• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Two young loanees

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was pleased to see Ronnie has strengthened the squad even more today. We've a young centre-back with league experience called Ryan Edwards, who will cover for Ash and Goodi. As a bonus, we have a 19-year-old Swedish winger from Liverpool, Kristoffer Peterson, who is a bit tricky, according to Ronnie. Both are signed on loan for a month. Clearly, Goodi is not quite right and we need cover anyway. It looks like Ronnie might be losing patience with Bell-Baggie and is trying to give the attack more bite.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You've missed out Jon Otsemabor who has also signed today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ryan Edwards. With Ash's suspension and Goodi lacking match fitness, this makes sense. However wonder why with the funds we have from ending Foster's contract, why it's not been possible to sign a replacement on a longer deal.

Kristoffer Peterson. Looks promising and Bell-Baggie hasn't delivered.

Jon Otsemebor. Puzzled about this. Danny Holmes has improved after a poor start at right-back, Hateley has done ok there too although he seems totally out of favour now. I've seen Otsemebor in action a few times, not bad, but not head and shoulders above what we've already got either.

It doesn't look as though we've loaned anyone out. I would have thought Cole Stockton with about half a dozen goals at this level might have been attractive for a L2 or conference side.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thinking a little more about my question above, I remember Ronnie saying that not much quality was available in the summer and he wasn't going to sign players just to make up numbers. That's why we ended up with a shortage of defenders. We only signed Foster and Horwood and neither has been a success. However, since the season started, he has got some good loanees Ridehalgh and McNulty, for instance) and some interesting out-of-contract players (Hateley, Jennings and Koumas), all on short-term deals. We now have three more loanees. I am assuming that Ronnie's plan is to see how they all fare over the next few games and to try to keep the best until the end of the season. If so, he has been very astute in managing his very limited budget and his strategy now seems to be bearing fruit.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
However wonder why with the funds we have from ending Foster's contract, why it's not been possible to sign a replacement on a longer deal.

In addition to bringing in Dugdale / McNulty we have had to strengthen at left back (Ridehalgh) and centre midfield (Hateley, Jennings) due to our early season problems, so I doubt there is much of the Foster money left, assuming we did not have to pay off part of his contract, which we may well have done. I suppose if there were quality, out of contract players available for the money we are offering, we would not have been scratching round in the summer for players of the quality of Horwood in the first place.

I am pleasantly surprsied and quite excited by these signings. It is about time Liverpool did us any kind of favour, so let us hope Peterson is decent: the number of games he has played for their under-21s suggests he is ok.

I thinl Otsemobor is a good player (you don't play that number of games for MK if you are rubbish) but like Boz, I am slightly puzzled by his signing unless he is going to play centre back ? The majority of our loaness are guaranteed to play under the terms of the loan agreements, so it will be interesting to see how we accommodate this trio.

drwhoman

I may be wrong but JO may well play centre back. You really do need someone experienced there. I remember the problems we had with Barnes partially because his back four were all young. Let us hope for a win. A long journey for Colchester so that may help.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I take the point that we've forked out on loan and out of contract players, so maybe the cupboard is fairly bare. I'd hope there are funds to keep McNulty, maybe Ridehalgh until the end of the season.

Otsemobor may be able to play in central defence, but it's not where he normally features. I can't recall a game where he's been against us and played in that position. I'd actually prefer to play a younger player in Edwards there who is primarily a central defender.

I don't see Sodje going on loan, as Ronnie has made it clear he's ahead of Stockton in the pecking order.