• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two u.s v rovers

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
u.s v rovers
Posted by Ian
Jobserve Stadium
Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 26, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with some of what you say Boz about Nevitt. He has improved for sure and scored some important goals, but I’m still far from convinced he would score regularly enough at this level e. 15-20 goals a season, even if he had much better service.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A few reflections on what's been already been posted.

{ can understand the logic for playing Hemmings out wide as part of a 3 yesterday, as RLC sets out and thought he did reasonably well in that role. It was interesting that Cogley seemed much more prepared to venture forward than he has recently and it seemed Josh had the confidence in Hemmings to cover his back. Burton fans did highlight Hemmings did a lot of grafting and we have seen some of this during his time at Rovers.

However, I'm less sure about some of the assertions that his lack of goals from open play are down to him being fed the wrong type of ball and not to his strengths when he's deployed as a forward. Perhaps he needs to do a little adapting to how we play, but on the positive we should recognise the contribution he's made by assists to other scorers. I would strongly dissent from some of the dismissive remarks made in respect of Nevitt. Like the team as a whole, Eliott started badly, getting caught offside a few times, though one looked fairly marginal, but grew into the game and did everything right with the second half effort; hit hard well-placed, ball moving in the air, but it was matched by a save of equal quality from George. He's come on in leaps and bounds while improving his fitness and I'm glad he's contracted for next season. Probably along with Merrie one of the main contenders for MoM yesterday.

We seemed to struggle on the left in this game. Macdonald was rarely able to venture forward due to their attacking threat down that side, with the right-back Coxe frequently pressing forward to support the attack. Hawkes is a bit of an enigma, has an eye for goal, but sometimes goes missing and was not at his best so could understand him being subbed. Putting Jolley on and sticking with front 3 made less sense. I did wonder if Micky should have looked at bringing Spearing on for either Foley or Warrington to try and give us more control in the midfield areas, as in the final 20 minutes the hosts were seeing more possession in dangerous areas.
I agree with most of that, although I think the Jolley change did make some sense as it did not disrupt our pattern of play, and Charlie's ball fizzed across the box was probably our best opportunity in the closing stages.

Nevitt would probably have been my man of the match, closely followed by Foley. However, I agree with Sparky that we are light up front in terms of goalscoring threat. We can't place reliance on Nevitt or Jolley to score on a regular basis, and Glatzel is obviously seriously injury prone.

I think Hemmings has really suffered from the Glatzel injury. He is the only other striker that is really on his wavelength, and they were beginning to form a good understanding. The absence of Morris has also hit us hard, particularly away from home, both in terms of creativity and defensive work. Both Hawkes and (particularly) McPake are a bit flaky away from Prenton Park.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There are bound to be bumps in the road for other teams too so let’s see how the next few weeks pan out. football is a funny game.

Player
Manager
John King
Bit after 30 games we were 6 points ahead of fourth and 10 ahead of 7th which shows how poor our results have been
It still does not mean we can't finish in the top seven after forty six games. Form fluctuates for all teams.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Agree there will be bumps in the road ahead for others, but we’ve hit a few potholes with a few more big ones lying ahead. I’d be delighted if we can swerve them, but sadly I’m expecting at least one puncture before the season’s over. Football is a funny game, but not many laughs yesterday. As much as there was some fluidity in our play, we were equally as disjointed at times; maintaining some sort of consistency over 90 minutes is key, in my way of looking at it, over the remaining games.
Stonewall penalty for them for anyone who’s in denial for that one, so we can’t always bemoan our luck.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
but if you don,t score goals as have been said through the season it will catch up to you and it has got to us,let us just hope we keep winning our home games as for away I will not listen to another one this season getting to annoyed with it

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Obviously we won’t score a boat load between now and the end of the season so it’s important to keep the defence tight so we can hopefully nick the three points by a goal or two. As is the Tranmere way, they will probably surprise us with a couple of away wins now!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Watched the highlights again. It’s interesting their manager concedes the ball had gone out before the goal, as on second viewing it looked that way but because of the height of the ball and camera angle I couldn’t be certain. They also reinforced my initial view that we hadn’t played that poorly. It was certainly an improvement on the last away game I watched at Hartlepool where we barely mustered a shot on target.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Watched the highlights again. It’s interesting their manager concedes the ball had gone out before the goal, as on second viewing it looked that way but because of the height of the ball and camera angle I couldn’t be certain. They also reinforced my initial view that we hadn’t played that poorly. It was certainly an improvement on the last away game I watched at Hartlepool where we barely mustered a shot on target.
We were poor in the first half but improved in the second but still didn't create much and tested their keeper 2 or 3 times which is simply not good enough

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Playing well/better/improvement doesn’t equate to victories. Points make prizes and we quickly need to work out a way to scrape victories of any fashion. It is far from over and I won’t give up hope until it’s mathematically impossible and that includes auto and play-off. Despite the weekends‘ disappointment, I’m already looking forward to Saturday (maybe recovering from one helluva hangover’s helping my mood); still wish I had RLC positivity though, attending so many games and remaining as up-beat takes some doing :)!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we have to remain hopeful when there is still a chance. I can understand the reservations from people because it's been pretty poor on the road and there doesn't seem to be much improvement but we have some big home games coming up and if we can come out of these with a few points that will put us right in the mix.

Player
Manager
John King
Playing well/better/improvement doesn’t equate to victories.
It will ultimately, and I don't think there is any doubt that the last four performances have been better than the previous four, and that has been reflected in the results.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It will ultimately, and I don't think there is any doubt that the last four performances have been better than the previous four, and that has been reflected in the results.
RLC, while some of us may question your logic, don't forget we are all on the same side and are desperately hoping that you are right. ;)

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
RLC, while some of us may question your logic, don't forget we are all on the same side and are desperately hoping that you are right. ;)
Agree bbtc. In reality, playing “better” didn’t bring victories against a much-depleted Sutton side or a struggling Colchester side. The quality of the opposition and their form at the time adds context to any comparisons. I’m not for one minute saying I don’t want you to be right though RLC, but right now give me scrappy wins rather than improved performances without the three points. It’s going to be an interesting run-in and let’s hope I’m doffing my cap to you RLC (makes me sound ancient that!) come the season’s end if (sorry, when ;)) your theory proves correct.