacked their manager Neil Aspin and have lost their last four home games, facts which fill me with trepidation ahead of this match. In all seriousness, Vale's home form is poor and we are certainly capable of getting something from this game. After the results in midweek, a serious push for the play-offs looks a forlorn hope. However, if we could win two or three matches in the next week, the closing months of the season would at least be interesting.

Banks is suspended, and I would guess we will line up in the 532 formation with a team similar to this:

Davies
Caprice Nelson Macca Monthe Ridehalgh
McCullough
Perkins Pringle
Jennings
Norwood

Steve McNulty has a had a dip in form, but I don't expect that he will be instantly discarded by Mellon. If they do start, it will be interesting to see how Nelson and Pringle get on.

The weather forecast for the next couple of days is grim, but early indications are that the match will go ahead. We sold our allocation of 1,020 tickets quicker than I expected, so I will be paying on the day with a few others.

Prediction: I think we will get a result, in front of circa 1,200 SWA.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Askey the likely new manager and we didn't have a great record playing his Macclesfield side. Port Vale picked up a decent point at Newport, but had Gibbons sent off a little harshly by Ridehalgh's favourite ref Mr Hair. With the obnoxious Ricky Miller also banned and Pope probably still injured, despite any new manager bounce, it's probably a good time to play the Valiants with their depleted squad.

Unless McNulty's dip in form is linked to an injury, would agree with persisting with 5 at the back, including Big Steve and hoping Nelson's energetic game can balance the central defensive trio.

It looks like a very good turnout by the SWA for this game, who'll see the spoils shared.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Think we’ll sneak a narrow 2-1 win with a 442 in light of recent purchases & Ollie’s suspension ;)

Player
aldo
we have to get back to winning ways . we need more support and help for NORWOOD who needs more support . ans its about time the magnificent away support had a good performance . to reward them . . lets do a cheltenham

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
One bit of support for Nors is that we're expected to pick up a ST at some point today according to Matt Jones.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Whilst I am never confident of rovers on the road, this is surely a great opportunity to get a positive result. Vale will be short on confidence and are missing key players, therefore I would love to see MM set up positively and have a real go at them from the start.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My first away game since the late win at Morecambe in October which seems a long time ago.

We may have 3 starting debutants in Pringle, Morris, Nelson. Plus a striker coming in today apparently.

I don’t expect vast changes but personally I’d go with 4-4-2 and bring Nelson in at the back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We badly need a win and I think we will nick it 2 1

Player
aldo
hope daggers can fire a few in . wonder what mullin must be thinking . he dosent get much game time but does ok when he does

Reactions: Boz

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Saw the ref for this game is Craig Hicks. He was the official for the replay versus Oxford City.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just popped into the shop to get my tickets. They said they’ve heard nothing from Vale about the pitch.

Temperatures tonight should be similar to last night so they should have an idea from what the pitch is like today

I’m rubbish at geography but crewe have justify called their game off

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It's not just the pitch that needs to be ok but also the approaches to the ground. Having no manager in place, will Vale pull out all the stops to ensure the game is on? Just call me cynical ...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's not just the pitch that needs to be ok but also the approaches to the ground. Having no manager in place, will Vale pull out all the stops to ensure the game is on? Just call me cynical ...

Good point. It’s 13 miles between Crewe and port vale apparently. Expect our decision to come in the morning as a local game

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd say it's looking doubtful as the temp isn't rising that much. Night time are pretty cold!!

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Forecast for 2c overnight and 4/5c with a sunny wintry cloudless day at the ground so my fingers are crossed.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hope it is on. MM must be pleased he has 3 strikers to choose from for the 1 or 2 places.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Just checked twitter and their fans are relieved given their current situation.

Oh and they’re all saying it’s fine round there and the weather is forecast to be good tomorrow.

Wonder who the ‘local ref’ is that called it off because the match official is from Surrey.